You know what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Willh81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It really isn't a big deal if someone asks a commonly asked question. It really isn't. Seriously. It takes...what? 3 minutes...if you choose to respond to it. And what? 30 seconds if you don't? It's a factor of self actualization. Stop getting worked up about the most unimportant things. It honestly doesn't make you look more intelligent. Seriously. It makes you look less adjusted. That's it. Nothing special or romantic...just stupid. Let's all calm down.

Members don't see this ad.

Willh81 said:
It really isn't a big deal if someone asks a commonly asked question. It really isn't. Seriously. It takes...what? 3 minutes...if you choose to respond to it. And what? 30 seconds if you don't? It's a factor of self actualization. Stop getting worked up about the most unimportant things. It honestly doesn't make you look more intelligent. Seriously. It makes you look less adjusted. That's it. Nothing special or romantic...just stupid. Let's all calm down.
Agreed. But I will add that the SEARCH function is really helpful. :D

Willh81 said:

People will start calming down as soon as you stop whining.

Members don't see this ad :)
Willh81 said:

And seriously, how long does it take to hit the search button?

I'd say someone who starts a whole new thread just to rant and rave about this needs to stop getting worked up over things. Just a friendly FYI, you may want to reevaluate how you come accross in this thread before you go off and call other people "stupid" and "less adjusted." Anyhow, thank you for my morning laugh. Less adjusted... :laugh:

Willh81 said:

WTF this thread is about ? Seriously. I haven't seen anyone making a big deal when someone asked a common question. Having said that, I have to admit that I hate people not doing homework at all before asking a "very" common and basic question. Each forum has sticky threads (on top) which include common and important topics to read. At least, just skim through those before asking. For example, in Pre-DO forum, there is "*FAQ* Please read first" sticky. By the way, FAQ = Frequent Asked Question. Notice, the moderator wrote "please read first" and someone keeps jumping in and ask "is salary of DO different than MD?" or "do I have to shadow a DO? How ?" or "is DO a doctor?", etc. Seriously, what the f**k, right ?

Seriously, who is stupid ?

I agree . . . WTF??

I believe what the OP is referring to is that there have been a number of threads lately cutting people down for asking questions that have been asked before here on SDN. And while I agree that the search function can be handy to use for questions people may have, many people like to ask their own question and have people respond to them rather than reading someone elses thread. Makes it seem more personable. :)

Amy B said:
And while I agree that the search function can be handy to use for questions people may have, many people like to ask their own question and have people respond to them rather than reading someone elses thread. Makes it seem more personable. :)

Just because people want to have personal responses doesn't make it the right thing to do. On the internet, we do things by convention because it is considered polite. For instance, by convention, writing in all caps is considered shouting. We don't do it for that reason alone. FAQ's were designed to keep people from wasting everyone else's bandwith with repetitive questions. Going to the FAQ and finding the answers is considered the polite thing to do. Yet, many people just don't seem to care. They don't feel the need to follow convention, rather they expect to ask a question and have someone personall answer it. Everytime that happens, you waste the bandwith of every person on Earth who uses the internet.

I sometimes wonder if people don't have the ability to do a little research on their own first, or if they're just too lazy to try it. I understand that people like personal responses, but you can't always get what you want. Save the personal responses for questions that haven't been asked umpteen million times.