You know you're a premed gunner when...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you took the time to read my past posts, you would know I'm not trolling.

This is just sad. Can't we have a good time without gawking at racial stereotypes?

Perhaps not the best source, but here's an excerpt from Urban Dictionary for gunner:

"A gunner will compromise his/her peer relationships and/or reputation among peers in order to obtain recognition and praise from his/her superiors."

Last I checked, helping your friends is "ungunnerly". And if it makes you feel better, I don't help my friends just to pad my resume. It scares me how your logic works. I'm sorry you think I'm a gunner for working full time. I can barely afford tuition and will take a quarter off to work.

I'd like to think my skin is pretty thick. But I'd also like to think SDN can do better than poking fun at certain races.

I really hope a moderator takes this more seriously than you guys.

Just so you don't feel that your race is being made fun of, I've decided to post a picture of the stereotypical Arab.
funny-3.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suppose, considering the stereotypes all other minorities face, that the one's that are slapped onto Asians isn't really that bad. Nonetheless, a little tact would serve this thread well...

Hello all,

I read all of this, I am 32, an attending physician and of Indian origin. that's right, bust out your sterotypes now, grovelers.

I am not going to write any recommendations for anyone I see on this who writes negative things about asians.

I feel the pain of the asian student in the bottom of my heart. If these guys are beating up on you though, they are simply frustrated: that they do not have post 1965 brain drain immigrant parents with higher IQs than their cattle fed, corn fed, blue eyed, sunburned, arby's working, walmart shopping parents.

Good luck, and kick these guys' butts in school. You can do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, just wow.

Somehow I think this thread was a bad idea. lol, although it was funny prior to the stereotypes being pulled out and the use of racial jokes.

Hello all,

I read all of this, I am 32, an attending physician and of Indian origin. that's right, bust out your sterotypes now, grovelers.

I am not going to write any recommendations for anyone I see on this who writes negative things about asians.

I feel the pain of the asian student in the bottom of my heart. If these guys are beating up on you though, they are simply frustrated: that they do not have post 1965 brain drain immigrant parents with higher IQs than their cattle fed, corn fed, blue eyed, sunburned, arby's working, walmart shopping parents.

Good luck, and kick these guys' butts in school. You can do it!
I hope you're not serious.

Last edited:
ooh!
17. When you join EMS a letter of recommendation
(damn, 1 page later and we're only at 17)

ooh!
17. When you join EMS a letter of recommendation
(damn, 1 page later and we're only at 17)

18. When you try to not-so-slyly try to find out the GPA/MCAT score of a person you just met but see all the time in class.

There were times were sooooooooo many times when I'd meet a new person from class and 5mins into the conversation get something like: "Yeah...the MCAT can be tough? So how'd you do? Did you get above a 30 and below a 35?" @_@

To people offended, do not respond and fuel the fire. To people offending, please use more tact and stay on topic.

For the sake of Doctoraunty, I hope he or she is not serious and is trying to make a point through irony, otherwise all I can do is shake my head.

19. When you make two copies of problem sets, one filled with complicated work that is subtly wrong that you freely pass out to other students and the one that you actually turn in.

Last edited:
You know what, ChemDude, I'd appreciate it if you kept mom's out of this. It's quite offensive. Mom's do not deserve the stereotypes (MILF/SoccerMom) that they get, nor do Mom's Mom's (granny panties). Let's keep parental relationships out of this discussion.

EDIT: a gunner is....someone who brings up how hard his life is (when it's not that hard) in order to round about-ly get to the topic of grades and how he still manages a 4.0

OR someone who after you spend 30 min telling them about your life's woes because they asked to hear...and at the end says, "so what did you think of that test, huh huh huh"

So, what did you think of that test?

To people offended, do not respond and fuel the fire. To people offending, please use more tact and stay on topic.

For the sake of Doctoraunty, I hope he or she is not serious and is trying to make a point through irony, otherwise all I can do is shake my head.

19. When you make two copies of problem sets, one filled with complicated work that is subtly wrong that you freely pass out to other students and the one that you actually turn in.

See, now that's gunner-worthy.:thumbup:

I LIKE TO USE REALLY BIG FONT TO EMPHASIZE MY POINTS!! AND ALL CAPPS TOO!!! YAY
oh and by the way their is a difference between racism and stereotypes (which actually stem from common circumstances)..
ONE LOVE

This thread should be called crazy obsessive

premeds, but none of these examples actually represent a gunner. How about this;

Brings his/her own supply of HCl to chem lab after pouring ammonia into the class supply before class.

Yeah I thought gunners were not only highly motivated, but also willing to be extremely rude and unethical in their striving.

Hi guys.

I know we might have the intention of being funny, but sweeping generalizations of an entire race/ethnic group isn't funny to me.

So I ask respectfully, please don't bring race into this.

I found the comments about cup size and "innate gunning character" of Asian Americans to be tactless and insensitive at best, utterly stupid and racist at worst.

Hopefully a moderator looks into this.

Thanks guys,
Mipp0

I love making fun of Irish and German people, and I have both in me. If somebody said people of mixed Irish/German descent are drunk nazis, I'd probably laugh. I mean, I guess the positive stereotypes associated with your model minority status trivializes your achievements, but can we really afford to take ourselves and life so seriously? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
22? -- Remember the lab where you had to isolate caffeine from tea? Someone had caffeine pills from Thinkgeek and just added impurities so he ended up with like 80% yield.

That's a gunner.

Reactions: 1 user
22? -- Remember the lab where you had to isolate caffeine from tea? Someone had caffeine pills from Thinkgeek and just added impurities so he ended up with like 80% yield.

That's a gunner.

Gunner, or just plain epic?

I believe I'm entitled to my opinions. If you want to resort to name-calling, that's your prerogative :)

I'm Asian American as well, and I don't like those comments.

I'm a Biochemistry/Biology tutor for my peers on my free time. I'm even sitting in for 2 summer classes while working full time and studying for the MCATs to help out my friends. I've been reading medical/pharmacy/dental personal statements all summer long to help get my friends into their respective graduate schools. I'm no gunner.

We can have a friendly discussion and a good time here without bringing race into this.

My two cents. You'll have to forgive me if I'm not a big fan of racial stereotypes.

-Mipp0

Uptight much?

See, now that's gunner-worthy.:thumbup:
Thanks! haha definitely knew a kid who did this, but one time he submitted the "wrong" version and I secretly chuckled on the inside.

That's a gunner.

Damnit...wish I would've thought of that! genius. :laugh:

23. Get enjoyment out of seeing other gunners tear each other up over the stupidest things.... (hint)

24. When you listen to the Rocky soundtrack before "going the distance" with your Biochem final. :cool:

you chose your major because you knew it was "hard" and would make you look good to med schools

you chose your major because you knew it was "hard" and would make you look good to med schools
Gunners don't do that. They choose the easiest major, and make it look hard. THey're the kind of people who will bench 10 lb dumbells and make it seem like its the hardest thing ever. Whats worse, is that you actually believe that it's the hardest thing. THey're THAT convincing!!

26. Whenever they call you, once or twice a month and suspiciously before an exam, they start off with "hey how are you doing?" and then suddenly veer the conversation into "so, do you take good notes? can I borrow them? Can I see them? would you be able to send them to me? OMG! Thanks so much!"

That's a girl gunner. (Oh Em Gee!! Was I sexist? DID I JUST MAKE A SEXIST REMARK?!"

To LiveUninhibited:

The model minority myth trivializes the lived experiences of Asian Americans and obscures the diversity of Asian Americans in general.

Here's some other "positive" stereotypes associated with the model minority myth: poor leaders, emotionless automatons, uncreative, poor social skills, generally affluent (doesn't understand poverty or the real world, as one poster delightfully mentioned in another discussion), strong nuclear family (not always the case), etc.

Sorry buddy, but the old stereotypes don't apply.

#20: A gunner doesn't have a reflection. It's true. Like those life-sucking vampires...

To LiveUninhibited:

The model minority myth trivializes the lived experiences of Asian Americans and obscures the diversity of Asian Americans in general.

Here's some other "positive" stereotypes associated with the model minority myth: poor leaders, emotionless automatons, uncreative, poor social skills, generally affluent (doesn't understand poverty or the real world, as one poster delightfully mentioned in another discussion), strong nuclear family (not always the case), etc.

Sorry buddy, but the old stereotypes don't apply.

#20: A gunner doesn't have a reflection. It's true. Like those life-sucking vampires...

As a vampire, I find this comment offensive... haven't you heard? Some of use are vegetarians.

Hi guys.

I know we might have the intention of being funny, but sweeping generalizations of an entire race/ethnic group isn't funny to me.

So I ask respectfully, please don't bring race into this.

I found the comments about cup size and "innate gunning character" of Asian Americans to be tactless and insensitive at best, utterly stupid and racist at worst.

Hopefully a moderator looks into this.

Thanks guys,
Mipp0

i feel you (would people be saying this if we were discussing blacks/African American stereotypes/racist references?) but at the same time, like another poster already mentioned, i think you should pick your battles. this is an internet forum, and teh interwebz is "srs business." shake your head, laugh, whatever -- and move on.

caveat: if someone says this s--- to you in real life, though, don't take it.

i feel you (would people be saying this if we were discussing blacks/African American stereotypes/racist references?) but at the same time, like another poster already mentioned, i think you should pick your battles. this is an internet forum, and teh interwebz is "srs business." shake your head, laugh, whatever -- and move on.

wait...there's a difference between real life and this? :confused:

I stand by my previous post. If the offendee did not bring this up yet again, then we wouldn't be talking about it... again.

As much as I dislike racial comments, I'm beginning to think that the person being offended is now the one continuously highjacking the thread.

New rule: if you're going to complain, you MUST at least make a gunner contribution.

#27: You know you're a pre-med gunner when you intentionally act subtly obnoxious during tests in order to distract other test takers (chew gum loudly, pen tapping, heavy breathing, offensive body odor, moaning...).

21) A gunner is the guy who shows up for the exam, notices everybody studying, smells the fear and decides to ask questions he or she already knows the answer to just to get everybody to freak out.

#27: You know you're a pre-med gunner when you intentionally act subtly obnoxious during tests in order to distract other test takers (chew gum loudly, pen tapping, heavy breathing, offensive body odor, moaning...).

I hate those people that tap their foot loudly so badly, I really want to be the **** out of them sometimes. And contributing to the main post while continuing the sidetrack is STILL TROLLING:troll:

I would gladly take an Asian stereotype over a black one!

How nice for you.

Lol. I think all stereotypes are generalized and sometimes do more harm than good. But I think this thread is just light-hearted and fun. Asian-Americans enjoy the tag of being "model minority", studious and harmless generally. Old women still clinch their purse when I walk by! Now that is something to write about.......:smuggrin:

To all you Asians that get offended by the smart stereotypes of your race, get over it. As a black man in the South, I have heard them all and it is much worse for us. For instance, black people are genetically predisposed to liking fried chicken and watermelon, and if I walk down the street in a white neighborhood, all the white people lock their doors so that I won't steal their TV's! A long time ago I found the best solution was to laugh and move on. There are too many people out there that are going to put you down and hate you for the color of your skin. Grow some thick skin and prove that good stereotype true. For the record, I do LOVE fried chicken and watermelon but I know just as many white people that like it too! Best of luck to you.

To all you Asians that get offended by the smart stereotypes of your race, get over it. As a black man in the South, I have heard them all and it is much worse for us. For instance, black people are genetically predisposed to liking fried chicken and watermelon, and if I walk down the street in a white neighborhood, all the white people lock their doors so that I won't steal their TV's! A long time ago I found the best solution was to laugh and move on. There are too many people out there that are going to put you down and hate you for the color of your skin. Grow some thick skin and prove that good stereotype true. For the record, I do LOVE fried chicken and watermelon but I know just as many white people that like it too! Best of luck to you.

good advice.

"white people can't dance" this one I'm not disputing lol.

By the way, go Dawgs

10. When the only time you want to see the letter B is if your lookin up a woman's cup size...

This would imply that a pre-med gunner has seen a woman's bra!

And to lighten the mood a little I think a song from Avenue Q are appropriate

"Everyone's a little bit racist
Today.
So, everyone's a little bit racist
Okay!
Ethinic jokes might be uncouth,
But you laugh because
They're based on truth.
Don't take them as
Personal attacks.
Everyone enjoys them -
So relax!
Everyone's a little bit racist
It's true.
But everyone is just about
As racist as you!
If we all could just admit
That we are racist a little bit,
And everyone stopped being
So PC
Maybe we could live in -
Harmony!"

Last edited:
Other students fear you because they think you'd cut them before an exam if you thought it'd help the curve.

(swear to god there was a girl like this in one of my bio labs)

If you took the time to read my past posts, you would know I'm not trolling.

This is just sad. Can't we have a good time without gawking at racial stereotypes?

Perhaps not the best source, but here's an excerpt from Urban Dictionary for gunner:

"A gunner will compromise his/her peer relationships and/or reputation among peers in order to obtain recognition and praise from his/her superiors."

Last I checked, helping your friends is "ungunnerly". And if it makes you feel better, I don't help my friends just to pad my resume. It scares me how your logic works. I'm sorry you think I'm a gunner for working full time. I can barely afford tuition and will take a quarter off to work.

I'd like to think my skin is pretty thick. But I'd also like to think SDN can do better than poking fun at certain races.

I really hope a moderator takes this more seriously than you guys.
you need to chill out. i think this is funny. and the stereotypes have kernels of truths. maybe the non-asian overcompetitive "gunners" are just better at hiding themselves, but a lot of these types happen to be asian, likely due to some cultural influences.

I hope you're not serious.
As you can tell, Seuss, I am about as serious as green eggs and ham. Wait! Is that what Caucasians eat for breakfast? Did you know we call them Caulk-Asians because they are no different than asians, but have a white exterior, and when an asian is berated, they are supposed to develop 'thick skin'. Look, with all the melanin we people of color have, our skin is thick enough, we wrinkle less get less skin cancer....

24. You bring your own NMR tubes to orgo lab from the lab you do research in. You can therefore tell people that your tubes work better (they don't believe you) and that you do independent research down the hall (they don't care).

25. You and a hot date are sitting underneath the stars on a warm summer night. Your date is looking fine as hell and she is giving you the bedroom eyes. As you guys slowly lean in towards one another, about to lock lips in one of the hottest kisses that ever existed, you suddenly jump up, point to the sky, and shout: "holy ****! That star cluster looks like the loop of Henle!!?!"