Yo, GP - path residency question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magree

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Great Pumpkin and other path residents:

I will not be able to go through the match this year. It will probably be possible for me to scramble into an IM or FP position in south west or west coast as I have some geographic constrains, but I doubt path residencies there will be scrambling. My question is: if I do a general internship - will it hurt me in getting into a path program year after next? Will the funding be messed up if I've now started in a 3 year residency and then try to start path a 4 year residency. It used to be that people were encouraged to get a clinical year but now with path being "just" four years I'm not sure how a clin year will effect my chances. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

M-

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to do path try to scramble there first. I am sure there will still be openings around. There were positions open last year for scramble and I am sure there will be this year. There will be fewer, but still plenty.

You would still likely have no problem going into path next year, but with the changes I really don't know how it will effect things. The year in primary care though good for your education in general will not count toward any years of a path residency. It may effect the funding for you, I would suggest contacting the program director of a path program you are interested in attending. The way I thought the funding worked is you can only be funded for the years of you first entered residency so that would only mean two years left when you transfered into path. For that matter, I would contact them all anyway and talk to them about your situation and maybe they will think of you when the scramble occurs.

Good luck

Hi GP:

Thanks so much. I was thinking of scrambling into path but I have some geographic constraints that may make it difficult. I'll contact some PDs and see what they say. Would the American Board of Pathologists be of any help? Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

M-

Members don't see this ad :)
The ABP doesn't really have anything to do with your problem, they just set the requirements for residency and administer the exams. They really have little direct interaction with the programs. Each program should also have an Office of Graduate Medical Education that may be able to answer some of the more generalized residency questions. But, again I would really push for a path scramble. Try to meet the chairman, residency director and the chief residents or at least correspond with them via email. There are lots of programs in Cali and in SW US. I have heard nice things about New Mexico and Loma Linda recently.

Good luck

Hi GP:

Thanks so much for the extra info. I'll look into it. There were few places in the west/south west that didn't fill last year but NM was one of them. Only 3 in Cali didn't fill and I haven't heard super things about any. Having the rules / actual practice about funding and resident selection so obscure makes it difficult to know what to do. The only place I've seen funding issues really be a factor is in EM programs. Its just so hard to know how all the different factors come into play when chosing one resident over another. Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers,

M-