Yet another helo down 6/8/2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you see...this worries me because I plan on matching to a program that you fly in your 3rd yr.....scene flights..landing on bridges and crap like that.

I "hard landing" crashed in Afghanistan and have always been a little nervous in helos since that day..think I might have picture of helo somewhere....

Members don't see this ad :)
you see...this worries me because I plan on matching to a program that you fly in your 3rd yr.....scene flights..landing on bridges and crap like that.

I "hard landing" crashed in Afghanistan and have always been a little nervous in helos since that day..think I might have picture of helo somewhere....
If you're that concerned, then you shouldn't rank a program where flight time is required. A lot of programs make it optional though, but I'm not sure if they would hold up to their "option" if someone tried not to fly.

Helicopter EMS has always been and always will be an inherently dangerous profession.

3 crashes within a month? When I was in the military, when something like this would happen we would have a stand-down where all flights ceased until an investigation could determine if there was anything that could be done to prevent further accidents. I wonder if something of the sort is in order here?

I have no idea what the cause of any of these accidents was, but maybe the NTSB could appoint a commission to investigate and see if there are any systemic changes that need to be made in this field.

This wouldn't be enough to stop me from applying to a certain program. I also enjoy flying, it just seems like the medivac helos seem like they are dropping out of the sky every other week now.

Another difference is that now I have 2 young kids and a TON of debt......

I would have to talk with my wife about taking ground vs. air ambulance month.

I remember when I was a RT in the ED and my frienf that was a 3rd yr EM resident would land at my hospital, fresh from an accident scene....I always thought that was cool...I'll probably still fly!

Last edited:
This flight was enroute to our hospital when it crashed (Memorial Hermann in Houston). Didn't know the crew personally, but have seen them in the ED before.

My wife wouldn't let me ride out on the helicopter before, now she definitely won't.

All of our thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and family of the crew and patient.

-EM Junkie

I heard about this all the way up here in Pa. It does seem they are coming down in droves the last 4-6 weeks.

Thoughts and prayers for all involved.

jd