You know VET SCHOOL is driving you crazy when....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When you hear the base f/ your next door neighbor's music and think, "Hey! Sinus arrhythmia!"

Members don't see this ad.

ummm when you see cardiac muscle in your coffee and its 7am
you find a bathroom rug and the first thing you think of is that it looks like a rumen
or when you find mold on your cream cheese and you think gee I wonder what kind of bacteria that is, it would be cool to culture...well not mold just some weird pink colonies :D
:luck:

On behalf of all of us hopefuls who AREN'T in vet school yet and are going loopy waiting to hear back and are trying to decide what the heck we'll do if we don't get in (and what the heck we'll do if we DO get in), I just want to say:

You suck.

;)

Members don't see this ad :)
On behalf of all of us hopefuls who AREN'T in vet school yet and are going loopy waiting to hear back and are trying to decide what the heck we'll do if we don't get in (and what the heck we'll do if we DO get in), I just want to say:

You suck.

;)

If you get in, you won't be saying that this time next year. I would give my right arm to go back to the simplicity of undergrad.

If you get in, you won't be saying that this time next year. I would give my right arm to go back to the simplicity of undergrad.

No you wouldn't. ;)

First year sucks. But it does get better! :thumbup:

1) When you see a couple of swirls decorating a piece of paper and they remind you of ectoturbinates.

2) When you can't decide among cat neutering, dog sports medicine seminar, or studying for finals on a Saturday in a couple of weeks.....

I want to thank you guys for posting this in the pre-vet forum. There are so many threads out there to terrify us that this is really nice to read. It shows that yeah, it will be hard but not everyone is about to throw themselves off a bridge because of it. A sense of humor really helps and it's glad to know that vet school won't slowly drain that away from me (along with the rest of my life force).

The sense of humor is what will get you through!
We had a guest lecturer today that asked if we had any exams this week because we were super quiet and no one was raising their hands. The whole class just busted out in nervous laughter - we have 2 exams (some of us had 3) and 2 quizzes this week.

you have no idea what day it is. Days are marked only by whether you had an exam or not (and thus how much time is left to study before the next one) and terms such as "Thursday...Tuesday....Wednesday...Weekend" mean nothing anymore.

My time is no longer expressed in weeks or days or whatever, only in exams.

Example: "Oh, there's a game next Thursday? That's two exams from now, I haven't gotten that far yet."

My time is no longer expressed in weeks or days or whatever, only in exams.

Example: "Oh, there's a game next Thursday? That's two exams from now, I haven't gotten that far yet."

So. freaking. true. Time revolves around exams.

Oooh, I have one.

When you find an oddly shaped carrot in the bag of baby carrots and think "this one looks like an os penis". Thanks, Therio exam this week.

After studying for Histo exam last fall I was driving home and looking at the hills around my place. I automatically thought "Those are microvilli" of the trees(without leaves) that were on top of said hills...

When you start to recognize that you're so tired from trying to catch up on studying for exams that you have lost the better part of your vocabulary. When trying to describe that the morphology of something is why you know what it is it comes out as "Because that's how it looks!"

You realize how futile it is to try and cut back on your caffeine intake when you have two exams and two quizzes in the same week. Instead you start considering a permanent IV.

1) When you see a couple of swirls decorating a piece of paper and they remind you of ectoturbinates.

2) When you can't decide among cat neutering, dog sports medicine seminar, or studying for finals on a Saturday in a couple of weeks.....

I did all 3 two weekends ago! Seminar on Sat., spay day on Sunday! And studying somewhere in between.... exhausting but I felt like I had done a lot of productive things!

Members don't see this ad :)
When? Not second year! Perhaps 3rd when clinics start (for us anyway)

1. When you know, just KNOW that your new GSD has mega-esophagus because he vomited (the fact that you just learned about mega-esophagus in a previous lecture or that he just ate 5 lbs of pork loin from the counter has nothing to do with your fear).

2. When you do a cytology on your 10 week old puppies 'lump' (even though you're pretty sure its just staph), and start going through your notes trying to figure out what kind of horrible cancer also causes degenerated neutrophils...

When? Not second year! Perhaps 3rd when clinics start (for us anyway)

Really? I think this year has been phenomenally better than first year. I finished first year feeling like I didn't know ANYTHING. This semester it really feels like things are starting to come together and I'm actually interested in all my classes.

Really? I think this year has been phenomenally better than first year. I finished first year feeling like I didn't know ANYTHING. This semester it really feels like things are starting to come together and I'm actually interested in all my classes.

Oh, I definitely agree with that... More medicine, less fundamental biology/foundation. I was referring to the stress

Oh, I definitely agree with that... More medicine, less fundamental biology/foundation. I was referring to the stress

I guess I feel less stressed as well... or maybe I've just become accustomed to it :) I don't worry about grades like I used to!

Your pregnant sister calls to ask when your finals are so that she can schedule her inducement around them just in case she has to be induced...

I hope so. I am not enjoying this semester. The feeling of hanging on by my fingernails and always leaving exams feeling like I failed gets weary after a while.

So far so good though, so I'm just gonna keep going until it gets better or I get my diploma, whichever comes first. :D

When your cat instinctively knows the look on your face that says "i'ma palpate you some now," and gets her paws in attack mode.
OMG, that totally occurs in my household. My older dog runs to the crate if I even mildly think about it. There must be some hormonal changes when I switch into vet school mode!

My cat so far doesn't seem to care as much. She seems to be at the age where she can't be bothered to be bothered!

When you're still waiting to know if you're in, and you're freaking about trying to learn physiology and anatomy for class, so if you DO get in, you will actually feel like you know something and not flipping out like so many first years seem to do... :laugh::laugh:

When you feel MUCH better about procrastinating if you're doing it on VIN, even if it's on the humor board.

When you are watching the scene in Sandlot where they put the raw steak on his black eye and all you can think about is Sparganosis.

When you're watching Dr. House and he puts his stethoscope in backwards...

:laugh:

it is hard to watch some of my fav shows now and not point out all the things that are wrong

...When you go away for spring break and think you can get good practice doing physical exams on all the cats at the resort you are staying at ....

When youre at a vet school kickball tournament and on a bathroom break you say "this toilet paper is like epithelial cell layer thin..."

lol. you ideally want it to be the whole classic tubular organ thick!

thick ascending loop of henle thick!

...can you tell i'm studying for renal phys.... I have just become too nerdy for my own good...

When you can't hold scissors like a normal person anymore...

When a friend ask you about the getting a new dog and you immediately run down a list of fifty breeds including what types of skin conditions they get, what ophthalmologic disorders they are likely to acquire and which cancers they are likely to die from...(all using proper vernacular).

My friend: "Ohh, I just wanted to know which ones you thought would be good for kids"

Me: Oh:(, okay?

:laugh:

PS: Derm, Ophtho and Path this semester...if you couldn't guess ;)

When a friend ask you about the getting a new dog and you immediately run down a list of fifty breeds including what types of skin conditions they get, what ophthalmologic disorders they are likely to acquire and which cancers they are likely to die from...(all using proper vernacular).

My friend: "Ohh, I just wanted to know which ones you thought would be good for kids"

Me: Oh:(, okay?

I always feel like such a cynic when people ask me about "good" breeds... there's so many predispositions with all of them [save for a mutt but no one wants those :(]. Plus I have my prejudices from working with so many in clinics where their behavior is completely terrible and completely opposite from what it is at home...

I'm not in vet school yet but this kills me.

When I watch TV or hear other people around me say DI-sect in stead of DIS-sect. Since it is spelled dissect, and comes from the latin "dis" for apart, and "sect" for to cut. A few episodes ago on Grey's Anatomy, Christina said DI-sect and I cringed. Haha

I'm not in vet school yet but this kills me.

When I watch TV or hear other people around me say DI-sect in stead of DIS-sect. Since it is spelled dissect, and comes from the latin "dis" for apart, and "sect" for to cut. A few episodes ago on Grey's Anatomy, Christina said DI-sect and I cringed. Haha

I'm confused.... other than spelling, how are those pronunciations different?

Die-sect vs Dih

Keep in mind that pronunciations change depending on where you are. I live in Oklahoma and I get made fun of for how I talk when visiting my in-laws in Vermont. My husband gets made fun of by my family for how he talks down here. It's just regional differences. I say die-sect and so do most of the people I know.

Keep in mind that pronunciations change depending on where you are. I live in Oklahoma and I get made fun of for how I talk when visiting my in-laws in Vermont. My husband gets made fun of by my family for how he talks down here. It's just regional differences. I say die-sect and so do most of the people I know.

Hmm maybe it's a northern thing then, thanks for pointing it out!

I'm from New York and I say Die-sect, as does everyone I know from the New England areas.

But looking at the latin, it should be dis-sect

This person says it well:

"I was sorry to hear the usually dependable Stephen Fry on the November 24th broadcast on BBC2 pronounce "dissection" as though it meant to cut into two rather than to cut apart. For such a transgression he should surely be stripped of his University Challenge badge -- or at the very least, striped of it." (http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?start=0&t=5090)

The word di would mean two, changing to disect, so since it's dis (apart)-sect, it really should be dis-sect, not die-sect. Hence, the word Bisect

Also after a quick google search: http://books.google.com/books?id=Yt...Q6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=dissect pronounce&f=false

I guess it's also in America's top mispronounced words list...I never knew there was such a thing lol. February and Wednesday are on the list as well.

Last edited:
Eh, you say to-MAY-to, I say to-mah-to

Speaking of pronunciations, how do the professors say apoptosis where y'all are at?

I've always heard it ay-pop-tow-sis in CA and MA. And I'm sure that at least wasn't incorrect 'cause some biotech company sent our lab orange and black balloons for halloween that said "hocus pocus, apoptosis."

Is it just a CO thing to call it ay-pee-tow-sis? At first I didn't even know what the prof was talking about. But then I realized that EVERY SINGLE instructor pronounces it that way. How does one get to this pronunciation from the spelling of the word? I have no idea...

Speaking of pronunciations, how do the professors say apoptosis where y'all are at?

I've always heard it ay-pop-tow-sis in CA and MA. And I'm sure that at least wasn't incorrect 'cause some biotech company sent our lab orange and black balloons for halloween that said "hocus pocus, apoptosis."

Is it just a CO thing to call it ay-pee-tow-sis? At first I didn't even know what the prof was talking about. But then I realized that EVERY SINGLE instructor pronounces it that way. How does one get to this pronunciation from the spelling of the word? I have no idea...

I have heard it pronounced like ay-pop-tow-sis and ah-puh-tow-sis. Never heard it said like ay-pee-tow-sis. I personally say it like ay-pop-tow-sis

HAHA! I guess so... I know it as ay-pop-tow-sis. Even the foreign professors here pronounce it that way (+/- an accent). That's super funny though... it does totally depend on where you are. At Arkansas where I went for undergrad, I had a (VERY country) professor pronounce "protein" as "pro-tee-inn". I have literally never heard anyone pronounce protein that way before or since.

that sounds like way too much effort for such a little word.

Pshh I agree... when I first had him as a teacher I honestly couldn't understand him because his country accent was so thick. It took awhile for me to be able to figure out his hickified pronunciations for everyday words. It was hard to take him seriously sometimes.

A lot of people think "ya'll" is strange to say... I can't seem to say a sentence without it.