Yes, blind people can go to medical school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
He only got one B in med school.

This is an amazing story. But more importantly, his efforts and persistence are very respectable :)

Members don't see this ad :)
He only got one B in med school.

How do you only get 1 B in medical school, but only be top 1/6 of the class though? I wonder how many straight A students there were!

How do you only get 1 B in medical school, but only be top 1/6 of the class though? I wonder how many straight A students there were!
I bet he was higher than top 1/6...maybe they just put 1/6 because i think thats what alot of school use for induction into AOA.

is he 100% blind or just legally/partially blind like the governor of NY? i don't understand how he can "observe" surgeries if he's completely blind.

He also shuns suggestions his IQ leaves his peers in the dust."I just work hard and study," he says. "If you're not modest, you're probably overestimating yourself."

Smart words.

I believe they said he graduated sixth in his class. So, he was probably 6/100+. That means that, if everyone above him had A's (which may/may not be the case) no more than 5 people could have had straight A's.

i wonder how he took the mcats. and better yet, how did he do on them?

Members don't see this ad :)
April. 5, 2005

And if you're tempted to post an article about Sho Yano, don't.

Reason I'm going to hell:
Something about this stood out...
"An academic whiz, he graduated as valedictorian at the University of Notre Dame as a crowd of 10,000 gave him a standing ovation."

That is really cool though. I'm surprised I haven't heard about that considering I've been living in Madison for years.

Why is that bolded?

He's blind; not paralyzed.

because he wouldn't be able to tell that they are standing

Great story, but would you really want a blind man intubating you or assisting in your surgery? Eek. He'll probably make a great psych.