Yo, August MCATers!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lady bug

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
August MCATers, how many hours a day are ya'll studying? I study about 4-5 hrs. almost daily. Just wondering how much the rest of ya'll out there are studying....

Members don't see this ad.

that's the norm for most people studying. however, you are a bit early in the game. starting June, most people will be doing atleast 6-7 a day and more on weekends.
Good luck! Hopefully I won't have to take it again. :rolleyes:

Lady bug, when did you start studying? I think most people start about 6-8 weeks before the test. Tweetie when did you start studying for the april test (and hours/day)? Did you feel prepared, and that you could not look at anymore, or were you rushed at the end? Anyone else feel free to add in...

Just knowing the way I study, I know I couldn't possibly start studying 6 weeks before the exam and do fine. I'm not really a good crammer....and I hate studying in large segments all day. But I know several people who started studying 6-8 before the MCAT and did fine or great....one guy in my histo class comes to mind...the dude studied only in July & early August last year...got a whopping 40 on the MCAT. So it just depends on your learning style. Any others out there...how much time are you putting in?

Members don't see this ad :)
What prep materials are you guys using? What did the MCAT of a 40 guy use?

I'm using Kaplan and Princeton science materials. Also kaplan, princeton, AAMC, and flowers & silvers practice MCATs.

I know that the MCAT is just under 3 months away, but I'm already getting worried about the physical section. I'm making 10-11s on verbal and 9-10s on bio, but only 7-8s on physical. It just seems like no matter how many formulas I know or concepts I understand that it's just a guessing game when answering the pysical questions? Anybody else strugglin' on a section?

Ermonty,
You still have a lot of time to get your physics down pact. You are doing superb on the other sections....I wish I was scoring that high at this point...I'm sure do'll do fine....good luck!

Hey Ermonty-

On my first aamc diag (aamc 3, 10- weeks before the april mcat), I got a 7 on physical. By the end, I was getting 12-13 on physical. I highly recommend the examkrackers physics book, and their verbal book which has a short section on math shortcuts. They always have those problems about if they changed this one parameter, how would this other paramater change? I used to skip them, but after ek, it only seconds to solve those. Also, i felt that ek was really good at explaining physics. I also had Jon Orsay as my physics instructor and he's really good at explaining things. I also used the physics 1001 book, which was good at drilling in those concepts you have trouble with. Sorry for the long post, but I REALLY hada HUGE mental block on physics but got over it with the help of EK.

Now, I haven't gotten my actual score yet of course, but I felt very well prepared for physical on mcat day.

-bonnie