Yikes...Could I be Rejected From EVERYWHERE??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theone1979

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
this is my first post here, so let me first say hello to everyone.

I will give you a bit of my background and then I would really appreciate some feedback.

Cumm gpa 3.5
Sci gpa 3.7
Mcat 27
Average to slightly above average EC's
4 months of research, not yet published.

So, it seems like my stats are fairly competitive for DO schools, but here is the problem...I didnt take my MCAT until mid august so I didnt get my scores until mid Sept, and consequently my secondaries were not completed until mid to late september.

Now, I have applied to 15 DO schools, and what worries me is so far I have heard from 4 and it has been 3 flat out rejections and 1 waitlist. I have not heard from the remaining 11 schools.

I am wondering if you guys can let me know how likely it is that I may not get in anywhere.
I am nervous that so far I have heard from 4 schools and no one has even invited me or an interview.

I thought with my stats I would get a good number of interviews, but now I am starting to worry that due to my not getting my apps in until mid-late Sept., that I may actually not end up getting accepted ANYWHERE.

So, what do you guys think? For someone with my stats and given when I applied, how would u rate my chances of being accepted somewhere?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It has only been a few weeks since you have submitted your applications. Just give it some time. It wouldn't hurt to call/email and check your status after about 4-6 weeks after your secondary submissions. I know the timelines are a little different for MD and DO, but I would think it is still some what early in the process for DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
How strong are your ECs and LORs? Any potential red flags you can think eg legal problems, institutional actions, PS not having the right tone?

EC's are
50 hours shadowing DO
volunteer at ER
Volunteer at rehab facility
TA for Chem course
Research Assistant for Chem department

No red flags or disciplinary action of any kind

Im assuming I have very positive letters from docs and profs who know me well.

So, with all of that in mind and the stats I provided and taking into consideration how late I applied (mid late sept), would it be very odd/surprising if I didn't get into any of the 15 DO schools to which I applied, or is it entirely likely/possible that all 15 could turn me down?

Honestly, its just been a very long road for me and although I have schools that I would prefer attend, I really would be happy if I got in ANYWHERE..so im really only worried if everyone turns me down.

I would be willing to bet the house that you'll get accepted somewhere.

hi
this is my first post here, so let me first say hello to everyone.

I will give you a bit of my background and then I would really appreciate some feedback.

Cumm gpa 3.5
Sci gpa 3.7
Mcat 27
Average to slightly above average EC's
4 months of research, not yet published.

So, it seems like my stats are fairly competitive for DO schools, but here is the problem...I didnt take my MCAT until mid august so I didnt get my scores until mid Sept, and consequently my secondaries were not completed until mid to late september.

Now, I have applied to 15 DO schools, and what worries me is so far I have heard from 4 and it has been 3 flat out rejections and 1 waitlist. I have not heard from the remaining 11 schools.

I am wondering if you guys can let me know how likely it is that I may not get in anywhere.
I am nervous that so far I have heard from 4 schools and no one has even invited me or an interview.

I thought with my stats I would get a good number of interviews, but now I am starting to worry that due to my not getting my apps in until mid-late Sept., that I may actually not end up getting accepted ANYWHERE.

So, what do you guys think? For someone with my stats and given when I applied, how would u rate my chances of being accepted somewhere?

Thanks.

Honestly I was in the same situation as you were. My Primary was hung up until october, some issue with AACOMAS or whatever. I was released 10/22/2008 and got secondaries the next week. By mid november i was getting interviews. So dont worry just yet.

IamAriDO

EC's are
50 hours shadowing DO
volunteer at ER
Volunteer at rehab facility
TA for Chem course
Research Assistant for Chem department

No red flags or disciplinary action of any kind

Im assuming I have very positive letters from docs and profs who know me well.

So, with all of that in mind and the stats I provided and taking into consideration how late I applied (mid late sept), would it be very odd/surprising if I didn't get into any of the 15 DO schools to which I applied, or is it entirely likely/possible that all 15 could turn me down?
You didn't answer the query about the quality of the PS. Did multiple informed readers give it a pass?

Assuming that's a yes, I would be very surprised if you didn't get multiple acceptances, provided you didn't cram your ECs into the last year. I, too, am willing to bet Chinocochino's house on a positive outcome.

Are these schools that rejected you possibly among the less selective or those that prefer applicants from a given region?

You didn't answer the query about the quality of the PS. Did multiple informed readers give it a pass?

Assuming that's a yes, I would be very surprised if you didn't get multiple acceptances, provided you didn't cram your ECs into the last year. I, too, am willing to bet Chinocochino's house on a positive outcome.

Are these schools that rejected you possibly among the less selective or those that prefer applicants from a given region?

As for the PS, yes several ppl read it and thought it was very strong.

Regarding my EC's being crammed into 1 year....to be honest they kind of are.

I took a very odd route towards med school. I am in my early 30's and for several years in my 20's I was very ill with an infectious disease that actually took several years to diagnose. After being diagnosed (about 18 months ago) I was aggressively treated and recovered very quickly. After this experience I made the decision to pursue medicine (this is obviously what my PS was about).

Anyhow, since it's only been a year and a half since I recovered and made moves to pursue medicine, basically all of my volunteer and EC work has been within those 18 months. I have accrued several hundred hours in a wide variety of clinical roles, but now you have me a bit worried that since it has all been recent activity, that this will be counted against me.

So, now that Ive admitted to this, does this change your opinion?

youll be fine. youve only heard from less than a third of the schools youve applied to. thats still alot of chances of landing an interview at the others. those are solid stats, i know lots of kids that got in with lower stats (non urm) last cycle to various DO schools.

Nope. Taking 1.5 years is fine, and is pretty common among traditional-age applicants. Also, being more mature (theoretically) due to your age, you'd be considered less likely to impulsively jump into a career without sufficient reasoned forethought.

Thanks, good to hear.
One last concern.

In terms of science pre-recs, I've only taken:
BIO I and II with lab
Gen Chem I and II with lab
Physics I and II with lab

I taught myself enough orgo this summer to take the mcat so that I could apply this cycle.

I am now enrolled in orgo I with lab and will take orgo II with lab in the spring.

I know that technically you dont have to have all pre-recs completed at time of application, but do you think that it will hurt me that I have no grades for orgo yet and only have the science courses I mentioned?

Also, I agree that it looks like my stats are competitive for DO schools, but are they still competitive considering that i didnt get my secondaries in until mid-late sept?

I know that technically you dont have to have all pre-recs completed at time of application, but do you think that it will hurt me that I have no grades for orgo yet and only have the science courses I mentioned?

Also, I agree that it looks like my stats are competitive for DO schools, but are they still competitive considering that i didnt get my secondaries in until mid-late sept?
Whether it would hurt you is likely to be school specific and may depend on your MCAT subscores, which you didn't provide. To counter any negative influence, I'd send an update letter or transcript with fall grades to each school demonstrating a good grade in OChem I. To put your fears to rest (or to legitimate them) you might call each school and ask.

Yes, you are still competitive considering the later application.

medical school acceptance letters can take anywhere from 4-8 weeks and even then they may not contact you until the day before classes start.. true story! keep your head up and call the school if you're really worried :rolleyes:

medical school acceptance letters can take anywhere from 4-8 weeks and even then they may not contact you until the day before classes start.. true story! keep your head up and call the school if you're really worried :rolleyes:

when you say that it can take 4-8 weeks, do you mean it takes that long to be contacted for an interview after applying, or it takes that long to be accepted after the inteverview?

I have had my apps in and complete for 3-4 weeks now and have only heard from 3 schools.

osteopathic schools welcome the untraditional student, you can't go back and change your ECs so i would write a letter of intent to a few of your top choices. like everyone is saying give the schools time, alot of school have admission cycles and they can still be looking at students from the summer. Applying late doesn't necessarily have to hurt you many osteopathic schools conduct interviews until early spring. Good luck with everything i hope this helps