You and Significant Other BOTH Applying to Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Option 1: Let her go, keep constant contact, and randomly surprise her by showing up unexpectedly

Option 2: Give an ultimatum, u drop ur school and follow her, or she drops her school and stays with you. whichever of those two choices is made, the one giving up their school, can find some other smaller school, or a small firm to work at in the area, but remaining together, and more likely happy.

although the ladder may be more irresponsible and produce a lower quality life for the two of you in the long run, your still young and now you have to make the choice of whats really important, spending what time you have with the one you care about, or sacrificing time with them to eventually live a fulfilling life.. if it lasts until then.

The choice is yours
o_O

Members don't see this ad.

As a sophomore, you really shouldn't be worrying about this situation yet - wait until both of you have locked in GPAs/MCAT scores to see whether it's realistic that both of you have a chance to get into similar levels of school.

I'm in a similar situation in a long term, serious relationship...

...except what I'm really realizing is that I probably don't want to date a pre-med/another doctor in the least. Test anxiety is a positive feedback loop.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am pretty sure our desirability (I'm a girl as well) goes down too when we are in medical school.... Guys want nurses :(.

oh well.

I would most likely NEVER date a nurse. I am engaged though so its sort of a moot point haha.

OP its cute that you are all starry eyed...but I wouldnt worry about this now because you guys probably wont last through college. I dated a girl from freshman year until senior year....thought we were getting married...broke up. Similar things happened to most of my friends.

Let me mind f*k you for a minute here.

Scenario:

you get into Harvard. she gets into Random U other side of the country. So do you.

WHAT DO YOU DO

:corny:

See, this is why they should never even apply to schools across the country. Stick to hot spot regions: philly, NYC, chicago, boston, etc.

My boyfriend and I met in undergrad during my sophomore and his junior year of college. He is now starting his 3rd year of med school at Michigan State CHM. I knew that I wanted to take a year off after college, but applied this last cycle and was accepted to MSU CHM and will be starting in August! :) So, yes it definitely can happen!

However, even if you don't get into the same school, it can still work. For the past two years we have been in a long distance relationship from California to Michigan. It was really difficult at times, but if you are willing to put in the effort, it can be done. Plus, the time you and your significant other spend together after being apart for several months is magical. I am very very very happy to finally be moving to his state, but in the long run, I think this long distance time was actually good for our relationship.

So, dont freak out about applying to schools yet because lots can happen and, even if you dont get into the same school, its not the end of the world!

Let me mind f*k you for a minute here.

Scenario:

you get into Harvard. she gets into Random U other side of the country. So do you.

WHAT DO YOU DO

:corny:

This should be asked on interviews

I would most likely NEVER date a nurse. I am engaged though so its sort of a moot point haha.

OP its cute that you are all starry eyed...but I wouldnt worry about this now because you guys probably wont last through college. I dated a girl from freshman year until senior year....thought we were getting married...broke up. Similar things happened to most of my friends.

Just curious, what happened that it ended? :rolleyes:

My girlfriend and I have been together for almost a year. We're rising sophomores at an Ivy. I understand that there have been several threads "kind of" on the same topic, but because we can't give you any stats to work with I'd just like to ask some general questions about the process.

I guess this question is geared towards the more experienced ones who have a pretty good idea of how realistic applying to med school is.

Assuming we are both "competitive" (as quantified only by the fact that our health career office deems us so), in your experience does anyone know how often couples are successful in getting accepted to the same med school or to two schools within an hour of each other? I just want a general sense in that it's either "fairly rare" or "quite possible." I want to know how much we'd have to set ourself for "failure."

I feel like a LDR through med school isn't even a "real" relationship, and that the chances of one working out is astronomical.

I hope the fact that med schools are increasing spots in the coming years helps our situation out.

DISCLAIMER: Please assume we'd still be together by the time we're seniors, as unlikely as you think it may be. ALSO, I'm not so naive to think any of you really have concrete answers (as you know nothing about me); I just want some "experiential knowledge."

Thanks.:love:

You probably won't be together. Also, the chances are low. Also, how can you be considered competitive after being in college for only one year?

You probably won't be together. Also, the chances are low. Also, how can you be considered competitive after being in college for only one year?

Sadly this is true. The chances of him actually needing to worry about this is low. More likely one of the following will happen in the next 2 years:

1. They will break up
2. One or both of them will drop out of being premed because of organic Chem or physics.
3. One or both of them will do so poorly on the MCAT that they will be unable to realistically apply to med school.

Odds are against the OP but you never know.

My girlfriend and I have been together for almost a year. We're rising sophomores at an Ivy. I understand that there have been several threads "kind of" on the same topic, but because we can't give you any stats to work with I'd just like to ask some general questions about the process.

I guess this question is geared towards the more experienced ones who have a pretty good idea of how realistic applying to med school is.

Assuming we are both "competitive" (as quantified only by the fact that our health career office deems us so), in your experience does anyone know how often couples are successful in getting accepted to the same med school or to two schools within an hour of each other? I just want a general sense in that it's either "fairly rare" or "quite possible." I want to know how much we'd have to set ourself for "failure."

I feel like a LDR through med school isn't even a "real" relationship, and that the chances of one working out is astronomical.

I hope the fact that med schools are increasing spots in the coming years helps our situation out.

DISCLAIMER: Please assume we'd still be together by the time we're seniors, as unlikely as you think it may be. ALSO, I'm not so naive to think any of you really have concrete answers (as you know nothing about me); I just want some "experiential knowledge."

Thanks.:love:

Ask me this in one year. I met my gf freshman year, at an Ivy/Ivy-caliber. We were/are "competitive" and applying to the same US schools.