Yet another adversity essay advice thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Irultop

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between these topics for my adversity essay:

1. Working through a shoulder injury that left me unable to engage in most physical activity for a few months. I would speak on the embarrassment of being unable to do simple tasks like putting on a shirt without someone's help, my mindset during the recovery process, and the insight it provided into being (temporarily) disabled.

2. I worked to launch a disaster-relief initiative for the Caribbean, but ran into challenges in the technological side. The challenges I overcame were: a) making up for my lack of knowledge by recruiting people and networking, b) managing working on the initiative on top of courses/ECs, and c) the general difficulties of ideating and creating a new initiative. I would mostly speak on the leadership experience that this experience provided and I would mention how the leadership skills came in handy in future activities I engaged in.

3. Balancing a full time (40 hrs/week) research workload with coursework/ECs. The main takeaway for me was time management skills and being able to recognize the early signs of burnout and alleviate them through various stress management strategies.

I'm leaning towards #1, but I feel as though I don't have a strong reason for why I had to overcome that adversity. I feel like many sports injury adversity essays are related to how the injury prevented the writer from engaging in a sport/activity that is a core part of their identity. The injury did prevent me from engaging in most physical activity, which I do really enjoy, but I don't have some kind of activity or accomplishment in fitness that I can use to back that up.

Any thoughts/advice would be welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

I like #1. The others aren't really related to adversity--challenge, maybe.

Reactions: 1 users
I like #1. The others aren't really related to adversity--challenge, maybe.
Thanks for the input! Do you think I would need to justify why the injury was an adversity in the context of my life or is it implicitly understood that any non-trivial injury is an adversity?

You are describing needing assistance with basic functions like dressing yourself, for several months. That's adversity in any context, for me. Assuming you were able to overcome the injury, and do well in your classes or whatever....

Reactions: 1 user