txlonghorn2314

5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical, Medical Student (Accepted)
Has anyone made exercises like Bikram Yoga a part of their regular routine during MCAT prep to promote calmness, focus, and other cognitive benefits? I was considering trying this but would like to hear more about what other people thought/experienced from it. I'm also curious to know how well it actually helps not only dealing with the pre med/med school stresses but also possibly aiding as a "thinking" booster (memory, mental clarity, etc). Any input would be appreciated!

IL Pre Med

5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I worked out 4-5 times a week throughout my 3 month studying for the MCAT and I did well. Definitely helped me get my mind off the test, I think it's an important aspect of any study plan.

1TB4RKSB4CK

wussup doge
5+ Year Member
May 6, 2010
Miami
Status
Pre-Medical
I do powerlifting for Deadlift, Squat, and Bench, so I get 3 days of lifting in a week. I've noticed that once I get back from the gym (and going into the gym too), my mental focus carries on to my studies.

Next Step Tutor

MCAT Guru
Sponsor
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2013
Tucson, AZ
nextsteptestprep.com
Status
Pre-Medical
Your brain is an organ in your body like any other. Attend to your body if you want your brain to work well.

Jul 2, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I love hot yoga! Try to do it a couple of times a week. It definitely helps clear your head and you get a great workout. It can be kind of time consuming? (My classes are 1.5 hours which doesn't include getting there early to get a good spot, waiting for showers after, etc.) So sometimes the timing stressed me out more than the yoga helped. Worth a shot to see if you like it! Just be careful, you can hurt yourself because the heat makes you feel more flexible than you really are and you can go overboard.

solitarius

7+ Year Member
May 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I did it AFTER my MCAT, and it really de-stressed me out after three weeks of consistent practice. After doing it, I felt very lethargic and chill.

I was really wound up after the MCAT, and I had to write extensively about it on SDN to get over it. I personally wouldn't do Bikram before the MCAT. The coiled energy and stress helped me focus, study, and stay motivated. But that's just me.

1TB4RKSB4CK

wussup doge
5+ Year Member
May 6, 2010
Miami
Status
Pre-Medical
The way I see it, It takes an hour to work out, and and like 15-30 minutes to take a bath. So It's not a waste of time to work out. I mean granted, I've been working out less, but I compensated by switching to a powerlifting workout in which I only do like 3-5 reps of heavy as fuark weights.