Yet another WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarice starling

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
NC resident. Reapplicant, cGPA 3.89, sGPA 3.78, MCAT 508. 500+ research hours in 3 labs, 1 journal submitted for publication, 100 shadowing hours, team leader for ALS Walk for 7 years, current hospital volunteer for only ~3 months (ongoing weekly commitment for a year), mentor @ homeless shelter ~50 hrs. Worked at a pediatric clinic during college for 7 mos with 500+ hrs. Last 9 months have been spent working full time (healthcare recruiter, no patient contact.)

I applied last cycle very blindly to top-tier schools and 2 mid-tier schools. Primary submitted late July, verified Aug 31st and secondaries not subbed until Sept/Oct (due to $ and fear of hitting submit.)

Out of 10 schools, was only given an II to one (ECU), the rest flat out rejections. Ended up getting rejected from ECU. I had an exit interview and was told that shadowing and volunteering were areas to improve and the main reason I was given an II was due to my numbers (submitted secondary to ECU on the deadline.)

I know many of you probably think I must have been drugged to have applied to the schools I did, when I did, with the stats and ECs I have, and I now (humbly) share that opinion. However, is applying this round again a total waste of time/money/pride/etc? The only new areas of my app will be the hospital volunteering, the healthcare recruiting position, and potentially a Med scribe position that I'm waiting to hear back on (would be full time, but wouldn't be included on my primary app since I haven't started yet.) I've also changed my list of schools entirely (except for 3) plan on applying to schools much closer to my stats, and will be submitting my apps ASAP instead of in September.

So my questions are: what are my chances of getting into an MD school this round, and has anyone had success applying to MD schools with these stats? Any other input is welcomed and I'll take brutal honesty. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, 3/4 applicants with your stats receive a MD acceptance. Of course, it is important to apply this month and submit all your secondaries by July. Schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats include:
UNC
ECU
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
EVMS
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Marshall
GW
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Quinnipiac
Albany
Vermont
New York Medical College
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Roseman (new school accepting applications sometime this year)
You need to apply to many schools to maximize your chances for an interview
You are competitive for any DO school so apply to those in your region such as CUSOM, VCOM (all 3 schools), WVSOM, UP-KYCOM and LMU-DCOM.

Make sure you change your personal statement to reflect your new outlook on a career in medicine. Reusing the same PS is a red flag for a lot of adcoms. Also if you have more hours in any activities be sure to add those as well!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much Faha and Chromium Surfer for the feedback...

Faha...when you say stats, are you referring to MCAT and GPA only? I ask because I applied to UNC, ECU, Wake, ECU, VCU, GW, Georgetown (among others) and was given an II to ECU only. My primary is 85% complete and will be submitted this week, so I will have it submitted ~2 months earlier this round, but my concern is that not THAT much has changed since last round, aside from full time job and a few months of hospital volunteering.

I also was wondering if anyone has any thoughts/experiences regarding using the same LORs? Since I've been out of undergrad for ~year and a half now, I haven't worked with any professors recently. Last year I had 4 LORs and have submitted 3 of these for this round. Was going to add one from a doc I shadowed. Thoughts on submitting an LOR from a co-worker/superior from my current position?

It was slightly touched upon above, but apply to significantly more than 10 schools (correct me if you applied to more). That is very few schools for someone who has the equivalent of a 29/30 on the old MCAT, even with pretty good ECs.

I was referring to your GPA and MCAT stats which are good enough for a potential interview at those schools. Actually receiving an II at any one particular school is unpredictable which is why you need to apply to many schools. Hospital volunteering does make a difference an is helpful although your late complete applications was a major factor in your lack of interviews last cycle.

I think you have a great shot if you apply to more schools. It would take a lot more work to do secondaries and such, but you will get way more interviews. Also, apply as early as possible, this is so important. A lot of people submit their primaries in June, try to do the same.

I recommend:

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
WVU
Jefferson
Tulane
Loyola
U Miami
Wake Forest
EVMS
VCU
Netter
Oakland-B
Western MI
Any DO program, starting with CUSOM.
Your state school(s).

NC resident. Reapplicant, cGPA 3.89, sGPA 3.78, MCAT 508. 500+ research hours in 3 labs, 1 journal submitted for publication, 100 shadowing hours, team leader for ALS Walk for 7 years, current hospital volunteer for only ~3 months (ongoing weekly commitment for a year), mentor @ homeless shelter ~50 hrs. Worked at a pediatric clinic during college for 7 mos with 500+ hrs. Last 9 months have been spent working full time (healthcare recruiter, no patient contact.)

I applied last cycle very blindly to top-tier schools and 2 mid-tier schools. Primary submitted late July, verified Aug 31st and secondaries not subbed until Sept/Oct (due to $ and fear of hitting submit.)

Out of 10 schools, was only given an II to one (ECU), the rest flat out rejections. Ended up getting rejected from ECU. I had an exit interview and was told that shadowing and volunteering were areas to improve and the main reason I was given an II was due to my numbers (submitted secondary to ECU on the deadline.)

I know many of you probably think I must have been drugged to have applied to the schools I did, when I did, with the stats and ECs I have, and I now (humbly) share that opinion. However, is applying this round again a total waste of time/money/pride/etc? The only new areas of my app will be the hospital volunteering, the healthcare recruiting position, and potentially a Med scribe position that I'm waiting to hear back on (would be full time, but wouldn't be included on my primary app since I haven't started yet.) I've also changed my list of schools entirely (except for 3) plan on applying to schools much closer to my stats, and will be submitting my apps ASAP instead of in September.

So my questions are: what are my chances of getting into an MD school this round, and has anyone had success applying to MD schools with these stats? Any other input is welcomed and I'll take brutal honesty. Thank you in advance.

Reactions: 1 user
Another question...i submitted primaries to a few schools to which i didn't end up submitting secondaries....does that look bad if i apply to them again this cycle? is this going to hurt my chances? and will i be seen as a reapplicant to these schools?