yikes! separation anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunflower79

Plays well with knives
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... now that I'm finally off to glorious med school, the males in my life are having a fit. My best guy friend of many years is angry that he's being deserted (though of course he's happy for me), and I'm getting the feeling I have to spend the summer letting him be mad and work through this. My dad hasn't shown signs of anxiety yet, but when I went to college 20 miles away he practically had a panic attack. Plus he is historically an anxious person.

Anyone feelin' me on this? :confused: :confused: :confused:

sunflower79

Members don't see this ad.

Don't flatter yourself. I'm visualizing a ticker-tape to commemorate you leaving town. Get over yourself and stop speculating on your own self-worth. They were fine before you came into their lives, and gosh darn'it, they'll survive the night you leave. I'd bet two 40's and a 1/2 a pack of Kools on it.
Neudge

Um. So I'm not supposed to give a damn about how these ppl I care about are feeling on this topic. Great. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
They'll get over it. Trust me. Especially when they realize the good your future career will do them someday.

Just be happy you're in and stop letting their emotions ruin your celebration!!

Sunflower, I think Paiger Pie was kidding (at least I hope so). I have to agree with lil pook...they'll get over it. Don't know what else to tell you. This is something they probably just have to work out for themselves, not much you can do, but they WILL work it out and when they do then they'll be able to be happy for you.

Originally posted by sunflower79
My best guy friend of many years is angry that he's being deserted (though of course he's happy for me), and I'm getting the feeling I have to spend the summer letting him be mad and work through this.

Ten bucks says your male "friend" has some more-than-friendly feelings buried inside that he hasn't yet built up the courage to inform you of...

Been there once.... :p

Originally posted by JJNY
Ten bucks says your male "friend" has some more-than-friendly feelings buried inside that he hasn't yet built up the courage to inform you of...

Been there once.... :p

Yeah I know... we've been friends and bf/gf and everything in between... I just don't wanna put myself on the line in case a long-distance thing doesn't work out... :(

I don't know about you guys, but after getting in, I feel like I made such a big deal of everything when I was applying. Now that I know that it's a sure thing, the novelty of getting in has already worn off. I was such a nut. Had I known that it's not that big of a deal, I would have saved myself a lot of anxiety and some good sleep. Oh well, i guess it has to be that way. I hope I won't freak about residency applications four years from now. Anyone feeling the same way.

Only the rare few of us will be able to attend med school in or near our home town. I have a girlfriend of 5 years I will likely be moving away from. And though I am not thrilled about it, we have expected this for some time now. Yeah, it is sad, but I am following my dream. My mom is another story... she is ready to hunt me down and shoot me should I attend med school out of state. I always say that I wish I hated my family so it would be easy to go far away, but I don't. We (and they) will just have to cope and learn to appreciate the holiday times together even more.