Young person looking for a bit of guidance.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sketch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ever since I was really really young, I've always wanted to be in the medical field. I've been cruising around for a long time over here and have read everything from people being unsatisfied and depressed to people who are happy and wouldn't give it up for the world.

The medical school aspect of becoming a doctor is what's really weighing down on me. If I wanted to start a family in my mid 20's or even late 20's it seems that would be almost impossible! What areas of medicine do not require a ton of schooling such as a surgeon? I read somewhere a little while ago that there were doctors (lack of a better title) working in the technology area and things like that. Could anyone point me to something like that?

Thanks very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Sketch said:
Ever since I was really really young, I've always wanted to be in the medical field. I've been cruising around for a long time over here and have read everything from people being unsatisfied and depressed to people who are happy and wouldn't give it up for the world.

The medical school aspect of becoming a doctor is what's really weighing down on me. If I wanted to start a family in my mid 20's or even late 20's it seems that would be almost impossible! What areas of medicine do not require a ton of schooling such as a surgeon? I read somewhere a little while ago that there were doctors (lack of a better title) working in the technology area and things like that. Could anyone point me to something like that?

Thanks very much!

depends on what kind of "doctor" you want to become. If you must be a medical doctor (MD/DO) then your question should be more towards what kind of residency of field of medicine you want to pursue, and the lifestyle issues associated with them (discussed ad nauseum on this forum)

You could become a PhD "doctor" an get into a field like biomedical engineering and do research on developing new medical equipment (a very hot field). You could become a Pharmacist "doctor" and dispense medication.

So my point is there are many kinds of "doctors" out there, all which earn an advanced doctorate degrees, and with it earn the title of doctor.

hope this helps

goose