You know how people in med schools are all highly motivated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnowTown

SNOW BABY!!!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
well...

:lol:

Members don't see this ad.

We were all highly motivated to take out massive loans :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
motivation

Main Entry:
mo·ti·va·tion Listen to the pronunciation of motivation
Pronunciation:
\ˌmō-tə-ˈvā-shən\
Function:
noun
Date:

1 a: the act or process of motivating b: the condition of being motivated
2: a motivating force, stimulus, or influence : incentive, drive

am I supposed to be motivated?

Wait, you're not motivated? You, the same guy that spent many years pouring all of himself into getting in wanting it so desperately, aren't motivated? I remember reading your posts and rooting for you in my head. I remember thinking, "this guy seems to want it bad enough - I hope this guy gets his shot". Now that you're in (I assume you are), you're telling me you're not motivated? Guess I had you wrong.

Never forget how bad you want this. Never forget how lucky you are.

Wait, you're not motivated? You, the same guy that spent many years pouring all of himself into getting in wanting it so desperately, aren't motivated? I remember reading your posts and rooting for you in my head. I remember thinking, "this guy seems to want it bad enough - I hope this guy gets his shot". Now that you're in (I assume you are), you're telling me you're not motivated? Guess I had you wrong.

Never forget how bad you want this. Never forget how lucky you are.

meh. That's just the anatomy block talking... But I have taken a much more relaxed attitude since starting school.

meh. That's just the anatomy block talking... But I have taken a much more relaxed attitude since starting school.
Don't be too relaxed. Almost a dozen people in my class are repeating first year.

I was motivated, then med school beat it out of me.

I'm still motivated because I don't want to close too many doors before I know what lies behind them.

I'm still motivated because I don't want to close too many doors before I know what lies behind them.
I feel the same way. I'm almost halfway through second year, and P=MD really isn't part of my vocabulary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1 destroyed any motivation I ever had. I know my clinical grades are uber important, but I just can't be motivated to give a damn half the time. Still doing well, but that's just because I'm so damned charming.

Don't be too relaxed. Almost a dozen people in my class are repeating first year.

It's kind of a hard thing to do, though, to stay motivated all the time. You don't just decide to be motivated, otherwise we would all be motivated all the time (we are all probably extremely driven people if we've made it this far). Sometimes I feel very motivated, some other times I just don't. I think it's normal.

Well, med school is boring, and easy.

I hear it gets fun afterwards.

haha that's why I came to my school... and now I helllllla regret it. My school's more of a joke than a real med school-- kind of makes me want to go back to school someday when I'm older... get a PhD I guess.

dont erad too much into it... trust me, I'm working my ass off, just not stressing out as much.:thumbup:

btw. the first post was supposed to be nonchalant... didn't really translate very well.

I'm starting to dislike myself right now for being so unmotivated. Perhaps this is just whining, or inexperience talking, but who really uses most of the things we learn in 1st year. It seems like we memorize a lot of info just to forget it and never use it again, except maybe on the boards (which I read may be revamped anyway, although not in our med school lifetime).

We need to somehow integrate what we are learning in the basic science years with real patients. I'm not sure exactly how this can be done, but there has to be a better way to teach medicine in the 1st two years.

Homeopathy schools do not count. To post here, you need to transfer to a US based school.

My motivation comes in spurts. Sometimes I'm more motivated to watch the whole second season of West Wing (which I partially did today), or sometimes I'm actually motivated to study biochemistry, anatomy, immunology, etc. My upcoming test block in 2 weeks is certainly shifting my motivation back to what it should be. I just can't stay at 100% 24/7, I have to take frequent brakes.

Speaking of motivation...

in the middle of exams, had path II on monday, pharm II earlier today (I already forgot all of the Cephalosporins :confused:), micro II tomorrow and genetics Thursday (heck knows why we have genetics now). I just came back from the gym and I plan on not starting to study for micro until after I nap.

It's not just you. The human mind and body can only take so much abuse.

Homeopathy schools do not count. To post here, you need to transfer to a US based school.

???

This is a strange comment to make about a medical school that is the home of this year's Nobel prize in medicine....

???

This is a strange comment to make about a medical school that is the home of this year's Nobel prize in medicine....

I think I missed something. Are you really going to a homeopathy school? And what's this thing about this year's nobel prize?

I think I missed something. Are you really going to a homeopathy school? And what's this thing about this year's nobel prize?

I think I missed something too. I'm a second-year student at the University of Utah School of Medicine, which is allopathic, LCME-accredited, and obviously located in the U.S. I've never even heard of "homeopathy schools" - do they exist?

This year's winner of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine was Mario Capecchi, a molecular geneticist who has been here at the U since 1973.

I think I missed something too. I'm a second-year student at the University of Utah School of Medicine, which is allopathic, LCME-accredited, and obviously located in the U.S. I've never even heard of "homeopathy schools" - do they exist?

This year's winner of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine was Mario Capecchi, a molecular geneticist who has been here at the U since 1973.

Speaking of Utah... is it snowing in Utah yet? I can't wait til the 4-states-ski-snowboard-road-trip this Christmas break!!!

Speaking of Utah... is it snowing in Utah yet? I can't wait til the 4-states-ski-snowboard-road-trip this Christmas break!!!

Finally got a little today! Let it snow, let it snow....

\

Not true.Try 6.
As of the beginning of the year, it was 8, and you'll be getting one more next year after this individual finishes a year-long sabbatical. I meant to refer to how many people left my class, including those who won't return, which brings the total to 11.

As of the beginning of the year, it was 8, and you'll be getting one more next year after this individual finishes a year-long sabbatical. I meant to refer to how many people left my class, including those who won't return, which brings the total to 11.

Seriously? What the hell happened?

Perhaps it's arrogant of me, but I don't understand how people fail. One might not be motivated, but it doesn't take that much motivation to not fail. Kinda like Office Space. It'll make you work just hard enough to not get fired.

Perhaps it's arrogant of me, but I don't understand how people fail. One might not be motivated, but it doesn't take that much motivation to not fail. Kinda like Office Space. It'll make you work just hard enough to not get fired.
You also study a lot less than most people I've ever talked to, so I can see how you would think it's easy not to fail. The only person who specifically told me what happened got a Low Pass in biochem and phys, and by only a few points. I never got the impression that this student was a slacker at all. I've had a few instances where I worked hard, but it didn't pan out (cough neuro block one cough). Of the people that actually left completely, I don't think any of them had failed out. I know that one of them was doing pretty well, but just didn't like it.

It always seemed to me that, in general, the people who weren't doing well were working just as hard or harder than everyone else. They just didn't "play the game" as well.

In many cases people are dealing with significant personal issues, such as depression, divorce, death in the family, etc....

Med school is definitely less stressing than college/grad school. reason being is that our only job is to study. Prior to then, my experience, in addition to academics, included working multiple jobs to pay for bills, extracurriculars, doing all the necessary crap that was needed to get into medical school. Now that I started, all I have to do is sit down and put a book in front of me.

Med school is definitely less stressing than college/grad school. reason being is that our only job is to study. Prior to then, my experience, in addition to academics, included working multiple jobs to pay for bills, extracurriculars, doing all the necessary crap that was needed to get into medical school. Now that I started, all I have to do is sit down and put a book in front of me.

Let me know if this doesn't happen but your stress free days will run out shortly.

yes! I took a year off, and I thought when I started med school, I would be a year behind my peers. Turns out, a lot of my "peers" are repeating first year!!

I'm pretty sure that will change in third year and studying for STEP I next year.

Dozen!!?!? Can you PM me the school you are attending?
Or post it here which ever. Thanks.
It shouldn't be too hard to figure out which one it is, but it doesn't really matter. If you have to repeat first year, it's probably because you had a serious personal situation arise (death/serious illness of a loved one, personal illness, divorce, etc), or because you took the wrong approach to studying (not enough or too much of the wrong way).