You really stink!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Back34

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to get that gross anatomy lab smell off of one's hands? Soap and water don't seem to cut it.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry. I meant to put this on the "everyone" forum.

no, it goes away after a day or so. but returns again once you go back to the lab. if you use nitrile gloves though it will cut down on the smell. latex is horrible for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't use latex. Bring your own nitrile if you have to.

If you use latex you need to double glove, but use Nitrile if you can. My hands only smell if I've been in lab forever (like when you are studying for an exam). When you get out of there, shower immediately, but that sometimes still doesnt help. After 2 showers you don't stink though. Invest in some Febreeze and cologne/perfume for quick/temporary fixes. Also, don't wear your scrubs anywhere outside of lab and don't lay them anywhere.

Oh yeah, if you have a pet, wait to pet them until you've had a shower. I made the mistake of cuddling my kitten after lab one day and she reeked.

nitrile is the way to go. phenol and formaldehyde goes through the latex.

Boy I am NOT unhappy that UCSD doesn't do anatomy 1st year.

Youve got to burn your clothes and use some lye on your hands. Kinda kills surgery as a career option though.. Hmmmmm.......

Double gloving worked for me.

Back when my brother was in high school, he worked at a restauraunt where he had to cut onions all day. His girlfriend told him to try using toothpaste as soap to get the smell off his hands. It worked, so it's worth a try!