Yet Another Conundrum, Advice is Greatly Appreciated!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katydid628

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all you fabulous SDNers out there! I'm sure there have got to be some people out there with a similar situation as mine (or at least some more insight on the subject) so I am wondering what your thoughts are! Basically so far I have been rejected from VMRCVM, CSU, UF (my in state), and am an alternate at LSU and Auburn (after a God-awful interview). I have gotten into UCD Dublin and am still waiting to hear from Tennessee (although I don't see that going well). If I were to guess, I'd say my options will probably wind up being either UCD Dublin or waiting and reapplying next year. This is where I'm not sure what to do. Frankly, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE the opportunity to go to Dublin. I have visited Ireland and Dublin before and think it is quite possibly the most charming place on the planet. There are no doubts as to whether or not the desire to go is there, but I'm wondering whether or not it is the responsible decision. I am expecting (like most of us) to have plenty of debt upon graduation, and Dublin will probably double that debt (compared to my IS school at least). I plan on working like a dog as soon as I graduate, because I really want to pay off my debt as soon as possible. Essentially I don't know what I should do. Do I indulge in my desire to go to vet school in Dublin and face more debt, or do I wait and build up my application more to reapply to a US school next year and hope I have better luck? I feel extremely fortunate to have gotten in anywhere, so I'm sure no matter what happens I will be fine. I'm just wondering what the right thing to do is:confused::confused::/

Members don't see this ad.

Chances are you'll get into Auburn off the waitlist!! I'm not sure about LSU because I didn't apply there. Don't lose hope for getting in this year!

If I were in your situation, a lot would depend on age. I'm 42, and while it looks like I won't be getting into my instate, I do have an accepatance at Kansas, which would be great, but will just cost me about $60k more. I'd love to give it one more shot at my IS, but at my age I just can't see farting around another year and going through another cycle - I'll be approaching my late-40's as it is when I graduate. So if I were in your situation at this age, I'd go wherever I could get in - and it sounds like you will really love Dublin, so all the better. If, however, you're, say, only in your mid-20's, then you don't have too much to lose by trying for your instate again next year. Do a good file review, focus on whatever you need to do to improve, and chances are you'll do better next year. So I guess, from my perspective, a lot just depends on how much of a "rush" you are in to get this done and if you can make great use of the next year if you don't go anyplace.

Members don't see this ad :)
might consider running the numbers out, and calculating the cost of waiting another year as well to see what the real cost differences are.

I don't have much advice, just empathy - I have an acceptance to U of Edinburgh, which is awesome. I got rejected from Cornell, haven't heard from Penn (aka I'm rejected), and I interviewed at Tufts but haven't gotten a decision yet.

If I DON'T get into Tufts, do I leave the country, sell my horse, transport all 4 (or some, or none) of my cats across the pond, potentially leave my boyfriend behind? Then I could start my education in vet school at an AMAZING program, live in the coolest city ever, and have a great chance to study abroad? Or do I postpone ANOTHER year and reapply in the US? Get residency in a state I actually want to study in? Get more experience, blah blah blah.

Oy. It makes your head hurt to think about it, yes? Frankly, at this point, I've decided that I CAN'T decide until I have all the information. I have to wait to hear from Tufts first, then I can deal with it. I'd take as much time as you have before making the decision, weighing all the options and the pros and cons.

I totally understand this concern. I interviewed and was accepted to Glasgow. I also I have an interview at UPEI AVC....and I am REALLY hoping and praying for good things with this. I have heard great things about this UPEI!!!! I am also very happy to have been accepted to Glasgow. I have been rejected from all school applied accept for the two mentioned and still waiting on OK State. I am a VA resident. AVC would logistically be easier. I am not married, have no children and at present time am single. But I have a dog, a Rhodesian Ridgeback, who is 9 years old. She is coming with me....but she is older and the trip overseas for her I think will be hard plus the expense, etc etc. Plus I have debt and I scrambling to pay off (this is just my credit card)....I would have to sell my car if I went to Scotland...and I upside down on that...so if I were to sell I'd still be paying on the balance. Plus I would have to borrow $$$$$$$ for the Scotland option. The Canada (pending successful interview and acceptance) is logistically easier than Scotland..... I am really excited about AVC. I mean AVC will cost $$$$...but still logistically easier.
Plus the debt when I get out especially when I think of Scotland....am I still going to be single....will my life ever move on to that next phase, career and personal. My head spins and is enough to give me an ulcer....and I can empathize really I can. But I have decided to wait 'til all my remaining info is on the table to worry anymore about it.....as I will lose more sleep than I already have. ;) Katydid628 - I think you should wait until you have heard all of the news....even if this means you have to wait until April 14th. In my opinion this is the best way for you to feel good about the decision you made; and try to but your worries and concerns aside for a bit (I know easier said than done). :)

I know, all of this debating business is driving me absolutely crazy:( I feel very lucky to even have gotten in anywhere, but I am so horrible at making decisions normally (I can never even decide what the heck I want to eat for dinner, much less my whole future) that this is seriously driving me nuts. I keep going over the options over and over in my head, trying to calculate costs and whatnot, much less think about what in the heck will happen with me and my boyfriend of 5 years and all my other family and friends I will hardly ever see. I feel that I very rarely am the one with the opportunity to do something amazing (I have never really had the means to travel or do much of anything) so I kind of feel like this is the opportunity I've been waiting for, but at the same time I don't want to spend the entirety of my vet career freaking out about paying off loans! Oy. I am only a first time applicant, so I would hope that this isn't my only shot at going to vet school, but it would be soooo so hard turning down a chance to get my beloved vet degree AND do it in such an amazing place. Ugh. So many things to think about, I think my brain might explode!!! :(:( I just keep telling myself to think of 6 months from now, because I will have to have made a decision by then, right??

Katydid628 - I think you should wait until you have heard all of the news....even if this means you have to wait until April 14th. In my opinion this is the best way for you to feel good about the decision you made; and try to but your worries and concerns aside for a bit (I know easier said than done). :)

You're right, and since I am and always have been a huge worrier, I am naturally worrying about this before having all the facts:/ I'm very glad to know there are other people in a similar predicament as me (minus the whole it causing lots of misery thing, I do not wish that on anyone!). I do wish that I could know whether or not I am getting off either alternate list before sending my $2700 check off to Dublin, but since I have to send the money by the end of March I don't see that happening:(

Oh just another sympathetic person. No real advice. Have to solve my own problems before I can help someone with theirs lol.

So far the front runners for my choices are Edinburgh and A&M. Haven't been accepted to A&M yet but I really think I will given past years and my stats this year.

Anyhow, the difference in tuition between the two is $75,000, which turns into $100,000 over 10 years, and $150,000 over 20 years. So do I trade a once in a lifetime opportunity for money or go with security in the long term? This would be a lot simpler if A&M just rejected me lol.

I don't have very much advice but I'll let you know what I do know. My dad is a veterinarian and my dad's hospital runs a internship program. My dad said that although a lot of the applicants applying to his hospitals internship program were very well qualified, had awesome stats, and he respected, a lot of them had issues re-establishing back in the US. He said that there were a lot of problems with some International schools, and that if I don't get in the first year to a U.S. schools I should just apply again. I am not sure if that is just because certain schools do not have accreditation. or if that applies to schools like Glasgow, Dublin, Massey. So that is my two sense even if it is not that helpful :[

Last edited:
I don't have much advice, just empathy - I have an acceptance to U of Edinburgh, which is awesome. I got rejected from Cornell, haven't heard from Penn (aka I'm rejected), and I interviewed at Tufts but haven't gotten a decision yet.

I'm in a similar situation. I have an acceptance to U of Edinburgh, Dublin, and Massey. Haven't heard from Davis or UPenn (so I can rightly assume a rejection). Have gotten rejections (before and after interviews) or couldn't attend interviews for various reasons from the other US schools (and I personally have rejected Western no matter what the letter will say in March). So my options are international or wait a year. My very supportive fiance (who wouldn't be coming with me) told me "go to school".

I don't have very much advice but I'll let you know what I do know. My dad is a veterinarian and so are a lot of others in my family (10 actually) and my dad's hospital along with some of my uncles run internship program, or they have in the past. My dad said that although a lot of the applicants applying to his hospitals internship program were very well qualified, had awesome stats, and he respected, a lot of them had issues re-establishing back in the US. He said that there were a lot of problems with some International schools, and that if I don't get in the first year to a U.S. schools I should just apply again. I am not sure if that is just because certain schools do not have accreditation. or if that applies to schools like Glasgow, Dublin, Massey. So that is my two sense even if it is not that helpful :[

Ugh, please tell me this only applies to the non-AVMA schools. I've heard people have had no problems coming from U of Edinburgh, though I'm unsure how reliable those sources were. But then, if I don't do an internship and go straight into practice, I already have a job at the place I work at now! :) But if there is a problem coming from an international school (because I'm thinking I'm going to do an internship), then I may wait a year. Anyway you can find out and let us know??

Alright, I'm going to be the voice of insanity... I just made it through a really difficult year, and through a very complex personal journey realized that over the past 10 years of my life I've regretted a lot more of what I haven't done than what I have done.

Wherever you go, you will end up with huge debt. When it comes down to it, you're going to owe A LOT of money whether you attend school in the states or abroad. But if you're smart or you choose to live frugally for a while out of vet school you can pay it off in a few years and go on to enjoy yourself for years to come. In the meantime, life is all about the journey and the experiences you CAN have. You SHOULD go for the school you want because you CAN. It WILL be an amazing experience - how many people get the opportunity to both go to vet school AND live outside the country for a few years? You have the opportunity of a lifetime...take it while you can and run with it! You only get so many chances in life and the last thing you want is to look back and ask "What if?"

So, my bad financial but good for the soul advice is to go with the school you REALLY want to attend. You'll love it.

I applied for the first time last year and was rejected from all 5 schools. At the time of that application cycle I was in the middle of my senior year. I then went on to graduate college, present a senior research thesis, got more experience and established residency in a state that has a vet school. I'm not sure what made the difference - actually graduating college, being able to put my honors on my app along with my thesis but this application cycle I applied to 8 schools and heard positive things (interviews or acceptances) from 6. I definitely think that vet schools love to see dedication (applying more then once). In fact, I applied to Iowa this year for the 2nd time and they sent me an email saying that they tore up my check and were waiving the fee since I applied last year. Don't give up hope if this is your first year applying. You might be surprised as to what next year brings ;)

Ugh, please tell me this only applies to the non-AVMA schools. I've heard people have had no problems coming from U of Edinburgh, though I'm unsure how reliable those sources were. But then, if I don't do an internship and go straight into practice, I already have a job at the place I work at now! :) But if there is a problem coming from an international school (because I'm thinking I'm going to do an internship), then I may wait a year. Anyway you can find out and let us know??

It doesnt apply to grads from the "good" AVMA accred schools - going to the UK, Australia and New Zealand, you will get just as good if not better education than any school in the states. Don't worry about not being "top notch". People from the Australian schools match into internships and residencies in the US all the time, I've never heard of them having problems doing so - even really competitive ones like equine surgery.

Another thing to consider - maybe you should stay in the UK and work for a bit. UK vets make quite a bit of bank (many thanks to pet insurance!) and a lot of positions come with accomodation and a car (on top of a GREAT salary!) Hence why so many Australian vets go to the UK to practice. So if your worried about the cost... the income might help :)

Alright, I'm going to be the voice of insanity... I just made it through a really difficult year, and through a very complex personal journey realized that over the past 10 years of my life I've regretted a lot more of what I haven't done than what I have done.

Wherever you go, you will end up with huge debt. When it comes down to it, you're going to owe A LOT of money whether you attend school in the states or abroad. But if you're smart or you choose to live frugally for a while out of vet school you can pay it off in a few years and go on to enjoy yourself for years to come. In the meantime, life is all about the journey and the experiences you CAN have. You SHOULD go for the school you want because you CAN. It WILL be an amazing experience - how many people get the opportunity to both go to vet school AND live outside the country for a few years? You have the opportunity of a lifetime...take it while you can and run with it! You only get so many chances in life and the last thing you want is to look back and ask "What if?"

So, my bad financial but good for the soul advice is to go with the school you REALLY want to attend. You'll love it.

Good point. I think I needed to be reminded that that very reason you gave is why I applied abroad. Thanks! :)

It doesnt apply to grads from the "good" AVMA accred schools - going to the UK, Australia and New Zealand, you will get just as good if not better education than any school in the states. Don't worry about not being "top notch". People from the Australian schools match into internships and residencies in the US all the time, I've never heard of them having problems doing so - even really competitive ones like equine surgery.

Another thing to consider - maybe you should stay in the UK and work for a bit. UK vets make quite a bit of bank (many thanks to pet insurance!) and a lot of positions come with accomodation and a car (on top of a GREAT salary!) Hence why so many Australian vets go to the UK to practice. So if your worried about the cost... the income might help :)

Thanks! This helps a lot!! Definitely eases my worries a bit.

Here's hoping for a rejection, then!

Have to say, I certainly wasn't heartbroken when my IS rejected me. I've never been a big Cornell fan, or a big Ithaca fan, or a big New York fan. I'm glad I don't have to choose the cheap option.

I felt the same way about my IS school. i wasnt feeling the students and i hardly met any faculty and i didnt like where the school was located. I had a week of depression when I was waiting to hear back from my dream school after having been rejected by my IS. It all worked out though! now i can go OOS and not have to feel guilty about my expensive decision!!

I was worrying over the same things! But I've decided to go to Dublin :0)

My reasoning: F*** it, I'm moving to Ireland and having a great time, while doing what I've always wanted to do! I'll worry about the money later. My only problem now is getting my massive dog across the pond ...

The average number of times applying to vet school before getting accepted is 2.4 times, but I'm 25 and this is my 2nd round of apps and I really think the Dublin program is going to suit my style of learning. And what would the real difference be if I waited another year and had to deal with all of this stress all over again?

My recommendation is don't make any decisions until you have all of the necessary information (because then you might regret something) ... then weigh the facts ... THEN throw them all out the window and go with your gut!

Good luck, maybe I'll see you in Dublin?

-M.A.

I was worrying over the same things! But I've decided to go to Dublin :0)

My reasoning: F*** it, I'm moving to Ireland and having a great time, while doing what I've always wanted to do! I'll worry about the money later. My only problem now is getting my massive dog across the pond ...

The average number of times applying to vet school before getting accepted is 2.4 times, but I'm 25 and this is my 2nd round of apps and I really think the Dublin program is going to suit my style of learning. And what would the real difference be if I waited another year and had to deal with all of this stress all over again?

My recommendation is don't make any decisions until you have all of the necessary information (because then you might regret something) ... then weigh the facts ... THEN throw them all out the window and go with your gut!

Good luck, maybe I'll see you in Dublin?

-M.A.

Lol I must say I like your reasoning...yeah I did finally get rejected from Tennessee, so I am waitlisted at Auburn and LSU and rejected from everywhere else. I am about 95% that I am heading across the pond, and as much as the debt worries me, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't totally psyched!!!!:):)

Lol I must say I like your reasoning...yeah I did finally get rejected from Tennessee, so I am waitlisted at Auburn and LSU and rejected from everywhere else. I am about 95% that I am heading across the pond, and as much as the debt worries me, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't totally psyched!!!!:):)

Go for it! Why not go for the amazing experience?