Yo! What's YOUR MS-I summer plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prettypea

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah.

Members don't see this ad.

8 weeks of clinical epidemiology research. Unfortunately, we only get 8 weeks off.

Research! Research! Research!

Members don't see this ad :)
All you Gunners jeez !! I plan on working for 6 weeks make a few bucks, while shadowing a doc maybe 3 days a week in the late afternoons. Then im going to europe for 2 weeks to lay out in malta before hitting the grind on august 1st again.

Tentative plan....June: Rome to Monaco to France to Barcelona w/backpacks. July: Return home and head to Wyoming and Montana with a tent, a fly rod, and an adventurous spirit. All with my friends from home.

6 weeks research in Pulmonary Critical Care, with a guaranteed abstract and required poster presentation, and hopes of a future publication... then chillin' for the rest of the summer topped off with a 3 week vacation to India. Can't wait! :D :cool: :)

Need I remind you that this is very likely your LAST SUMMER EVER?!? because don't think the summer after M2 is a "vacation" or the NMBE will quickly remind you otherwise with a nice 8h, 300 question standardized exam.

After M1 I bought my first car, did a 4 week externship (for some cash), got married, cruised the caribbean, bought my first house, and moved.

Have some fun gosh durn it!

So I'm not an MSI yet... but I'm planning on taking that summer to bike across America!

www.bikeandbuild.com

Originally posted by SarahGM
So I'm not an MSI yet... but I'm planning on taking that summer to bike across America!

www.bikeandbuild.com

Hey cool! One of my best friends did that last summer (northern route). We're going to do it again this summer just for fun on a different route. He highly recommends the experience. :)

Originally posted by viking1224
Hey cool! One of my best friends did that last summer (northern route). We're going to do it again this summer just for fun on a different route. He highly recommends the experience. :)

Awesome- good to hear! Have fun!

I have done 4 years of lab research after undergrad. I have a few publications and a masters degree. I am going to med school next year and I was wondering if I still should do more research as a med student. I feel as if I have done enough research and I will definately want to travel after M1. Any thoughts? Does research matter more when you are a med student than doing research before med school? Just wondering...

research doesnt particularly help you match better if you only do it for a summer.

Originally posted by ForceField
6 weeks research in Pulmonary Critical Care, with a guaranteed abstract and required poster presentation, and hopes of a future publication... then chillin' for the rest of the summer topped off with a 3 week vacation to India. Can't wait! :D :cool: :)

ForceField - you got a PM

Members don't see this ad :)
have fun...don't sweat research, but do it if you're school has a requirement. Its you're last summer...for a long long time. I have a week off this summer after I take the boards...so looking back, I wish i screwed around alot more last year.

planning on going to africa for a month to do some kind of service work. still trying to find an organization that matches what I need...

6 weeks working in a free HIV clinic in DC, probably 10 days in Thailand for the World AIDS conference, and a few days in Macedonia in august for the IFMSA general assembly meeting

Originally posted by nutmegs
planning on going to africa for a month to do some kind of service work. still trying to find an organization that matches what I need...

I did Operation Crossroads Africa during my MS1 summer (2001). It was an awesome experience. We did a health service/education project for 7 weeks in rural Uganda.

The deadline to apply may have passed already, but they may be flexible...

Originally posted by dingiswayo
I did Operation Crossroads Africa during my MS1 summer (2001). It was an awesome experience. We did a health service/education project for 7 weeks in rural Uganda.

The deadline to apply may have passed already, but they may be flexible...

Cool stuff. I think we are going with the Cameroon Village Concept Project/Pygmy Health Project doing maternal/child health and educating community members to become educators. The fee for 1 month (not including airfare) is only $850 so I think it will work out great. Thanks for the link!

over christmas i filled out about abajillion applications for summer programs. i have only gotten 1 rejection but now i hope that i don't get in anywhere. even if i do i might not do it. i am tired and need to relax.

Teaching summer school geometry in the morning, and surfing/golfing/spearfishing/hiking/bbqing in the PM. And oh boy, it's gonna be great.

6 weeks of a trauma surgery rotation, then being a bum and relaxing (read: preparing for path) for the next 3 weeks.

:)

Originally posted by Carbon
6 weeks of a trauma surgery rotation, then being a bum and relaxing (read: preparing for path) for the next 3 weeks.

:)

Do you get credit for that, is it more of a "shadowing" thing, or what?

Originally posted by Adcadet
Do you get credit for that, is it more of a "shadowing" thing, or what?

It's credited as preceptorship, not as part of the required 3rd/4th year rotations. I'm still trying to decide if I'll participate in some of the research down there.

Remember that this is your LAST free summer to DO research! If you want to do something like derm, optho, uro, ENT, ortho etc....you best be getting some research........

you will never have another free summer to do this. Good luck trying to get any serious research done while you are slave as a 3rd year and then your fourth year rolls around and you are already applying and it is too later.

i would definately do something this summer.

later