You know you're a vet student (or pre-vet to be PC) when...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A puppy is never boring! Anyone else think puppy feet smell like Fritos!?

Puppies are so weird - the back of their heads smell like baby-powdered angel feathers, but their breath smells like a dirty diaper filled with burning tires.

I think the puppy check-ups are boring because the parents hold them so I can't cuddle, and the program is always the same "Wookitchoo," weigh, shot, shot, "here's your puppy kit, see you in a month."

Oh, new one -

You call pet owners "parents."

Members don't see this ad.

No way. My sleep is precious. I've trained my dogs that you DO NOT WAKE ME UP. They will sleep in until mid-afternoon with me, if I want to sleep that late. The only downside is when I have to wake up for work at 7am, and they peek out from under the covers at me getting ready, then snuggle back in like "you may be getting up all crazy early, but I'm staying here." Takes all my willpower not to get back in and join them. Can you tell I am NOT a morning person?

Oh, definitely. I get up for class and have to figure out where my chihuahua is hiding under the covers and put her on the floor. Half the time, when I turn my back, she jumps right back in bed and curls up before I have a chance to take her out. I'm always jealous of her.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS! I call my lab mix frito-paws and he reponds (b/c I say it so often to him in that superhyperhighpitchhappyvoice) lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Argh! You puppy people are making me want a dog EVEN MORE than usual (I can't have one, roommate will not see the light)! The first thing I do when I get one, though, is sniff is paws for traces of corn chip aroma!

ok next time im with a friend's dog i need to smell his frito paws!!

this thread is fantastic!

cowgirla, the 2 point comment :laugh::laugh:

and the frito puppy feet conversation! i'm gonna miss sdn when i'm out of the country on vacation next week!!

Puppy Breath! It smells like a skunk!

Is it wrong that I was kind of disappointed that my puppy's feet don't smell like fritos?

I think they smell a little like popcorn actually, and not just puppy feet either. My 14yo yorkie had "popcorn feet"

ok next time im with a friend's dog i need to smell his frito paws!!

No kidding! I've actually never sniffed a dog's paw, so I'm going to try it next time I visit my parents and report back, lol. :laugh:

(Omg, that sounds so stupid, I can't believe I just typed that. You can tell you're a scientist when you want to sniff animal feet to see if you can confirm the findings of others, lol.)

Haha, I'll accept popcorn feet! Popcorn/tortilla chips/Fritos..anyone else have a smell they want to confess? :laugh:

So, lacking a puppy of my own, I sniffed a puppy's feet at the SPCA today. The dog volunteer gave me a bit of an odd look...

I'd definitely go more to the popcorn smell side than the fritos. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
That link is hilarious... I love it that they included pseudomonas! (we always have problems with that bacteria...).
I will also be smelling my dogs' paws tonight... I have a dane and a chi, so I'll report back if there is a difference between big and small dogs :p

And this is why I CANNOT eat Fritos. Don't ruin popcorn for me, too! :laugh:

I would also never sniff my cat's feet. One of the girls was an extremely ill-mannered kitten who made it to about 16 weeks before she figured out how to poop without stepping in it afterwards.

On the other hand, I got to wash off teeny tiny kitten feet today! We've got a litter of 3 that are learning to eat off a plate instead of being tube fed, and they end up COVERED in food. SO. CUTE.

lol, perhaps that is the reason why I haven't eaten fritos for the last 20 years...

When you can spend an entire SDN thread talking about the smell of animal feet!

I'm not sure, but you're right - they do smell more when they're sleeping. Well, Nigel does at least. He's always smelled like Fritos to me. Haha - I snuggle with a warm bag of Fritos....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And, along with the constant checking of nails and teeth - you walk over to your neighbor's house, take one look at their dogs and say - "I'll be right back, let me go grab my nail clippers!"

So after a thorough inspection, I can report back that my big dog's paws smell more like tortilla chips than my little dog's... big surprise, huh? :p
Though it was so funny, they both looked super confused when I held up their paws to smell them....:laugh:

I also have a large breed 8-year old dog whose feet smell like a bag of corn chips. So does my family's dog. Does anyone know why this is?? I've wondered about this for years :)

still haven't been around a friend's dog to smell them!!! my cats feet do not smell like fritos though. My cat smells like powder lol i'm assuming from her litter but it its strange how her litter smells like poo but her fur smells like fresh powder. can't complain about that though! i guess it also has to do with her NEVER covering her poop in the box!! i hear and this kicking in the litter box but she never is able to cover her poop up!!

come to think of it, I actually like the smell of my dogs' ears too-- I suppose you could say I just like the smell of certain bacterial/yeast by-products in general. even the smell of the ocean that people love so much is due to bacteria (http://www.whoi.edu/oceanus/viewArticle.do?id=45946)...

does anyone else on this thread find that they have a generally heightened sense of smell? My family is always making fun of me because I'm so sensitive to certain smells...maybe as "animal people" we're just more aware of these things?

come to think of it, I actually like the smell of my dogs' ears too-- I suppose you could say I just like the smell of certain bacterial/yeast by-products in general. even the smell of the ocean that people love so much is due to bacteria (http://www.whoi.edu/oceanus/viewArticle.do?id=45946)...

does anyone else on this thread find that they have a generally heightened sense of smell? My family is always making fun of me because I'm so sensitive to certain smells...maybe as "animal people" we're just more aware of these things?

ogod i HATE ear smell!!! i would rather do anals than clean nasty ears. ewww i hate that smell lol

and yea, i used to have a great sense of smell!! until i got my cat and started to take zyrtec every day for 2 years...now i can barely smell nething!! :( you dont realize how impt it is until its gone lol now i have a fear that ill smell bad one day and not know it cuz i cant smell myself!

When you don't mind cleaning up horse manure, dog poop, and any other species feces, but the thought of changing a baby's diapers totally grosses you out:barf:

Hahahahahaha...so funny!!! I agree with a lot of these...and

you have more pictures of your animals than you do of your family, friends, spouses..etc :)

now i have a fear that ill smell bad one day and not know it cuz i cant smell myself!

I hate to break it to ya, but you're going to be a vet. If you don't already, get used to the idea of smelling (like animals) 24/7!!! haha:barf:

I feel I have a better sense of smell than most people, too!

and yea, i used to have a great sense of smell!! until i got my cat and started to take zyrtec every day for 2 years...now i can barely smell nething!! :( you dont realize how impt it is until its gone lol now i have a fear that ill smell bad one day and not know it cuz i cant smell myself!

Zyrtec pills or the spray? I've been on the pills for my allergies for about 6 months now, and if that's the result I'd rather be allergic to everything with fur than lose my sense of smell....

Also, you're pre-vet when you walk into a pet store, go over to the cats for adoption, and after playing with them for a bit, find that you just can't help yourself from going to an employee and pointing out that there's a kitten sneezing and another who should have their ears checked because they have a yeasty smell...
I have to say, I always feel like a jerk when I do it, but I just can't leave a kitty who needs some sort of meds without saying something...
Anyone else do this?

you have more pictures of your animals than you do of your family, friends, spouses..etc :)

And/or, you just have way too many pictures of animals around your place in general. On your walls. A calendar. Desktop background... veterinary xray examples of various orthopedic surgeries... Say what? Haha, one of the vets I shadowed had some extra posters demonstrating x rays from before/after surgeries of various bone issues and asked me if I wanted them - so now I have some sweet hip and knee surgery pics on my walls :D

I hadn't really noticed that I surrounded myself in cute fuzzy things until my boyfriend pointed out that I may appear crazy to some people if they don't know my choice of profession.

I hate to break it to ya, but you're going to be a vet. If you don't already, get used to the idea of smelling (like animals) 24/7!!! haha:barf:

And yet, no matter how acute your sense of smell, you are always immune to the fact that you smell of animals at the end of the day...

I usually change out of my scrubs and shower before meeting up with my bf after work, but one time I was running late and when I greeted him with an eau de animal-infused hug he immediately commanded me into the shower. I couldn't believe I smelled that bad...

And/or, you just have way too many pictures of animals around your place in general. On your walls. A calendar. Desktop background... veterinary xray examples of various orthopedic surgeries... Say what? Haha, one of the vets I shadowed had some extra posters demonstrating x rays from before/after surgeries of various bone issues and asked me if I wanted them - so now I have some sweet hip and knee surgery pics on my walls :D

I hadn't really noticed that I surrounded myself in cute fuzzy things until my boyfriend pointed out that I may appear crazy to some people if they don't know my choice of profession.

Haha, my dorm room in college was the same way. I had a friend come over, and he was like, "Wow. I half expected a REAL animal to run up and greet me."

And yet, no matter how acute your sense of smell, you are always immune to the fact that you smell of animals at the end of the day...

I usually change out of my scrubs and shower before meeting up with my bf after work, but one time I was running late and when I greeted him with an eau de animal-infused hug he immediately commanded me into the shower. I couldn't believe I smelled that bad...

Apparently I always smell like my cat and my boyfriend reaaally dislikes it. Mainly he doesn't like when he leans in to kiss me or something and gets a sudden whiff of cat because my hair acts a bit like a scent vacuum moshpit (even walking just past any smoker always sucks because then I smell like smoke until I shower next grr). I can't help it if my cat likes to snuggle on my shoulder/neck when I pick her up. :p I can't smell what he's talking about at all though, so I'm just oblivious. Wait until I'm in a job where I'll get covered by oodles of cats, dogs, ferrets, and whatever else on a daily basis. :laugh:

Apparently I always smell like my cat and my boyfriend reaaally dislikes it. Mainly he doesn't like when he leans in to kiss me or something and gets a sudden whiff of cat because my hair acts a bit like a scent vacuum moshpit (even walking just past any smoker always sucks because then I smell like smoke until I shower next grr). I can't help it if my cat likes to snuggle on my shoulder/neck when I pick her up. :p I can't smell what he's talking about at all though, so I'm just oblivious. Wait until I'm in a job where I'll get covered by oodles of cats, dogs, ferrets, and whatever else on a daily basis. :laugh:

I can't really smell cats, either, but maybe that's just because I've grown up with them, haha. I can smell something if I really shove my nose in their fur and sniff, though :laugh: They smell kind of metallic? Maybe blood? Either way I never thought it was a strong enough smell to really carry, haha.

Cat pee, on the other hand...

My bunny always smells ridiculously good, and like various baked goods. Sometimes cookies, sometimes cinnamon rolls. Unless someone is feeding him these things on the sly, I have no idea why.

Zyrtec pills or the spray? I've been on the pills for my allergies for about 6 months now, and if that's the result I'd rather be allergic to everything with fur than lose my sense of smell....

pills. of course i dont actually know if this is the reason, maybe it's a coincidence? but i think this is the reason. of course, i may be an extreme case. the zyrtec only prevents sneezing "attacks" but i am still sneezing in the morning before my meds kick in and i blow my nose throughout the whole day. But zyrtec seems to be stronger than claritin and allegra so i've stuck with it because it is the only thing that takes the edge off my allergies

My bunny always smells ridiculously good, and like various baked goods. Sometimes cookies, sometimes cinnamon rolls. Unless someone is feeding him these things on the sly, I have no idea why.

Cinna-bun!

In other news, I checked my dog's paws today. They smelled like mud. My dogs are too outdoorsy to get frito feet, I'm afraid.

pills. of course i dont actually know if this is the reason, maybe it's a coincidence? but i think this is the reason. of course, i may be an extreme case. the zyrtec only prevents sneezing "attacks" but i am still sneezing in the morning before my meds kick in and i blow my nose throughout the whole day. But zyrtec seems to be stronger than claritin and allegra so i've stuck with it because it is the only thing that takes the edge off my allergies

When I use Zyrtec for prolonged periods of time, my sense of taste becomes nonexistent. It sucks, but I can't stand to be itchy during allergy season!

When I use Zyrtec for prolonged periods of time, my sense of taste becomes nonexistent. It sucks, but I can't stand to be itchy during allergy season!

that is interesting!! my sense of taste has also declined. i figured this was also from the lack of sense of smell because i remember when i took psych we learned about how you cant really taste without the sense of smell lol you should test your nose out now too! :laugh:

that is interesting!! my sense of taste has also declined. i figured this was also from the lack of sense of smell because i remember when i took psych we learned about how you cant really taste without the sense of smell lol you should test your nose out now too! :laugh:

Good point! I probably can't smell much of anything either. You make sure to only take one within a 24 hour period, right? I read an article online that if you take more than one, people have reported losing their sense of taste/smell. I cheat sometimes, maybe within a two or three hour window because it starts to wear off. Oh well, what's a girl to do?

When you get excited about doing a rectal exam!

Good point! I probably can't smell much of anything either. You make sure to only take one within a 24 hour period, right? I read an article online that if you take more than one, people have reported losing their sense of taste/smell. I cheat sometimes, maybe within a two or three hour window because it starts to wear off. Oh well, what's a girl to do?

yea only 1 a day. sometimes its the opposite for me...ill forget it and ill take it 2-3 hrs late haha im so bad at taking pills on time.

When you walk into a zoo and take a nice deep breath through your nose to remember the good times.

When you can locate the binturong exhibit through scent alone, and pride yourself on it.

No way. My sleep is precious. I've trained my dogs that you DO NOT WAKE ME UP. They will sleep in until mid-afternoon with me, if I want to sleep that late. The only downside is when I have to wake up for work at 7am, and they peek out from under the covers at me getting ready, then snuggle back in like "you may be getting up all crazy early, but I'm staying here." Takes all my willpower not to get back in and join them. Can you tell I am NOT a morning person?

So, in my own defense, this is more of a begrudging responsibility response than an actual NEED to get up. I spent most of last year potty training my dogs and they CAN actually sleep through the night now...But I always get that little niggling in the back of my head that they SHOULD get up soon to go potty around 6:15 am.

Plus, my Cavalier starts to "sigh" around that time in the morning. A semi soft "Hmmmm". Followed by a little louder "Hmmmm". That's what normally wakes me up. He was the hardest to potty train, so I'm a little more sensitive to him being awake. I just get up, let them out to go pee, put them back in their crates and go back to sleep for the next 3 hours or so. I certainly am NOT giving up all my sleep, and I consider a 5 minute interlude a fair trade for not having to clean up pee.

How about if you are on a pristine beach in a fishing village on the coast of Mexico and you are more excited to pet the beach bum doggies than you are about the scenery?

I can't believe I missed a whole thread about smelling dog feet. :hungover:

When you notice the veins on your brother's arm and then prod them for a few minutes and tell him that they'd be perfect to practice venipuncture on.

When you notice your cat has (uncharacteristically) flung poop from the litter box and tracked it across the floor, you roll your eyes and grab a paper towel and disinfectant instead of elbow-length rubber gloves, a face mask, bleach, and an antiemetic.