Yield protection at in state schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hzreio

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it's common that low-yield OOS schools that reject applicants for being "overqualified" and anticipating them to matriculate to others school regardless, but can these applicants get yield protected at in state public schools as well, given their lower tuition?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd think of it more like resource allocation than yield protection. They want to interview OOS students that are more likely to attend their school and might be swayed by stats alone to think someone wouldn't choose their school over others but I'm not on an adcom so I can't say with 100% certainty

So it's common that low-yield OOS schools that reject applicants for being "overqualified" and anticipating them to matriculate to others school regardless, but can these applicants get yield protected at in state public schools as well, given their lower tuition?

How much lower is the tuition? I think that would be relevant to the equation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Had a friend a couple years before who got interviews and acceptances to various T20s and outright rejected at in-state school literally in like August. If I had to guess, they looked at her app first because it was stellar and realized she was not likely to attend and rejected her. If you want to attend the institution over all others, maybe send an email to interest or something. If you’re just worried about getting an A, I would say don’t worry about it. If you’re that stellar, you’ll get an A somewhere. If you’re not exceptional but meet their qualifications, they’ll probably give you the interview.

Impossible to answer. This is school-specific and also dependent upon your app.

A school like U WV upon seeing that you have lots of service to rural communities in the state and you're from Harper's Ferry would probably try to woo you.

Of course -- as others have said, it's both an exercise in resource allocation and yield protection. Schools just don't want to waste time and precious interview slots on people unlikely to attend.

Lower tuition is not an obvious decision driver for everyone, such as people who are clearly headed for prestigious, research heavy schools, or people who will clearly be receiving need-based or merit-based scholarships elsewhere. As others have said, it is school and applicant specific, so there really is no way to generalize, although, sure, it is more prevalent with respect to high stat applicants applying to lower ranked OOS public schools.

You apply where you want, and whatever happens, happens. You can minimize this phenomenon by not applying to schools you consider "safety" schools that you really cannot see yourself attending, since it is very possible an adcom will also see you that way.

If you have a research heavy application and are in the ball park for T20 schools based on GPA/MCAT, a state school that is geared toward training primary care docs for the rural areas of the state might consider you a poor choice given its mission.

Reactions: 1 users