Yet ANOTHER Postdoc App Thread (ughh) - "General" Clinical Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xepa777

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

From my understanding, a major difference between internship and postdoc apps is that postdoc cover letters are much more specific / tailored to the site.

However....how does that work for postdocs that are "general clinical psychology"? There are some postdoc sites that are as general as it can get...adult population, a rotation between like 12 different emphasis areas...equal part research and clinical work.

What's the angle for these places? I mean you could just say "I want to be a psychologist for adults" but it's much harder to differentiate vs. applying for a post-doc centered around technology, or children, or neuro (obv). How do sites even distinguish candidates for postdocs that are so general/rotational in nature? Is it just a matter of total #s / patients / listing every freaking condition you've seen to show "general"ness?

Sorry if this is a dumb sounding thread lol, you can clearly tell I need guidance!

Members don't see this ad.

What led you to choose to apply to the site? Those are the factors you should highlight in a cover letter. For example, if you like the organization, location (i.e., urban/rural area, diversity of patients, etc.), type of research, etc. You can still show your interest in working with adults with a wide variety of presenting problems, but I would encourage you to consider including some of these other factors. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users