you call this cheating??? seriously?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's easy to talk about the situation without making personal insults. Let's leave them out of the conversation.

Members don't see this ad.

You do have to report it. I have an audited course in communications on my transcript as well and I called and asked. You have to send the transcript of the CC in. That said, they won't care unless you get a C or lower in the real deal. It will look bad if you get below a B after taking the course already, even if you didn't get credit for it.

Not cheating. Nobody will care that you spent a summer trying to prepare for a class you anticipate to be hard. Sounds like a crappy summer but not cheating.

You really don't need to ask your friends or SDN for permission for everything you do.

Members don't see this ad :)

In a certain foreign country, exactly this type of activity is the basis of a HUGE industry. Good times. Yeah, it's an asian country i'm talking about, how did you know?

you could just get an MCAT book and work through the Physical Sciences section... if i had a summer to burn i'd probably spend it this way. and you don't run into the trouble of reporting that you took Orgo twice to medschools.

frankly, i think you are being neurotic; suck it up and take orgo in the fall, do something interesting this summer.

:oops: edit: Humid is right, orgo is in BS not PS... it's been 2.5 years :p

To the OP, you might want to listen to mk8's advice. It would be more useful to learn for the MCAT this way because it only teaches you what you need to know. The Ochem course is not going to prepare you how to tackle the MCAT's orgo. That said, there is no need to take the course twice. Orgo I is not hard anyway. Orgo II maybe.

And no, it is not cheating. But if you take a course is credit and noncredit, it will appear on your transcript as CR/NCR. It is just that it will not be calculated as part of your GPA. Check if this appears on your transcript.. have the registrar's double check this. It does not look good on your AMCAS if it appears you take a course twice despite is grade status.

AMCAS doesn't view this. They just want you to report. The question is how med schools will view this. And the answer is, they won't care, so long as you ultimately end up with an A.

Which is why I'm kicking myself in the *** because my only two B's belong to two classes I took in high school.

Absolutely lame. If I had known I wanted to be a physician in 9th grade instead of my last year in college, I would've approached my entire teenage years differently....... :p

Which is why I'm kicking myself in the *** because my only two B's belong to two classes I took in high school.

Absolutely lame. If I had known I wanted to be a physician in 9th grade instead of my last year in college, I would've approached my entire teenage years differently....... :p
I am sorry for your two Bs...I hope you can still get into medical schooldespite your wild, crazy and foolish high school days;)

..i dunno if any one read earlier what i sed but i asked my chem2 prof for a permission slip saying i fully completed chem2 for teh audit course, i told him why i was doing it, he did not object

A particularly important distinction here is that professor does not = registrar. What your chem prof is ok with may not necessarily reflect the rules of the administration. You should definitely run this plan by the registrar's office. My undergrad had rules similar to those described by humidbeing and so its not unheard of.

Additionally, you will certainly need to submit the transcript. A simple review of the AMCAS instructions yields (in addition to those items already posted):

One official transcript is required from each U.S., U.S. Territorial, or
Canadian post-secondary institution at which you have attempted
course work, regardless of whether credit was earned. This includes
but is not limited to:

• College-level courses attempted while in high school, even if
they did not count toward a degree at any college.
• Colleges at which you originally attempted a course, even if
transfer credit was subsequently accepted by another school.
• Colleges where you registered but did not earn any credit (e.g.,
incompletes, withdrawals, failures, audits, etc.).

• Courses that did not count toward a degree, regardless of
whether credit was earned or transferred.
• Extension programs through which you attempted courses, if a
separate transcript is provided by the Extension Division.
• Correspondence and home study programs.
• Military education.
• American schools overseas.
• U.S., U.S. Territorial, and Canadian medical schools.

yea, i don't think it's cheating either.
you'd have to check with officials at your school to find out for sure if it's deemed ethical, though. the professor giving you the slip or w/e probably won't cut it. besides, if you are sure it isn't cheating, what's the harm in finding out for sure?

side note:
i'm doing a program this summer where i basically take 2 science courses and receive no college credit (though there's a lot more to the program than classes during the week). the program is run by 12 med schools from across the country so i highly doubt auditing a class is frowned upon.. it just shows some ambition.. and there are loads of people who buy textbooks and study before hand or w/e.. no one really cares about that... or how about those students who hire tutors (through academic advising or outside help) during the semester..? loads of people do stuff like this to give themselves the best possible chance of doing well.. and no one calls it cheating.. after all, you still have to perform well on tests, you know? sure, auditing gives you a leg up, but you still have to put in the work.

and to those who think auditing is a waste of a summer (time-wise), you need to remember that the class is, what, 1-2 hours a day plus w/e time the OP wants to spend reading or doing hw? im sure OP can still volunteer/research or work or w.e. and audit a class. loads of people do this (take classes and do stuff like volunteering and working) during regular school semester/quarters and summer sessions.

Yes, having to report every time you ever set foot in an institution of higher learning to AMCAS is no fun. But, alas, it's true.

I applied to medical school when I was 43 years old. Boy, was I surprised to find out that the astronomy course I took in the Fall semester of 1979, before most of you guys were born - counted as much as anything else in my BCPM, and it was a 4 hour course. Thank God I made an "A" since most of us business majors thought it was a complete blow-off waste of time.

It was also lovely in my interview when I was asked how I liked a particular computer science course. I answered, but I wanted to say, "you know, I took that course using punched cards - how much do you remember from courses you took twenty years ago???" (Which would have been tasteless, since he was actually a few years younger than me and had probably never seen an IBM punchcard.)

There's only one exception to the AMCAS rules that I ever heard of, and it applied to a very old fart like me. When it said that you had to list every single withdrawl - I knew I'd withdrawn from a couple of courses in my Freshman and Sophomore years, but I couldn't remember what they were - and, in those halcyon days of the Reagan administration, withdrawls before mid-term didn't go on your transcript. So - called the university. Nope, no such records of withdrawls existed in those days (heck, I'm lucky they found my transcript - it was in some dusty microfilm box from 5 computer systems earlier); any paper copies of withdrawl slips would have been destroyed many years ago. Called AMCAS. AMCAS: Yes, you have to list those withdrawls. Me: I seriously, honestly, truthfully - can't remember what courses they were, or which semester. AMCAS: You need to call the university, then. Me: I did. No such records exist. AMCAS (with a snort of feigned resignation): Well, in that case, I guess you can't list them after all, can you? Me (very politely): No, but I'd like your name, please, to keep in case I'm ever questioned on this.

Lucky for me, though, in those days, there was no such thing as high school students attending college courses early - or I probably would have done that, too!

I'd be careful about this. A lot of schools (my school for example) explicitly label this as an ethics violation and they don't let you take a course if you have previously audited it. If you want to prepare over the summer it might just be better for you to self study.

I am sorry for your two Bs...I hope you can still get into medical schooldespite your wild, crazy and foolish high school days;)

lol, i am sure i will get in somewhere. but, it just erks me a little that things from the past could potentially come back and haunt some people. my point being, if i had gotten close to a 3.0 in college, and i got those B's at the CC in high school, no harm done. but for those who are overly ambitious and their pre-frontal cortex is not completely developed, taking those 10 CC classes could be your death wish despite your stellar college career; and we all know how easily your GPA can drop.

i can see it from the other perspective, though. if a person had the chance and the money to take those 10 CC classes in high school, they technically have an unfair advantage in the application process if AMCAS were to only count grades from a university where the degree was acquired. not only are they somewhat acclimated to the rigor ahead, but depending on their classes, they could have that preview of college level sciences as well (wait... did i just confirm that auditing was an unfair advantage? :p). anyways, counting all grades is definitely a blanket fix for all cases, including the transfer students.

If you did not like gen chem, you will probably like orgo. I'm on the quarter system and third quarter gen chem I got a C+. My lowest grade in orgo was an A-. So you'll probably do fine without the audit thing.

Its a waste of time. You are better off getting a job, researching, and/or volunteering. O-Chem is not that bad. I actually preferred it to Gen-Chem. Don't let yourself be intimidated and keep up with the work. Those who have trouble are those who try to memorize mechanisms instead of learn the why.

Since so much of o-chem is understanding 3-D spatial geometry, the greatest correlation of an A in orgo among my friends (responsible students but by no means straight A students)b was the ability to parallel park. Go figure!!

Its a waste of time. You are better off getting a job, researching, and/or volunteering. O-Chem is not that bad. I actually preferred it to Gen-Chem. Don't let yourself be intimidated and keep up with the work. Those who have trouble are those who try to memorize mechanisms instead of learn the why.

I agree, if you can conceptually understand organic chem, it isn't that bad.