Yes, I have pay questions - help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cobernavy

cobernavy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are finishing civilian deferrment and about to begin OIS this summer and then go to San Diego, how many years of service do you have when you calculate your pay...

Members don't see this ad.

My husband is also finishing up his civilian residency and will be going on active duty in Oceanside (although he did his OIS at the beginning of medical school). We will be starting as an O-3 with 5 years of service (his residency was 5 years). You can get a letter from Ms. Moore at the Navy Med-Ed department stating exactly what you will be making. We did this so we would have a letter to show the mortgage companies as proof of income.

Members don't see this ad :)
I realize this is a partial thread hijack but...did you get paid during residency (other than regular resident pay). I mean does the Navy sweeten the pot at all or do you simply get paid by the hospital?

No just the hospital pay..

Thanks for the info everyone

I appreciate our tolerance of my stupid questions

3 years, if u did a 3 year residency

Wait...Let me get this straight. If you did a CIVILIAN Internship/Residency, it counts as time in active duty towards pay grade???

That does not really make much sense. In that case, everybody you did a internship then went to do a GMO tour would go up in pay scale after only one year of active duty (From 0-2 years of active duty to 2-4 years).

As an aside, be very careful what your finance office and others will tell you. When I first came on to active duty in July after starting my GMO tour, I was paid as an O-3 with 4 years of active duty service (I guess they were counting my HPSP time since I was commisioned Feb '01). Anyway...After months of telling them that I was getting overpaid and HPSP did not count towards active duty service, they finally realized it 9 months later and now I have to pay back ~$5000 over the course of the next year. Thank god I was putting away the extra money in an online savings account with 5% interest. In addition, I knew it was coming because the same thing happened to multiple interns that were starting at Travis AFB for internship so I was not surprised. However, if anybody can get away with getting paid this way for >2 years, the government can't legally ask for the money back (According to the local JAGs, anyway).

But back to the point, would I be eligible for a pay raise (Not talking about promotion to O-4) this July, if in fact my civilian intership year does count towards time in service? That would make a huge difference in salary if so.

Wait...Let me get this straight. If you did a CIVILIAN Internship/Residency, it counts as time in active duty towards pay grade???

That does not really make much sense. In that case, everybody you did a internship then went to do a GMO tour would go up in pay scale after only one year of active duty (From 0-2 years of active duty to 2-4 years).

As an aside, be very careful what your finance office and others will tell you. When I first came on to active duty in July after starting my GMO tour, I was paid as an O-3 with 4 years of active duty service (I guess they were counting my HPSP time since I was commisioned Feb '01). Anyway...After months of telling them that I was getting overpaid and HPSP did not count towards active duty service, they finally realized it 9 months later and now I have to pay back ~$5000 over the course of the next year. Thank god I was putting away the extra money in an online savings account with 5% interest. In addition, I knew it was coming because the same thing happened to multiple interns that were starting at Travis AFB for internship so I was not surprised. However, if anybody can get away with getting paid this way for >2 years, the government can't legally ask for the money back (According to the local JAGs, anyway).

But back to the point, would I be eligible for a pay raise (Not talking about promotion to O-4) this July, if in fact my civilian intership year does count towards time in service? That would make a huge difference in salary if so.

That is correct. I'm sorry it doesn't make sense. I actually got paid as an 0-3 with 7 years for a while before they figured it out. It is now correct...0-3 with 3 years (I'm in my first year out of a 3-year residency.)

And yes you would be eligible for a pay raise. I'm not sure what you mean by "huge" but to each his own. Civilian residency counts toward pay and rank but not toward retirement.

Your pay grade entry date is based on the day you graduate from medical school. All of your time towards promotion and pay start over on this date. If you do a 7 year residency, you will likely be promoted to LCDR prior to coming on active duty and you will be paid as an O4 over 6. Your special pays are also based on this date so VSP is not based on how long you have been on active duty but how far from medical school you are.

That is correct. I'm sorry it doesn't make sense. I actually got paid as an 0-3 with 7 years for a while before they figured it out. It is now correct...0-3 with 3 years (I'm in my first year out of a 3-year residency.)

And yes you would be eligible for a pay raise. I'm not sure what you mean by "huge" but to each his own. Civilian residency counts toward pay and rank but not toward retirement.

Thanks for your help on the matter. Called MPF and it was confirmed that pay period is based on when you graduated medical school :D (When you first achieve the rank, not when you first start active duty)

...By the way, here is the difference in pay

Flight Pay: Increases from $125 to $156 (Difference $31)
Base Pay: Increases from $3292.20 to $3732.30 (Difference $440.10)

Total $471.10/month * 12 months = 5632.20/year

Maybe not huge, but very significant (about 7% pay increase)

:thumbup: