you know you are a pre-med when......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IckeyShuffle

MS1 t-minus 1.5 months..
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
they have one of these in the allopathic forums, so why not start one here.

ill go first

you complain about a point on an exam when you already have an A and are first in the class :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

You find a professor that is a good target for an LOR and go to his/her office hours every week even if you don't have any questions.

You would pass up sex with Jessica Alba for an A in ochem

Members don't see this ad :)
Your motto is 'Second place is the first loser'

you get mad :mad: whenever you see a non-science major in a study room.

when you do the extra credit even though you have a 98 in the class, you know, just in case..

sorry have another one :D

You study in the medical school library even though you're an undergrad

Thought this was fitting...

A college physics professor was explaining a particularly complicated concept to his class when a pre-med student interrupted him.

"Why do we have to learn this stuff?" one young man blurted out.

"To save lives," the professor responded before continuing the lecture.

A few minutes later the student spoke up again. "So how does physics save lives?"

The professor stared at the student for a long time without saying a word.

Finally the professor continued.

"Physics saves lives," he said, "because it keeps the idiots out of medical school."

A college physics professor was explaining a particularly complicated concept to his class when a pre-med student interrupted him.

A few minutes later the student spoke up again. "So how does physics save lives?"

"Physics saves lives," he said, "because it keeps the idiots out of medical school."

:smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:
haha i think the mcat helps with that too

'A' first, ask real questions later.

Members don't see this ad :)
During 1st semester of freshman year you construct a plan to target professors with whom you want to build relationships in hopes of them writing you a recommendation letter in three years when you actually apply.

they have one of these in the allopathic forums, so why not start one here.

ill go first

you complain about a point on an exam when you already have an A and are first in the class :cool:

I would think that this is more of a gunner, not pre-med :rolleyes:

I would think that this is more of a gunner, not pre-med :rolleyes:

i base it more on the principle of being marked against when you are right. i dont think this means you are a gunner. if the professor gives me a justifiable reason for the deduction, i am more than willing to accept. :p

i base it more on the principle of being marked against when you are right. i dont think this means you are a gunner. if the professor gives me a justifiable reason for the deduction, i am more than willing to accept. :p

Point taken :thumbup:

still though, if it's a solid A, it's a solid A...

but if it's a technicality, yeah sure, one more point!

You wear scrubs to class.

Note: I have NEVER done this and I hate it when people do. Is it that hard to change clothes before/after work? No, most of them are screaming for premed attention.

Note: I have NEVER done this and I hate it when people do. Is it that hard to change clothes before/after work? No, most of them are screaming for premed attention.
i wear my scrub pants to class because they're comfy. the premed attention is a secondary benefit hahaha.

and there is nothing wrong with being pissed about an A. i swear every exam i've had this year, i've missed 5 +/- points on stupid mistakes like not reading carefully or forgetting to take the reciprocal. i wouldn't be pissed if i had really not known the answer at all, but when i know it and screw it up, that's just not cool.

You get pissed with nursing major complaing about their non-pre-med science classes, with pre-opt complaining about Opt test, pre-med tech/pre-nuclear med etc complaining about "difficulty" to get into clinical phase because of the need to get "good" GPA and phone interview.

You receive a test back and immediately ask everyone around you how they did just so you can validate that you did better.

You do things [insert favorite EC/volunteering/shadowing/DAB experience here] you would never do, just because it will help you get into medical school.

when all of the sayings on this page apply to you!

The sad thing is that MANY, MANY students will be "pre-med". :rolleyes: I don't really see that as a distinguishing factor.

Now if you are talking honestly going to medical school pre-med, that would be another story.........finally getting an acceptable score on the MCAT, on the third try. :laugh:

Just for the record, I don't think taking the MCAT 3 times is a requirement to be honestly going to medical school.

I hope none of you have to take that route, it is no fun at all!

When you realize that not only are you spending Saturday night studying for the big biochem/o-chem/physics exam next week, all your friends are too.

your ideal number/letter combo is:45T:D

you know you are a premed when you actually get into med school

until then you are still a wannabe

i seriously have a profuse hatred towards people who willing use that term to describe themselves and hence I can't really contribute to the funnay

/rant

When you....

...get the urge after a tough exam to go beg your professor for a few points, then stop yourself 'cause you need a good LOR :)

I've worn scrubs to class on days when I'm cutting it too close to get out of the bay to change without being late (it's either that or change infront of my poor patients).

Thing is I go to a school that has a big nursing program, so everyone assumes that I'm a nursing major. Pre-med is the LAST thing that crosses their minds....

When you're in Ochem and someone behind you asks when the midterm is and someone else gives the wrong room number and time...

really gunnerish behavior, i told the guy the real time and location for the midterm and thought, "if he doesn't even know when the midterm is, he's definetly not gonna affect the curve or my A," and then i realized that was really pre-med of me too :D

When you're intoxicated, and then start explaining to all your friends how alcohol permeates the blood-brain barrier...

when you do the extra credit even though you have a 98 in the class, you know, just in case..

:oops: Guilty as charged. :oops:

When you snort when a freshman announces to the world their plans of being a Pediatric Oncologist..and they haven't even taken their first bio class.

:oops: Guilty as charged. :oops:

When you snort when a freshman announces to the world their plans of being a Pediatric Oncologist..and they haven't even taken their first bio class.

haha! Follow up!

You know you're a pre-med when you're a freshman and you're upset that your pre-med advisor doesn't take you seriously
You know you're a pre-med when you're a senior, have taken o-chem and the MCAT, and realize why you didn't get respect back then.
You know you're an MS1 when you don't respect yourself because you've come to the realization that you are, in fact, an idiot.

When you have a nightmare about ending up being accepted to no medical school.

when everything you do, you try and relate it to med school.......

You know you're a premed...

If you do bench research.

Anyone who claims that they would do lab research even if it was not an "unspoken prereq" for med school is lying like a rug.

You build molecular models at the local Starbucks.

At least I did.

I liked it too.

OK, I have to ask - you made these out of what? Biscotti?

When you're intoxicated, and then start explaining to all your friends how alcohol permeates the blood-brain barrier...

That's all too familiar. I've also been guilty of explaining that alcohol is a diuretic and that's why you pee so much when you drink.

this joke and this joke alone is what pushes me through my horrid physics book...

You know you are pre-med when every conversation you have with your boyfriend/girlfriend deviates to how you can improve your chances to get into medical school.

You know you are pre-med when every conversation you have with your boyfriend/girlfriend deviates to how you can improve your chances to get into medical school.

...That could go sooooo wrong.

..."I know you want to wait until marriage, but it'll help me get into med school. Please?"