You play admissions officer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SecondChance

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in 1997 from Tulane University with a cumulative undergrad GPA of 2.4. Post-bacc GPA of 3.7 in med prereqs at a local community collage. (I didn't study much in New Orleans.) Practice scores on the MCAT suggest I should expect a 27 - 30. I'm 25, been doing technical work for 2.5 yrs (not health/science related) on large business systems (eCommerce etc.) Is my application laughable?? Can I recover from a 2-freakin-4?!? My GPA is, I'll admit, embarrassing. A HUGE mistake that I will ALWAYS regret. So what can I do?? Forget med school??
What about DO schools, say, U of North Texas (TCOM)? (I'm a TX resident) --Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Before you get any ideas, I know I mispelled college :)

SecondChance, it's fortunate that you're a TX resident since TCOM takes over 90% state residents. Here's TCOM's stat: mean GPA, 3.6; mean total MCAT score, 27; mean age, 26 years; 46% women; 8% nonresidents (mean GPA, 3.64; mean MCAT, 30). You have to decide for yourself whether or not you want to apply to TCOM. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks DOPhDStudent,

Here's some more info: My undergrad major was Cognitive Science (that is, Philosophy, Computer Science, Cognitive Psych combined). I am currently completing pre-med reqs & after several grueling semesters of working 50+ hrs per week & taking Chem 1 & 2, Physics 1 & 2, Biology 1 & 2, & the Organics I've compiled a nice (albeit short) track record of success. (I guess it was to my benefit that I didn't take any of those classes in N.O.)

Anyone have an opinion on my chances?? Suggestions for ways to improve my chances??

--Thanks in advance