Yet Another Nontrad Seeking Some Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buffyfreak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been lurking around here and learning lots for a few weeks now! Just joined because I couldn't resist asking for some advice for myself. I hope in the future I'll prove to be a wealth of knowledge for others, but right now, I'm going to be greedy and soak up all the good information you guys have! :laugh:

Anyway, some background info - I graduated about three years ago with a BA in Political Science. I was originally premed, but all the chem and bio scared me off, and I convinced myself I wasn't smart enough. Lo and behold, 6 years later, I'm realizing I AM smart enough, and that I really want to pursue medicine.

Easy enough, right? Just join a post-bac program and get started!

Not quite, though. When I graduated with my BA, I was suffering from severe panic attacks and anxiety, and had to go to therapy to deal with them. Once I got that taken care of, there have been constant family medical issues to tackle. I'm currently living at home helping out with a sick parent. It's pretty much like having a full time job, which makes the prospect of joining a post-bac program impossible. Taking classes at a local 4-year university is quite difficult because the closest 4-year to me is about 45 minutes away. Factoring in traffic and general commute time, that's an extra two hours, on top of lecture time and labs. With the way my sick parent is right now, I'm lucky if I can get a couple evenings to myself.

I've been reading up on the community college vs. 4-year debate for pre-reqs. I understand that in an ideal situation, one should take their pre-reqs at a 4-year university. However, if I were to do that, I'd have to put off any plans of taking my med school pre-reqs at least until next fall. And even then I won't have a guarantee of my sick parent being any better.

My options are waiting until next year to start a post-bac, wait a year to start taking classes at the closest 4-year, or to start taking classes immediately, one or two at a time, at my local community college.

Given the fact that I have a responsibility towards my family and that I really can't join a formal post-bac program or take all my pre-reqs at a 4-year, will this put me at disadvantage? I keep reading that adcoms are people too and not just robots looking at school names and numbers. I'm looking for some solid advice (good or bad) to get a broader perspective on this whole pre-med journey. I don't want to begin the journey feeling disheartened or defeated just because I'll have community college pre-reqs.

One more question, given all the circumstances, I have a severe gap in my extracurriculars and employment between when I graduated and now. With the exception of some odds and end volunteering and things I've done, all my activities and achievements are at least three years old. Is that going to make me appear like a slacker or total bum?!

If you took the time to read all that, thank you! And if you have some advice, an even bigger thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been lurking around here and learning lots for a few weeks now! Just joined because I couldn't resist asking for some advice for myself. I hope in the future I'll prove to be a wealth of knowledge for others, but right now, I'm going to be greedy and soak up all the good information you guys have! :laugh:
:hello: welcome! No worries - this is why the forum exists.

Anyway, some background info - I graduated about three years ago with a BA in Political Science. I was originally premed, but all the chem and bio scared me off, and I convinced myself I wasn't smart enough. Lo and behold, 6 years later, I'm realizing I AM smart enough, and that I really want to pursue medicine.

Easy enough, right? Just join a post-bac program and get started!

Not quite, though. When I graduated with my BA, I was suffering from severe panic attacks and anxiety, and had to go to therapy to deal with them. Once I got that taken care of, there have been constant family medical issues to tackle. I'm currently living at home helping out with a sick parent. It's pretty much like having a full time job, which makes the prospect of joining a post-bac program impossible. Taking classes at a local 4-year university is quite difficult because the closest 4-year to me is about 45 minutes away. Factoring in traffic and general commute time, that's an extra two hours, on top of lecture time and labs. With the way my sick parent is right now, I'm lucky if I can get a couple evenings to myself.

I've been reading up on the community college vs. 4-year debate for pre-reqs. I understand that in an ideal situation, one should take their pre-reqs at a 4-year university. However, if I were to do that, I'd have to put off any plans of taking my med school pre-reqs at least until next fall. And even then I won't have a guarantee of my sick parent being any better.

My options are waiting until next year to start a post-bac, wait a year to start taking classes at the closest 4-year, or to start taking classes immediately, one or two at a time, at my local community college.

Given the fact that I have a responsibility towards my family and that I really can't join a formal post-bac program or take all my pre-reqs at a 4-year, will this put me at disadvantage?
I am of the opinion that a formal post-bacc is not necessarily better than a DIY post-bacc. Furthermore, if you are asking what will maximize your chances at admissions - then I think you already know taking classes at a community college is not ideal. Then again, you have reasons for doing it. I'm not going to tell you that CC classes have no effect on whether you will get you in - nobody can see the future but the general consensus is that they are "easier" and therefore it is difficult to determine how well you really did. I would suggest taking some classes elsewhere if you do end up at the CC - maybe the more "difficult" requirements at the university.

In short, I guess I would try to dissuade you from doing all of your prereqs at a community college. But short of that - I am not sure you should lose sleep over it as long as it was for a good reason.

I keep reading that adcoms are people too and not just robots looking at school names and numbers. I'm looking for some solid advice (good or bad) to get a broader perspective on this whole pre-med journey. I don't want to begin the journey feeling disheartened or defeated just because I'll have community college pre-reqs.
They are not robots. :hungover: They volunteer to do this and have an interest in choosing great candidates for our program and generally are outgoing folks at my school. I am sure it is the same elsewhere. However, you still cannot count on their humanity to get you an interview. You really need to put your best foot forward.

One more question, given all the circumstances, I have a severe gap in my extracurriculars and employment between when I graduated and now. With the exception of some odds and end volunteering and things I've done, all my activities and achievements are at least three years old. Is that going to make me appear like a slacker or total bum?!
In a word, maybe. I think you need to get some shadowing in - especially if you haven't done this before. Also, I think having more recent patient contact in a volunteer-capacity is a good idea too. But of these two, the shadowing is probably important if you haven't done so yet.

If you took the time to read all that, thank you! And if you have some advice, an even bigger thank you!
Again, welcome.

I am so, so, sorry to hear about your situation. That must be so challenging to handle. I would do what you can with what you have. The important thing is to simply get started doing something. Sounds like you need that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! All of that is good advice. I think I'll probably end up doing a mix of starting out at the CC right now and hopefully getting to a 4-year later. I think it's one of those things where I know in my heart what I need to do, but it's nice to get some reassurance! CC classes, as you mentioned, aren't ideal, but I think it's better to pursue those than give up before even getting started! :)

I'm excited to be part of this community! It's so inspiring and motivating to see people pursuing their dreams and aspirations! I think it's amazing that people like yourself are taking the time out to help others (like me)! I know during my undergrad kids wouldn't even share notes or study together because everyone was "competition"! So scary!

Thank you for your kind words! It's definitely challenging, but I've learned a lot about patience, selflessness, and compassion, which are all important lessons to learn. Do what you can, with what you have, wherever you are, right? It's just been therapeutic to get my story out there and knowing that people relate, understand, and sympathize! :)

Because of my job, I have access to a lot of doctors and medical students that sit on ad com boards and decide who gets into medical school and who doesn't. It seems like over the past few years there as been a bit of a paradise shift in the way that "non-trads" are looked at. You have a story, Your story has personal hurdles and those personal hurdles show that you have a passion for medicine. Life doesn't work the same way for all of us and I think that ad coms are starting to see that. Although a gap in time isn't ideal, if you can explain its reason and also show how it has turned you into a better person and perhaps a better physician because of it, then you are turning those lemons into lemonade! Explain your situation, show them why you are a better person because of it and follow your passion! Someone will see this, you'll get a shot and after you become a doctor, the healthcare world will be better for it!

Onwards!

Just want to echo the good wishes. I have a similar situation to yours (graduated three years ago, thought I wasn't smart enough, anxiety issues, etc.), and congratulate you on working on your issues, which we all have in one way or another. So sorry to hear about your parent, and I do think adcoms will understand if you start at a CC and take most of the requirements at a normal 4-year.

Good luck to you.

Because of my job, I have access to a lot of doctors and medical students that sit on ad com boards and decide who gets into medical school and who doesn't. It seems like over the past few years there as been a bit of a paradise shift in the way that "non-trads" are looked at. You have a story, Your story has personal hurdles and those personal hurdles show that you have a passion for medicine. Life doesn't work the same way for all of us and I think that ad coms are starting to see that. Although a gap in time isn't ideal, if you can explain its reason and also show how it has turned you into a better person and perhaps a better physician because of it, then you are turning those lemons into lemonade! Explain your situation, show them why you are a better person because of it and follow your passion! Someone will see this, you'll get a shot and after you become a doctor, the healthcare world will be better for it!

Onwards!

That's very reassuring to hear, thank you! Here's hoping the adcoms will be in our favor! :laugh:

Just want to echo the good wishes. I have a similar situation to yours (graduated three years ago, thought I wasn't smart enough, anxiety issues, etc.), and congratulate you on working on your issues, which we all have in one way or another. So sorry to hear about your parent, and I do think adcoms will understand if you start at a CC and take most of the requirements at a normal 4-year.

Good luck to you.

Thank you! I wish you success on your med school journey as well!