You know it's getting bad.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m1forever

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
when you're devising ways to score 'around a 45' on a major exam. So the third 'STRUCTURES' exam is coming up this week and it will cover about 12-13 note packets on anatomy(lab and written), 2 on histology(no lab), and 1 on embryology. This test is almost all anatomy because our last test was all histo/embryo and I scored about an 80 on that. I'll probably do about the same on the histo/embryo part this week, but that might make up 15% of the written and none of the practical, so overall it will count for very little of the overall grade.

The 12-13 note packets are on the head and neck and there are 3 of them that I'll do ok on the written part for. It's way too late for me to put any kind of game plan together for the practical, but if I study rohan's really good with all 10 tage sheets the night before the exam I might be able to pull a 30 or so. If I do the three note packets in anatomy I know ok, in addition to the blue boxes in moore on all 12 note packets(high yield stuff), in addition to the 3 combined histo/embryo note packets, maybe I can pull a 50-55 on the written. LOL.....why in the world are these classes combined anyways?

Members don't see this ad.

We have embryo and gross combined...we have an exam tomorrow with 15 lecture packets that is 4 embryo (heart, lung, abdominal wall and some other) and 11 gross...all of our questions are pretty much a la Moore style (clinical) so just reading them you get tired...then of course let us not forget the lab practical...we also just had an exam this past Friday, and one tomorrow (gross) and one Thurs immunology can we say holy freaking cow!

yeah, I understand embryo and gross together. But to throw histo into there I don't see. Does your school keep separate grades for embryo and gross or just 1 grade? In other words, can you make a 60 on embryo and an 80 on gross for the semester, make a 75 for the whole course, and not have to remediate the part you made a 60 in?

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school, anatomy class encompasses Gross, Histo, Embryo, and Neuro. One grade.

As long as you pass the exam it does not matter if you missed all embryo and passed just with the gross part...so the grade is posted as pass/marginal pass/fail for both gross anatomy and embryology. I just went to the U of Michigan web page with questions from past exams/quizzes and let me tell you they are so easy compared to our questions! although we do get some questions like that...just some most of ours are clinical...holy cow I turned down my interview at U of M! I could be living la vida loca there now....

efex101 said:
As long as you pass the exam it does not matter if you missed all embryo and passed just with the gross part...so the grade is posted as pass/marginal pass/fail for both gross anatomy and embryology. I just went to the U of Michigan web page with questions from past exams/quizzes and let me tell you they are so easy compared to our questions! although we do get some questions like that...just some most of ours are clinical...holy cow I turned down my interview at U of M! I could be living la vida loca there now....
haha riiiiiiight. that's just the small bit of questions that are written and are part of the overall sequence final we take online. we take a 2nd final for each organ system sequence - the practical - where we have additional anatomy/histology practicals for every organ system sequence, which also encompasses the written clinical questions. lemme tell you - our anatomy 1st year was no la vida loca, contrary to what you may think. i was soooooo glad when that finished up 1st year - i felt like i was given my life back. well, only for a brief moment, as it has been reclaimed by 2nd year in many different ways.

We had our Histology during Molecular Biol/Biochemistry/Genetics/etc. First 11 weeks.

At the end of the afformentioned block, early November, we start Gross Anatomy and Embryology for a fun packed 20 weeks. :thumbup:

At the end of the first year is 14weeks of behavioral science with a butt-load of neuroscience.

Cheers! :thumbup: ;) :oops:

I think what is hardest for me (so far) is that I am working like a crazy person studying all the time, and yet I am still so far from feeling the way I did as a fairly competent ugrad/postbacc. I mean, I am praying for a pass in the next block of five exams next week. It's unreal (surreal?) to work like a nutt and then just think: cr#p, I might not pass. When I worked like this before, I did pretty well. Now I feel like the token dumb kid in the class ... :smuggrin:

At least we have broken down scores so if you do well in the practical and not so good in the lecture, then they can balance out ok. :thumbup:

Paws said:
I think what is hardest for me (so far) is that I am working like a crazy person studying all the time, and yet I am still so far from feeling the way I did as a fairly competent ugrad/postbacc. I mean, I am praying for a pass in the next block of five exams next week. It's unreal (surreal?) to work like a nutt and then just think: cr#p, I might not pass. When I worked like this before, I did pretty well. Now I feel like the token dumb kid in the class ... :smuggrin:

At least we have broken down scores so if you do well in the practical and not so good in the lecture, then they can balance out ok. :thumbup:
:eek: Five exams in one week???

That's just wrong. Some years back the students unanimously complained to the administration about this same problem, and the end result was bi/triweekly tests instead of five tests at the end of a ~14week block. Makes a little more sense now.