You know you're in med school when....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most of your money goes to booze, tobacco, and applying to other professions ; )

Members don't see this ad.

When you're getting your yearly gyn. exam at the school clinic and the doctor asks you to get off the table and look at your vaginal swab under the microscope because there is a great view of an epithelial cell....and you do it (hmm maybe I should have kept that story to myself??)

When you realize the "in sickness and in health" line of you wedding vows includes tolerating massive ear canal trauma (from your wife's perspective) as you're learning to use an otoscope.:love:

Members don't see this ad :)
When you're getting your yearly gyn. exam at the school clinic and the doctor asks you to get off the table and look at your vaginal swab under the microscope because there is a great view of an epithelial cell....and you do it (hmm maybe I should have kept that story to myself??)

You and the doctor were excited because you could see an epithelial cell?

That's like being excited at feeling a beating sensation if you put your hand on your chest.

That's like being excited at feeling a beating sensation if you put your hand on your chest.

Oh good point...but maybe feeling a beating muscle that works its ass off to keep us alive does get me excited???

you have had a perfectly normal conversation with a classmate that went something like this:

classmate: Can I look at your foot?

you: Sure, but only if I can look at your lady parts.

classmate: Sure! I have a HUGE labia majora, you should definitely check it out...

you: Great!

you have had a perfectly normal conversation with a classmate that went something like this:

classmate: Can I look at your foot?

you: Sure, but only if I can look at your lady parts.

classmate: Sure! I have a HUGE labia majora, you should definitely check it out...

you: Great!

I sure hope this conversation took place in gross lab.:laugh::laugh:

I sure hope this conversation took place in gross lab.:laugh::laugh:

Hell no, sounds like a good conversation to have, say, at home... (although "huge" does have some pretty bad implications, which I'm guessing is what you were getting at :laugh:)

. . . when you no longer notice the thousands of red underlined phrases that Word's spell checker doesn't understand.

..when you gleefully tell your s/o and relatives about the bacteria that could be contaminating their dinner, and whip out your atlas of infectious diseases in the middle of the restaurant to illustrate your point.

or maybe that's just me.

. . . when you no longer notice the thousands of red underlined phrases that Word's spell checker doesn't understand.

you can spell check the words that are underlined, find what's wrong and make them right... and still have them underlined.

She isn't mentioning that there were viral inclusions in the cell.

..when you gleefully tell your s/o and relatives about the bacteria that could be contaminating their dinner, and whip out your atlas of infectious diseases in the middle of the restaurant to illustrate your point.

or maybe that's just me.

Reminds me of a similar story that I heard a few years ago, with a current med student. Only this sort of thing happened when she was little. She's one of those really smart, nerdy in a good way, kind of people.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love this thread and this is my homage to it! :D

You know you're in med school when you have a designated spot for studyin at the coffee shop/library/barnes &nobles and if someone else takes your spot, it ruins your whole studying routine. :p

Amen! I have another one to add. When you leave really late at night to go to school to study and think nothing of it, while your undergrad friends or other friends are going home at that these odd hours.

And this one doesn't apply to me, but to others I know, when Caffeine becomes another food group on your food pyramid.

Or when you can personally be responsible for adding to the spell check dictionary by going through spell check and say add new word that is not in the microsoft word by default.

Or when you can personally be responsible for adding to the spell check dictionary by going through spell check and say add new word that is not in the microsoft word by default.

Ha, I've been doing that all afternoon.

When crunch time isn't 3 days before an exam but a month before an exam and you debate whether getting food or making food is worth the time or whether time eating and preparing food is better spent studying. LOL

I'm not in med school yet, but one of my friends is like that just for studying the pre-med sciences. We once ordered in Chinese and he refused to order w/ us because looking at the menu would take him away from the books LOL

When you treat yourself to a dinner break at olive garden when studying for your anatomy final, but are so swamped you bring your notes and your color atlast of anatomy with you, which you flip through during dinner... only to notice two little kids staring slack jawed at your table covered with spaghetti and color pictures of prosections ... and instead of covering everything up (notice that this didn't stop the eating) you point at a picture and say
"That's what your arm looks like under the skin" ... then the parents usher them away quickly and you go back to your fettucinne....

Or.... you are with friends at boston market and see that there is a little kidney attached to your half a chicken. Instead of being grossed out, you pluck it off and your friend wonders aloud if you should biopsy it and take it back to the lab to try and image a glomerulus......Then, of course, you just keep eating.....

When you rip on your freinds and tell them to go into a speciality like
Pediatric Gynecology!!!! oooo what a diss!

you come up with witty remarks that non-med students will never understand, like "he's got testicular hyperplasia," or "someone's got too many polyps up the DC"

you come up with witty remarks that non-med students will never understand, like "he's got testicular hyperplasia," or "someone's got too many polyps up the DC"

I don't know the polyps comment they may get with all those commercials about polyps and colon cancer, with the dude who uses his beans and mash potatoes to illustrate the concept. Its kinda funny, the commercial I mean. lol

.......when a new coffee shop opens up and within two days there's a constant stream of about a dozen students studying there at any given time.

.......and then when studying in said coffee shop you see that there's a steady stream of moms bring their little kids in for ice cream and realize that maybe now is neither the time nor place to be reading Female GU in the clinical exam book, or at least cover the images.

When you're up at 1am studying about the brain's...learning and memory mechanisms. Now if only I could retain any of these declarative memories. :rolleyes:

When you're golfing with a buddy and he says, "Man I really duffed that shot!" And you think about how people who are Duffy a and b negative are resistant to malaria (plasmodium vivax).

You've actually maxed out the Custom Dictionary in Word by adding new words so often, but you don't have the hundred bucks to buy the 10,000-word ready-made one.

You've actually maxed out the Custom Dictionary in Word by adding new words so often, but you don't have the hundred bucks to buy the 10,000-word ready-made one.

HAHA...didn't even know there was a limit. And a spin-off of that one --> When you just get sick and tired of adding in every of word and get used to looking at outlines/notes with red underlines on every other word.

HAHA...didn't even know there was a limit. And a spin-off of that one --> When you just get sick and tired of adding in every of word and get used to looking at outlines/notes with red underlines on every other word.

I can't read with those red lines lol

For MS Word...
tools > spelling&grammar > options > uncheck all the boxes

Problem solved. This will also make you realize how absolutely terrible we are becoming at spelling. :)

When someone in class asks if increasing serotonin actually helps with learning and memory during a part of a lecture on the role of serotonin receptors in presynaptic changes during long-term potentiation.

When you realize the "in sickness and in health" line of you wedding vows includes tolerating massive ear canal trauma (from your wife's perspective) as you're learning to use an otoscope.:love:

OWW!! (My clincal skills partner nearly got me on that one, too.... :scared:)

Something like this has probably already been said, but I had a recent experience, so here it goes.

When, the morning before an afternoon test, you vomit out the entirety of last night's dinner and the following thoughts rush through your mind in this order:

-Oh God, I hope I don't miss the test!
-If I miss, how do I have it excused?
-Is it infectious? If so, bacterial, viral, protozoal, or other? Could it be food borne staph or clostridial toxins? Should I throw out that leftover spinach?
-If not, is it some physiological response I should be worried about?
-Hmm, let's examine the expelled material in my bathtub for evidence... (no touching, that would be gross)
-Thank goodness, feeling much better, let's take that Physi test!:thumbup:

When your entertainment now consists of swapping stories with classmates about the most interesting delusions of your ward psych patients.

When your patient informs you that they are being possessed by the devil and you wonder if an exorcism might be helpful to the therapeutic relationship.

When you feel that you should be able to diagnose yourself and refuse to go to a doctor because if you can't figure it out, neither can they.

When you spend a lot of time seriously contemplating that your symptoms are purely a part of medical student syndrome and this further compounds your disinterest in going to a doctor... because it is entirely possible that you have just heard to much about metabolic syndromes, neurologic disorders, and the GI system and now you think you have every illness that they talk about. Currently, I have determined that I have Addison's disease... even though it is really quite unlikely.

You have to convince your fellow medical student roommate that, although we need the beneficial side effects of increased concentration and decreased appetite, taking methamphetamine is a BAD IDEA! :eek:

You have to convince your fellow medical student roommate that, although we need the beneficial side effects of increased concentration and decreased appetite, taking methamphetamine is a BAD IDEA! :eek:

That damn methyl group!

Hitler was a meth addict and he was pretty productive.

when you notice the Scrubbing Bubbles can boasts that it kills Staph aureus, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Escherichia coli, and Enterococcus faecalis...and you proceed to make small talk with the Wal-Mart shelf stocker and cashier about toxic shock syndrome, urinary tract infections, endocarditis, and gelatin sputum...

Someone starts a sentence indicating you're supposed to be familiar with something then begins to list terms that have such an absence of meaning to you that it sounds like word salad.

You know, annulospiral endings, flower spray endings, nuclear chain, nuclear bag fibers?

When you feel that you should be able to diagnose yourself and refuse to go to a doctor because if you can't figure it out, neither can they.

When you spend a lot of time seriously contemplating that your symptoms are purely a part of medical student syndrome and this further compounds your disinterest in going to a doctor... because it is entirely possible that you have just heard to much about metabolic syndromes, neurologic disorders, and the GI system and now you think you have every illness that they talk about. Currently, I have determined that I have Addison's disease... even though it is really quite unlikely.

At last count, I have 2 autoimmune disorders, 2 different tumors, and 1 DSM-IV condition.

Somehow, I'm still alive...

...probably due to a rare heterozygous trait which renders me resistant to death... hmmmm...

At last count, I have 2 autoimmune disorders, 2 different tumors, and 1 DSM-IV condition.

Somehow, I'm still alive...

...probably due to a rare heterozygous trait which renders me resistant to death... hmmmm...

Doctor: Mr. Burns, I'm afraid you are the sickest man in the United States. You have everything.
Burns: You mean I have pneumonia?
Doctor: Yes.
Burns: Juvenile diabetes?
Doctor: Yes.
Burns: Hysterical pregnancy?
Doctor: Uh, a little bit, yes. You also have several diseases that have just been discovered -- in you.
Burns: I see. You sure you haven't just made thousands of mistakes?
Doctor: Uh, no, no, I'm afraid not.
Burns: This sounds like bad news.
Doctor: Well, you'd think so, but all of your diseases are in perfect balance. Uh, if you have a moment, I can explain.
Burns: Well ... [looks at his watch][the Doctor puts a tiny model house door on his desk]
Doctor: Here's the door to your body, see? [bring up some small fuzz balls with goofy faces and limbs from under the desk] And these are oversized novelty germs. [points to a different one up as he names each disease] That's influenza, that's bronchitis, [holds up one] and this cute little cuddle-bug is pancreatic cancer. Here's what happens when they all try to get through the door at once. [tries to cram a bunch through the model door. The "germs" get stuck][Stooge-like] Woo-woo-woo-woo-woo-woo-woo! Move it, chowderhead! [normal voice] We call it, "Three Stooges Syndrome."
Burns: So what you're saying is, I'm indestructible!
Doctor: Oh, no, no, in fact, even slight breeze could --
Burns: Indestructible.

I am sure that this one has already come up, but:

...when during the lecture you spend more time checking the info on Wikipedia than actually listening to the professor...who is probably wrong anyway...

...you become aware that "Let's have sex" is an effective and efficient pickup line for classmates of the opposite sex who are just as stressed out, pressed for time, and sexually frustrated as you.

...you forget that studying all day every day isn't normal.

...weekends become time to either drink your face off study study maniacally with no middle ground.

...you fondle members of the opposite sex for a grade.

...money stops mattering because you're so far in debt that even buying a new car would hardly increase your total noticeably.

...you seriously think to yourself "Damn, I wish I had it easy like that pharmacy student."

...you become aware that "Let's have sex" is an effective and efficient pickup line for classmates of the opposite sex who are just as stressed out, pressed for time, and sexually frustrated as you.

...you forget that studying all day every day isn't normal.

...weekends become time to either drink your face off study study maniacally with no middle ground.

...you fondle members of the opposite sex for a grade.

...money stops mattering because you're so far in debt that even buying a new car would hardly increase your total noticeably.

...you seriously think to yourself "Damn, I wish I had it easy like that pharmacy student."

Yes, that new car comment is so true..!!!:eek:

when you have to pee really bad because you just had a red bull and sobe adrenaline rush in the past hour but you cant go until you finish going over all of the branches of the Trigeminal nerve. DAM U CN 5!

... when you have an exam at 8 a.m in the morning and you are reading "all" the posts of this forum at 4 a.m

You've seen the majority of your classmates shirtless and felt for "thrills" and it wasn't considered inappropriate school behavior

Just thought I would throw this quote up from a micro lecture on male genitalia today.

Prof: "If the human race relied solely on the lubrication produced by the bulbourethral gland for sex, it wouldn't have gotten this far. Leave that stuff to the female."