Yes Or No?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avgapplicant

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would having a family friend (who is a DO) who introduced me to osteopathic medicine and discussed it at lengths be sufficient for the letter of recommendation that schools require or should I try shadowing a DO. My app is decent with a 3.5 GPA and 32 MCAT. Just dont want to be completing my applications too late and wondering which avenue I should take.

Members don't see this ad.

a letter from a DO is a letter from a DO...sounds like this DO would know you better than just one that you randomly shadow (nothing wrong with that), but i say go for it...you are more than an avg. applicant...dont sell yourself short:)

A letter that speaks personally about you is certainly the best type so I say use the letter and submit your applications. I would imagine that would be enough for you to have a good application. If you have time later you could also shadow a D.O. and submit that letter in the future to boost your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a guy who got into EVERY DO school and he had a DO family friend letter of rec. He had decent scores...28MCAT, 3.3 GPA, average extracurriculars. I'd say you've got it in the bag!

As far as I understand, the only letters that would be unacceptable are those written by family members. So if your father was a DO, a letter from him would not be accepted. In your case, I don't think that there is any problem with the letter being from a family friend.

Good luck,

WannabeDO