Yet Another Waitlist Thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obveocity

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there! I ended up getting onto the first quartile on a waiting list. I realize this may sound a bit stupid, but I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me what in God's name this means. Does the AdCom still have discretion over who to pick, can you still get rejected because of a bad grade, can you get deprioritized and be transferred into a different quartile???? Basically, are the waitlist rankings set in stone, or can they change for any obscure reason? And if they're not set in stone, what types of things can change your ranking? Thanks in advance for any info!

I think I'm about to have a coronary stressing over the waitlist thing! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

The answers to all of these questions, of course, depend on the school.

hey obveocity
I feel your pain. Each school has its own way of doing their waitlists. I am on the wl at USF and they use a strict ranking with some sort of numerical score assigned to each waitlistee at the meeting. From what I understand at USF your position can not go up or down. This is contrasted UF who has a non ranked waitlist. I guess they must review everyone on the list each time they go to fill a vacancy. For the schools like UF and others, I guess its important to send transcript updates and the like. hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Call the school and find out how they handle it. I am on two waitlists and they tended not to write a lot in the letters that they sent. A congratz on being selected as acceptable but you get to wait till someone more acceptable hates us and runs away.... :)

No matter what the fun will start moving more around May 15th

Is it acceptable to call a school and find out what number on the wait list you are (if it is in fact ranked)? This would feel really awkward to me.

redsox24 said:
Is it acceptable to call a school and find out what number on the wait list you are (if it is in fact ranked)? This would feel really awkward to me.

Yes, just don't be calling every day.... I always hear them bitching in admissions about the people who call every day.

BassDominator said:
Yes, just don't be calling every day.... I always hear them bitching in admissions about the people who call every day.

I agree with this, you want to be aggressive, but don't be annoying. I worked in the undergrad admissions office at my school as a work study job and everyone complained about the annoying people that kept calling.

Just call and be polite, the people working in the offices understand the stress that everyone has, but don't wear out your welcome.

Thanks...still not sure if I can get the courage to call and find out that info.! I would imagine that many schools keep that info. confidential (i.e. your number on the wait list)? Doesn't this waiting game stink!? I can't imagine going all summer not knowing at all where I will be or what I will be doing in the fall!