Yet Another "My Test" Summary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

secretwave101

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty much at the end of the Step I test cycle, so this summary may not be helpful to anyone. But I've appreciated the contributions of everyone else - so here's my part:

Either my test got messed up and gave me credit for doing an entire block that I didn't do, or I forgot that I did a block (the latter is more probable). Either way, I took 1 short break and upon returning I saw that I had less than 4 hours to finish 4 blocks. I then rushed through the next two blocks to try to make up the time (on the advice of the lady running the testing center). Later, I clicked on the little clock icon in the upper right of the screen and it said I had done more blocks that I thought I had done.

However, because I thought I had somehow lost time, I had rushed two blocks and skipped all breaks. Not stopping for lunch or to even look away from the screen gave me a headache that had reached migrane proportions by block 7. By the end, I could hardly see the screen.

All this to say: Do the dang tutorial at the beginning! I woulda known about the "clock icon" and wouldn't have made the dumb decision to ask the test proctor for help. She didn't know anything, and just told me to "catch up". Also, bring painkillers in case you get a headache from the computer screen. I worked at a .com before med school so I figured I could stare at a screen for 7 hours w/o problems, but for a number of reasons, that wasn't the case. Deciphering those graphs and extensive A-J answer options through the haze of a migrane is pretty tough.

I agree with a couple of other posters who have suggested that the Kaplan questions aren't the answer to the world's problems. Nor is 1st Aid. The questions are pretty scattershot, so you can't review in a step-wise manner. And 1st Aid was just basically impossible for me to truly memorize; it was too boring and really just an endless list of facts. The most effective thing I did was really crank through BRS Path, Phys and Lippincott Pharm.

The test is not a "high-yield" type of test. It also isn't as much of a reasoning thing as the MCAT. You have to know stuff, AND be able to come up with probable answers based on what you know. 1st Aid makes it seem like the test will be "cimetedine = ?". But it just isn't that simple. Knowing the mechanism of cimetidine will be much more helpful because the scenario you will get won't be something you can memorize. It'll be unique and will require some good reasoning based on what you know of different drug mechanisms.

I don't know how I did on the test. Probably not too well. My scores on Kaplan were usually in the 50's, and other diagnostic indicators weren't promising. Because I was so stressed out by "diagnosing" myself, I dramatically changed my study pattern for the final 2 weeks - I quit with all the on-line questions, all the self-diagnostic scoring, toned 1st Aid WAAAY down, and instead just busted through the "big 3" review books cover to cover, actively reading each page and doing the questions at the end of each chapter. I wish I'd done that for the entire 5 weeks I'd studied, maybe incorporating 1st Aid in more toward the end as well as some questions.

Finally, I think that to do well on the test, you should make sure you REALLY know the actual diseases/bugs/drugs and their mechanisms. There are very few (if any) 1-word associations. The goal should be to obtain true knowledge of the basic priciples of the material. You should know the material well enough to reason with it - just remembering the deatails isn't enough, and just being good at reasoning isn't enough...you gotta be able to do both.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I agree with you that the NBME needs to make the time left and blocks left very clear. As it stands now, the computer shows you only the time left. It doesn't say how many blocks you have left. So I had to keep a running track of how many blocks I had done and how many I had left. Granted, this tracking seems elementary but when you've done about 200 questions, you're mind really starts to get fried, and it's easy to lose track.

As for the tutorial, I too wished I had at least skimmed it. I thought the tutorial would be the same as the nbme online tests, but it turns out it's not exactly the same. The difference is the real test has tutorials on how to take breaks, how to keep track of time, etc. I skipped 'em all, which caused me extra anxiety later on as I tried to figure out how the break thing worked.

After I myself took the exam, I came across a stunning revelation in my mind, I think :D For First Aid, some enterprising author should take FA and add in all the damn details. As it is now, everyone is constantly going back to reference books and other review books to "fill in" FA. Big, big hassle. Some might argue that you''ll be creating a new textbook. True. But this expanded FA could be used as a first read, with the official FA then serving as the actual review source. The FA now is too bony -- someone needs to flesh it out a little more. I'd bet my money that book would sell...

I literally would have bet money that I had done 3 blocks - I was THAT sure of it - but the computer said I'd done 4. I had strategized when I'd take breaks and how many blocks I would do back-to-back so it was important to know how many blocks I'd done.

I would have sworn to you that I knew EXACTLY where I was, and even now I wonder if the computer messed up. If I fail, I'll wonder if it is because I "missed" 50 consecutive questions that I actually never saw.

Either way, I should have done the tutorial. The layout IS different than the practice questions.

Is there a chance you could have started a block and immediately exited it? I don't know how that could happen, but you could probably do it if you accidentally went right to the Item Review screen and hit "Done." I'm sure you would have seen a warning, though, that you hadn't completed the test items.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good thought.

I suppose anything is possible, but I'm pretty sure the problem lies with just being a dumb-head.

A word of advice for incoming MS1's and MS2's...

secretwave's original post illustrates a very important point: you need to learn everything very well during your first 2 years. Important concepts and details are the key. Don't count on "just passing" and then somehow aceing the Step-1.

That way, the final 5-6 weeks of study are review. best of luck.

and to secretwave:

you probably did better than you think. Exam day is rather stressful, and people tend to focus on what they didn't know, rather than on how many questions they were easily able to answer.

Originally posted by doc05
A word of advice for incoming MS1's and MS2's...

secretwave's original post illustrates a very important point: you need to learn everything very well during your first 2 years. Important concepts and details are the key. Don't count on "just passing" and then somehow aceing the Step-1.

That way, the final 5-6 weeks of study are review. best of luck.

and to secretwave:

you probably did better than you think. Exam day is rather stressful, and people tend to focus on what they didn't know, rather than on how many questions they were easily able to answer.

I thought I had screwed it up but I actually did very well. Don't worry.

generally agree with most of the advice given on here, just a few points:
1)Like everyone said, you probably did better than you think; I scored about 20 points higher than my estimate at the end of test day. So go out and enjoy the beautiful weather, spouse, kids, hobbies, whatever makes you happy, 'cause that test is over!

2)I agree that Q-bank and First Aid are not enough, but they are core references which are meant to be used as a starting point and to assess how much you've learned. The First Aid Intro essentially says as much and recommends useful references for studying. SDN is a good source of info as well. Some people on here like to blame the "inadequacy" of FA on their performance, and that's just not right.

3)I recommend staying away from SDN when scores start to come in.. With the large number of 240+ scores posted, people with lower scores than that (including self, tho I did well) end up feeling bad and whining and complaining about the unfairness of it all. If you end up with a score that is less than ideal for your chosen specialty, kicking butt on Step 2 and in your clinical rotations will more than make up for it, IMO.

4)Finally, if the worst happens and you did fail, a very solid majority of people pass on the second try and are able to match well in their residencies. It must be a pain to retake, but I know 2 people who are doing that right now and am confident they'll pass. I also know a current 4th year at my school who was able to retake Step 1 with minimal disruption to her schedule.