You know you're in med school when....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard a story about an MS3 who asked a Spanish-speaking patient "Tiene sangria en su vagina?" I'm hoping that the patient said no.

In addition to the beverage, however, sangría is one of the Spanish words for bleeding, so it isn't so absurd as it probably seems.

Members don't see this ad.

seems like caffeine is used by many people in med schools.. which leads me to wonder,

Does anyone here (in med school) not consume caffeinated drinks, such as Red Bull and Coffee?

i dont know, im just not a coffee lover. I probably drank maybe 4 cups in the past 3 years.

Not to mention that I seem to be curiously resistant to caffeine. One night, during the final exam week, I had an exam the next morning but haven't really started studying due to other exams, so around 9PM, I purchased this big energy drink (3 dollars.. expensive :() and drank it quickly. I still got sleepy when it was midnight.

seems like caffeine is used by many people in med schools.. which leads me to wonder,

Does anyone here (in med school) not consume caffeinated drinks, such as Red Bull and Coffee?

i dont know, im just not a coffee lover. I probably drank maybe 4 cups in the past 3 years.

Not to mention that I seem to be curiously resistant to caffeine. One night, during the final exam week, I had an exam the next morning but haven't really started studying due to other exams, so around 9PM, I purchased this big energy drink (3 dollars.. expensive :() and drank it quickly. I still got sleepy when it was midnight.

That's the crash that goes along with energy drinks. You have to keep drinking them if you're up studying late like that (like I'm supposed to be doing now). :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm not a coffee drinker either but I am also an insomniac. I do drink a cup of tea in the morning. I guess I'm probably at the low end of the caffeine consumption curve.

I drink 2 big cups of really strong tea in the morning, one with breakfast and one that I take to class to stay awake. Then I have a soda at lunch. Generally I don't have caffeine after lunch -- unless it's in the form of chocolate. :D

I'm not a coffee drinker either but I am also an insomniac. I do drink a cup of tea in the morning. I guess I'm probably at the low end of the caffeine consumption curve.

Yeah if I drink caffiene after about 3pm I don't sleep that night, . . its not so much that I'm an insomniac but rather that my natural cycle is to be awake all night and then sleep all day, and caffiene just pushes the equlibrium away from all my "you need to wake up at 6am training" towards the natural tendency. Anywho I have a doubleshot mochachino (homemade, cause I gots skilz) when I get up and if I'm desperate I'll have some tea in the late morning/early afternoon. But I find that too much makes me jittery and less able to focus anyway. Anywho, I agree that preclinical medschool is really doable without much/any caffiene intake. I'm anticipating caffiene use being essential to making it through call however . . . .

I don't and I'm fine with it. I get sleepy when I drink caffeine and taurine in bigger doses.

-Go to www.wikipedia.com more than 20+ per day.

-Your music collection and iPod are loaded with music all about 5 years old, since you've been busy.

-Flashcards actually get you excited!

-Can't wait for summer, for when you will actually have time to read Robbins and BRS.

-Antidepressants, birth control, caffeine, and nicotine are your staples.

-Medical podcasts, enuf said!

-Reheardse muscle innervations of your lover while making out.

-While speaking with people, you tell them to read your blog.

OK.. I finally have a contribution. I just got a speeding ticket - and instead of being pissed about the ticket, my FIRST thought was "When am I ever going to find 4 hours to go to traffic school to get this off my record? Maybe I can just let it stay on my record and pay the increased insurance premiums"

-You've pondered "Why am I doing this to myself?" seven or eight times today
-You've answered "I'm too poor to do anything else" every time
-You held this conversation with yourself out loud in the library and no one even batted an eye because they thought it was their own inner monologue

...you touch your body while muttering, in public, but you're not being creepy - you're studying anatomy.

1. People see you sitting in public spaces staring intently at a large image of a penis on your laptop

2. Man boobs make you think of finding the PMI

3. You find yourself going to less class than you did in college because lectures are on video.

4. You or someone you know owns Operation and it was purchased recently.

5. Being forced to sit through classes on physician sensitivity and cultural understanding makes you think of House.

I don't drink caffeinated beverages (well, I have a soda occasionally, but that will be with lunch or some such and because they are tasty, not because I am tired).

Members don't see this ad :)
When you watch Case Files on A&E (during Christmas break of course) and are excited that you know the Medical Examiner! (Hey, I live in Miami-all the murder case files on A&E are based here!)

And I agree about going out more in med school than in undergrad-maybe it's because after exams, we all feel like we're on vacation. :)

I don't know if this one has been said but...

When you start getting infuritated at the unbelievably demented medical inaccuracies of Grey's Anatomy, think that House isn't a genius but in fact a woefully inefficient logic immune scatterbrained nut job, actually sometimes rather watch Tales from the ER on discovery channel than ER on NBC, and give Scrubs a free pass because of its sheer awesomeness.

I don't know if this one has been said but...

When you start getting infuritated at the unbelievably demented medical inaccuracies of Grey's Anatomy, think that House isn't a genius but in fact a woefully inefficient logic immune scatterbrained nut job, actually sometimes rather watch Tales from the ER on discovery channel than ER on NBC, and give Scrubs a free pass because of its sheer awesomeness.

It's a relief to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that House shouldn't even have been allowed to graduate from med school.

* When you have as many medication bottles as review books/textbooks.
* When your meds are sitting right next to your books.
* When you start thinking "what the f$*k was I thinking when I decided I wanted to go to med school!"
:smuggrin:

-You held this conversation with yourself out loud in the library and no one even batted an eye because they thought it was their own inner monologue
And, we have a winner - awesome!!

Great thought!!! It could also be known as a "sililoquoy":thumbup:

When you understand why this equation is funny

c261547f-bdb2-4a8e-953f-4a8ea3773492.gif
+
paintbrush.jpg

When you have an argument that goes something like this:

Librarian: Library is closed, you have to leave.
Me: What do you mean? It's 12:25 and the library doesn't util 12:30.

* When you have as many medication bottles as review books/textbooks.
* When your meds are sitting right next to your books.
* When you start thinking "what the f$*k was I thinking when I decided I wanted to go to med school!"
:smuggrin:

ditto , ditto , ditto

sad

It is by no means my intention to hijack the thread...but...WHAT? Where???

2 places:

I have hours and hours of lectures on my Ipod for multitasking on the treadmill.

The other location is SDN. They have weekly or monthly podcasts. I don't know where they keep them though.

Around exam time:
-Your classmates ask "How's it going?" and find it completely understandable and socially acceptable when you point your index finger at your temple with thumb aloft in the shape of a firearm and make a clicking noise.
-You've seen multiple classmates greeting each other this way...and find nothing abnormal about it either

-It's 4 days before a stretch of 4 exams in a 5 day period, and you've already passed being stressed out and have found a feeling of peace in your impending doom.
-You liken that feeling to the higher plane of consciousness attained by the Buddha...
-You realize that ultimate spiritual enlightenment doesn't include which Na+ transporter is blocked by which diuretic nor the regulatory schemes of chromatin remodeling,
-You forgo Nirvana to review Renal Phys...

I have hours and hours of lectures on my Ipod for multitasking on the treadmill.

Oh so true.

However this often backfires when I am actually trying to listen to music in shuffle mode and a lecture suddenly pops up after Nelly's "Ride with me" (another 'classic' since i haven't updated my ipod since beginning med school). The worse is when you just continue to listen even though you're no longer in the class, and tell yourself taht it will somehow help you prepare for boards.

You go in for surgery, and on the way to the OR, the anesthesiologist starts pimping you on the mechanisms of actions, pharmacokinetics, etc of the drugs you're about to receive and even one you're not going to get because you're not anxious.

You discuss can discuss cadaver dissection while eating dinner.

you can eat dinner while attending cadaver dissection....

oh come on, who hasn't eatin' while in lab!

I knew a guy who would make "espresso soup": he'd boil a ton of espresso grounds in water, and eat it with a spoon. He also once made coffee with Red Bull instead of water.

no no no. go online- buy caffienated water! (water Joe, buzz water) that makes good coffee.... also kraft easy mac....

You get frustrated with Daylight savings time, because it means one less hour on Sunday morning to study

...when you realize you're paying $100 a day to get up at 4:30am and return home at 7:00pm.

...when you realize you're paying $100 a day to get up at 4:30am and return home at 7:00pm.

130 including weekends and holidays.

You get frustrated with Daylight savings time, because it means one less hour on Sunday morning to study

When you get frustrated by daylight savings but realize that if you just sleep less you won't lose any time at all . . .

you find out that daylight savings time is this weekend on SDN.

lol. yeah I only know because of the panicked emails from the tech people at my school about how microsoft outlook might cease to function because were switching earlier than normal . . .otherwise I'd be in my usual medschool bubble about all this :)

yay...Thievery Corporation = :thumbup: (the band. not you. i don't know you, but i respect your musical taste :))

Thanks! :D

I still have yet to figure out why it was a good idea to move daylight savings time a month earlier. Anyone have a good explanation?

Thanks! :D

I still have yet to figure out why it was a good idea to move daylight savings time a month earlier. Anyone have a good explanation?

Or why is daylight savings time a good idea at all? Just seems to penalize the early birds....

In addition to the beverage, however, sangría is one of the Spanish words for bleeding, so it isn't so absurd as it probably seems.

yes, sangria refers to the beverage but bleeding is sangrando.

yes, sangria refers to the beverage but bleeding is sangrando.

Sangria = bleeding in the sense of "Is there any internal bleeding, nurse?" (i.e. bleeding is a noun)

Sangrando = bleeding in the sense of "Are you bleeding?" (i.e. bleeding is part of a verb)

you judge primary emotions based on specific facial expressions you see on television. "Hey, he just did the 'content' face!"

This has turned out to be a pretty good thread. :thumbup: to the OP.

The baristas at Starbucks know your name and what your typical drink is...