Yet another "What are my chances?" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gordo014

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Long time lurker, first time poster here.

My curiosity/neuroticism finally got the best of me and I was hoping to get some opinions on my chances. I had an absolutely atrocious first semester of college (1.4 GPA) mainly because of a combination of the culture shock, a couple of deaths in my family, and plain nincompoop-ness on my part. Ended up failing GenChem and getting a D+ in intro bio.

Anyways, I've managed to drag my GPA up to a 3.8 (3.52ish if you factor in the original grades that were replaced when I retook chem and bio). I should hopefully be able to boost it up to at least a 3.55, if not (hopefully) a 3.6 at the end of this year before I apply next summer.

• ~1 year of research experience, but no publications
  • ~400+ and counting hours of volunteer/internship work that included but wasn't limited to dentistry stuff
  • ~150ish and counting hours of shadowing a prominent dentist/Ivy dental school prof, going to be volunteering in a service project that they run
  • ~20 hours shadowing OMFS
  • ~15 hours shadowing an endodontist
  • ~50 hours of assistant training (hoping to add on over winter break), planning on working as an assistant during my gap year
  • involved in 2 clubs on campus, but no leadership roles unfortunately
  • Glowing LoRs from the dentist/prof, and from two bio professors at my school
I realize DAT scores play a huge part in it (haven't taken them yet), but I'm mainly curious to see if my stats make up for the awful start I had.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yet another "What are my chances" thread without DAT scores.

Anyways, I've managed to drag my GPA up to a 3.8 (3.52ish if you factor in the original grades that were replaced when I retook chem and bio).

Just as a heads up, your GPA that gets calculated when you apply to dental school will factor in the original grades, there's no grade replacement for application purposes. That said, I don't see your GPA being a problem, and the upward trend will be looked at favorably. Prepare well for the DAT and you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just as a heads up, your GPA that gets calculated when you apply to dental school will factor in the original grades, there's no grade replacement for application purposes. That said, I don't see your GPA being a problem, and the upward trend will be looked at favorably. Prepare well for the DAT and you should be fine.
Yeah I remember reading that. If only I could go back in time and punch freshman me. Thanks for the reassurance though! Glad to hear it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Yeah I remember reading that. If only I could go back in time and punch freshman me. Thanks for the reassurance though! Glad to hear it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
keep up your grades. all grades are factored into your gpa unless your school completely replaces them by taking them out of your transcript. if it is of any consolation to you, i did terribly my first couple years in undergrad but got into dental school.
Getting a good DAT score will be key for you as well as a solid app(PS, essays, early application etc). Just advice for you way into the future, during interviews they will ask you about your research, so make sure you know everything about your research and what you did.