You all seem so qualified!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhDanxiety

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Reading all of your posts have really made me realize what excellent candidates I will be up against. It's a little discouraging as I seem to pale in comparison as far as GRE, GPA, and research goes. Oh well, I am still going to apply and hope that I will peak someone's interest out there. I am just working my ass of trying to boost my GREs to 1200, and scared that isn't going to happen!

Good luck! The time is quickly approaching. Just curious- is anyone out there applying for the dual WS/Clinical program at Michigan? the Dakotas?

Members don't see this ad.

Go for it! You've probably read this already, but the math scoare is by far the easiest to bring up, just practice practice practice. A lot of the people who post here have GRE and GPAs that are far beyond the average of those accepted, some don't (just look at the full disclosure data at your program of interests web site to varify). I wouldn't worry about it too much. You'll get the 1200 if you have the time to invest and it sounds like you know its a priority. How much research experience do you have?

I am applying to North Dakota Clinical, are you applying there? If so, good luck and keep in touch!!!

This board can be a bummer, that is for sure, but don't give up. The only way to guarantee not getting in is by not applying. Just do your best and see what happens. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel the same way looking at everyone on this board. I also feel that everyone is much further along in the process of applying than I am. However I am hoping that the people who were motivated enough to join the network are going to be my stiffest competition. Good Luck Everyone:D :D

Thank you all for the feedback.

Sorg- I have completed a senior empirical project, a master's empirical thesis, and am currently working as a graduate research assistant. I am not sure if that is going to be enough to make me stand out, but think it will be enough to confirm that I am interested in the research aspect of the field as well (important to us clinical applicants).

I pushed the GREs back to take them November 1, to give me a little more prep time. Here's hoping!

Irish- I am also applying to the clinical program at Dakota. Good luck!!! Who knows, maybe we will meet in a few months at the interview.

i'm a first year in a clinical psych phd program and just a year ago i was starting the whole application process.... i remember how freaked out i'd get when i'd come onto these boards because everyone seems to be so on the ball, and everyone seems super qualified (high gre, theses, pubs), and all that is great, but i think it really comes down to match with your potential advisor and it really helps to have letters of recs from people who know the people you're applying to work with. i know that sounds nepotistic, but it makes sense because psychologists in the same area of research tend to know each other and if you have previous research experience, then your letters will come from people in your area of interest. a lot of people i know who are in grad school weren't even on this board, and not everyone has stellar gre scores. on these boards, you see a bunch of people listing off their amazing qualities and wondering why they didn't get more interviews (you'll see a bunch of these in the spring), so if those people aren't getting the interviews, who is? i'm not sure, but hopefully that'll be a little reassuring to those of us who did not think we look as good on paper as the people on these boards.

Caffeinebean, thanks for the reassurance! It's nice to hear from someone who's "been there, done that."

Your name made me think of something I saw in Florida. At a zoo with lots of plant exhibits, they identified the wild coffee plant with it's scientific name: Psychotria Nervosa!