You know you're in med school when....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
. . . when you keep reading this thread even though it has stretched into a third page.

Members don't see this ad.

You leave anatomy lab, take a shower, and still smell like dead people.

Movie_i_see_dead_people-767478.jpg

I smell dead people!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is useful for the incoming class of '11. Now I know to make a Costco run for highlighters and red bull before school starts.

When you know that the best place to get highlighters is Target or Office Depot during 'back to school' season-and when you go there to purchase, the checker looks at you as if you're a huffer when you stroll up with 87 boxes of highlighters and fourteen cases of ramen noodles.

And when you get excited because someone on SDN posted that they don't like a certain colour of highlighter...and then you actually consider trading them all your pink coloured ones for all their purple ones.

...and then you actually consider trading them all your pink coloured ones for all their purple ones.

DEAL! Pink = possible test question in my system! (Now I just collect all the purples to see how many packs of highlighters I've gone through)

Yea, that's probably another one to add to the list:

Not only do you have your own system for highlighting, but you also think everyone else's system is wrong and useless.

...You find drunk driving absolutely reprehensible, but on the morning of every announced quiz and exam you can be seen intently reading your notes while doing 85 on the freeway.

holy cow, i laughed so hard I cried reading this!

You get out of the shower and realized you only shaved one leg.

when u and your boys decide to take a break and go to a rock concert and start quizzing each other about different neurological disorders while waiting in line, and the people behind you in line ask you, "wut are you guys gonna be like doctors or something?"

When you drink you worry about upregulating specific cytochrome P450s that may increase acetaminophen toxicity.

It's a week before a test, and you feel totally unprepared and think you don't have enough time to catch up.

When you say, "There's only 2 lectures and a 2 hour PBL session today? YES! TIME TO RELAX!"

It's a week before a test, and you feel totally unprepared and think you don't have enough time to catch up.

And then a non-med school friend calls and asks if you want to hang out, and when you say you can't because you have to study, they reply "Wow, getting an early start, aren't you?" And you have no idea what to respond, because that seems like such an illogical comment.

And then a non-med school friend calls and asks if you want to hang out, and when you say you can't because you have to study, they reply "Wow, getting an early start, aren't you?" And you have no idea what to respond, because that seems like such an illogical comment.

lol...I just got a similar comment from a friend during last week's exams.
Him - "I haven't talked to you in forever, let's catch up."
Me - "I can't, I have an exam in 3 days and I'm studying."
Him - "You have THREE WHOLE DAYS...geez. It's not even crunch time."
Me - at a loss for words because how do you really explain to "normal" people that crunch time starts 2 weeks in advance so that they understand you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Me - at a loss for words because how do you really explain to "normal" people that crunch time starts 2 weeks in advance so that they understand you?

Very simple - burst out crying and weepily say, "You just don't understand!!!!!" That'll probably get the message across.

lol...I just got a similar comment from a friend during last week's exams.
Him - "I haven't talked to you in forever, let's catch up."
Me - "I can't, I have an exam in 3 days and I'm studying."
Him - "You have THREE WHOLE DAYS...geez. It's not even crunch time."

you know your in medschool when your husband periodically asks you how many weeks out you are from the next test because he's already figured out that you will lose your mind and not be any fun once you are two weeks out from an exam . . . its like a countdown to insanity and misery so he can plan to be out of the house during that time, lol.

you know your in medschool when your husband periodically asks you how many weeks out you are from the next test because he's already figured out that you will lose your mind and not be any fun once you are two weeks out from an exam . . . its like a countdown to insanity and misery so he can plan to be out of the house during that time, lol.

I can tell how close exams are just by the number of facebook messages I get.

aye! But you do it with more of a purpose!

edit: and less of a budget.

you know you're in medschool when your post test party is an SGA scheduled event, there is a social chair position in the SGA whos responsibility is to organize post test drunkeness, and your class dues pay for a tab at the bar so that if you show up early can allow you to get plastered on a medschool budget . . . .

Discuss the pros and cons of different reading positions.

You know you are in Med school when you have been preparing like crazy for a Pathology test (tomarrow, the day before spring break), there is a Blizzard outside, the university is closed today and tomarrow but you are hoping that they will still give the test so you don't have to think about it for another week! :eek:

Discuss the pros and cons of different reading positions.

You can list off 15 different forms of anemia but you don't remember more than 2 sexual positions.

If you're cramming for 2 weeks for a path test how are you ever going to manage boards?

If you're cramming for 2 weeks for a path test how are you ever going to manage boards?

:confused:
I never said cramming. I said preparing. I just want to take it, ace it, and move on to the next section, and enjoy my spring break.

When you know the mountain dew has more caffine than coke your sperm count be damned, that tea is useless, and a spoonful of coffee is faster than going through the mess of actually making coffee

...when you can say "thank God it's only 100 questions" without being sarcastic

You know, I'm not even close to being in AOA, but after reading this thread I feel I should receive the prestigious "made it through med school without ever using a single highlighter" award. Only two months left...

When you know the mountain dew has more caffine than coke your sperm count be damned, that tea is useless, and a spoonful of coffee is faster than going through the mess of actually making coffee

:confused: Do you just suck on the grounds? Eeww. And I'm a Seattle boy who loves his coffee.

:confused: Do you just suck on the grounds? Eeww. And I'm a Seattle boy who loves his coffee.

I was wondering the same thing. This is new to me. I'm intrigued.

You know, I'm not even close to being in AOA, but after reading this thread I feel I should receive the prestigious "made it through med school without ever using a single highlighter" award. Only two months left...

Do pens count? I don't highlight but do underline with pens. I haven't used a highlighter since my freshman year in college.

I went to college with a girl who did that. She buy a big thing of cheapo coffee (you know, folgers, etc) and eat it with a spoon. :eek:

:eek: Like, actually swallowed it? Isn't that like eating course dirt or sand? I just can't imagine. :barf:

:eek: Like, actually swallowed it? Isn't that like eating course dirt or sand? I just can't imagine. :barf:

I think you just chomp on them. By chewing on them I imagine that they would flatten out, so maybe it's not so bad. And mixed up with your saliva they would probably kind of dissolve. (Is it weird that I could dissect a human body with minimal problems, but the previous description just made me queasy?)

I haven't chewed instant coffee, but I have done that thing where you brew the pot of coffee, put in fresh grounds, and then re-brew the coffee through those grounds, so that you end up with coffee sludge. After a while you don't care what it tastes like, as long as it's caffeinated.

And to combine the 2 topics: I sometimes drink so much coffee that I have trouble highlighting in a straight line. So I have to go back over it again, just to clarify what I meant to highlight. That's probably where some of my highlighter ink goes.

Ah, but do you fanatically underline? That's my one classmate's thing. He hates highlighters, but underlines things in about 8 different colors of pen!

Edit: you know you're in med school when you're so tired at 9:30 PM that you can't concentrate long enough to read the posts above yours. . .

I went to college with a girl who did that. She buy a big thing of cheapo coffee (you know, folgers, etc) and eat it with a spoon. :eek:

I knew a guy who would make "espresso soup": he'd boil a ton of espresso grounds in water, and eat it with a spoon. He also once made coffee with Red Bull instead of water.

I knew a guy who would make "espresso soup": he'd boil a ton of espresso grounds in water, and eat it with a spoon. He also once made coffee with Red Bull instead of water.

Dear God, what am I getting myself into? Does this start already during MS1? Will my old friends still love me?

Dear God, what am I getting myself into? Does this start already during MS1? Will my old friends still love me?

Your old friends will still love you, but they'll probably think that you're weird. Not because of the coffee thing, but because you'll be telling them funny stories from anatomy lab over dinner...and you'll be the only one who actually finds them amusing.

You have diagnosed yourself or others with at least 5 rare diseases (PML, Kaposi's sarcoma, Measles, Rheumatic Heart Disease, etc.)

Heh, reminds me of when I roomed w/ an oncologist at a conference and mentioned that I had persistent hip pain. The first cause she thought of was multiple myeloma. :rolleyes:

when you can eat a sandwich with one hand and dissect a cadaver with the other, and watching surgery make you really really hungry.

And to combine the 2 topics: I sometimes drink so much coffee that I have trouble highlighting in a straight line. So I have to go back over it again, just to clarify what I meant to highlight. That's probably where some of my highlighter ink goes.

Doctor: Do you drink a lot of coffee?
Patient: No, I spill most of it because my hand shakes too much.

Brilliant
I agree. Who is this genius? Maybe we should give him a price: "Most innovative medical student fo the year". It's given at an award where we honor medical students making the life better for the other medical students.

you know you're in med school when:

1. You suggest the perfect treatment for your patient, the entire team turns around and give you the "who are you and why are you talking" look

2. The thought of phyically torturing the OB/GYN nurses puts a huge smile on your face.

3. The only Spanish words you know are dolor and sangre

4. You're scared to ask a question on rounds, because only 1 of 2 things can happen: somone gets mad at you for not knowing, or they will tell you to look it up.

5. You realize that despite your bachelors degree, and the 3 years of medical school training, even the janitor gets more respect than you in the hospital.

I could go on...

You realize that despite your bachelors degree, and the 3 years of medical school training, even the janitor gets more respect than you in the hospital.

That is because janitorial engineering is one of the most prestigious and respectable fields out there. Duh

- You own more than one coffee maker
- You have a coffee maker in your locker w/ all amenities (coffee, creamer, filter & flavored syrup)