Young pods, please read before you sign.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JewOnThis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,
I have some time today and decided to write a true story that happened to a younger DPM that I have known for about 10 years or so.

My friend signed with a group which was bought up by a group of investors a few years ago. He worked for a few years and then they decided to let him go since they had too many podiatrists and not enough patients. The decision to let this poor guy go was determined by your very own podiatrist (chief of podiatry or supervisor that these guys hired to oversee their practices ). Later on, he applied for a job, a really good job (I know since he put me down as a reference) and received a an offer which was later withdrawn. The reason the offer was withdrawn was mainly caused by his previous supervisor spouting lies about his work ethics. Mind you, I have worked with this young DPM before, and he is the hardest working podiatrist I’ve met ( not including myself of course). I feel bad, really bad since this happened to a really good person.

So the moral of this story is, do not work with or for an older podiatrist especially if he or she used to be an APMA or acfas official. This is just my word of advice. I know 2 more podiatrists that recently got burned by our very own “seniors” who are supposed to help us.

For your sake, do nursing homes, join Ortho groups, open your own, or anything else besides working with or for these scumbags.

As of today, I will no longer support APMA or acfas .

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The reason the offer was withdrawn was mainly caused by his previous supervisor spouting lies about his work ethics. Mind you, I have worked with this young DPM before, and he is the hardest working podiatrist I’ve met

If he/she hasn’t contacted an attorney, then I don’t believe your story.

Reactions: 1 users
There’s really no point for me to lie. But to answer your question, I believe my friend has contacted an attorney.

Does anyone really call these days to the previous employer, especially in healthcare?

How would he find out that this is the reason the offer was withdrawn? Did the new employer said that? I highly doubt they would specifically state that as a reason for withdrawal of the offer.

Does anyone really call these days to the previous employer, especially in healthcare?

How would he find out that this is the reason the offer was withdrawn? Did the new employer said that? I highly doubt they would specifically state that as a reason for withdrawal of the offer.

Are you a student or a resident?

Yes, people call previous employer. And yes, the “new” employer did tell the candidate the reason the offer was withdrawn.

There’s really no point for me to lie. But to answer your question, I believe my friend has contacted an attorney.

well then congrats to your friend then on the big payday! Again, if what you said is true then he/she is about to make a bunch of money from their defamation case.

well then congrats to your friend then on the big payday! Again, if what you said is true then he/she is about to make a bunch of money from their defamation case.

If someone calls an employer and asks their opinion and the answer is "Dr X was a bad employee for reason A B and C" defamation and grounds for being sued? I really dont know the legal system but isnt that the point of calling and checking a reference?

And there is more to this story than being told.

If someone calls an employer and asks their opinion and the answer is "Dr X was a bad employee for reason A B and C" defamation and grounds for being sued? I really dont know the legal system but isnt that the point of calling and checking a reference?

I am sure some of these older DPMs on this forum have screwed over younger pods. Maybe one of them can chime in.

Reactions: 1 user

that’s why I said I don’t buy it unless there is an attorney who has agreed to take on a defamation suit. You don’t get an offer from a potential employer and then have it rescinded because an old boss simply said you were lazy. For that to happen, the “lie” would need to be substantial. It would take a pretty serious accusation from an old employer to have the new company say, “you know, we met you, liked you, thought you’d be a great fit...but this other guy we don’t know said some bad things about you so we’re gonna go ahead and take back that contract we asked you to sign.”

I’m not an attorney but I’ve discussed defamation issues with one. I have a former boss (podiatrist) who lied on an employment verification form. The lie was simply that I was asked to leave (from an employment standpoint) in the question that asks if the employee was terminated. Really pretty mild. Luckily I had texts and emails that could prove this wasn’t true, and that I was the one who voluntarily quit and I was actually asked to stay. The only reason I didn’t have a case, was because it did not stop me from getting employment...yet. Once there are damages, then the former employer, who lied on the form, can be sued.

The OP claims that a lie from a former employer led to rescinding of a job offer. If that is true, it most certainly rises to the level of defamation.

Reactions: 4 users
I had this personally happen to me as well. When I initially got hospital based MSG job it was in a state where ankle privileges were hard to come by and I was struggling to get them despite my substantial training in residency (50 TAR, 100+ ankle fracture ORIF, scopes, Etc etc etc). I can’t go into specific detail on this as it will give away the state and the people involved who granted privileges. It was clearly a political process. A terrible unfair biased process.

So I fought back. I got the APMA involved. I contacted the current president of the ABFAS at the time, who was one of my residency attendings, and told them about this state specific issue. I emailed all my attendings back at my residency about it to get advice.

Nothing happened. Nobody helped me. This is why podiatry sucks. No one really cares about you. We are a profession of opportunists with no real power.

I reached out to my same age DPM peers in the state as well who really didn’t do anything for me either. Everyone wanted me out of the state because I nabbed/created a hospital based MSG job in their back yard while I was in residency. All that my efforts did was get the word out on this biased process to get ankle privileges. Enough people heard about it.

After 1+ years of being limited on what I can do I decided it was time to leave this state and look for another job. I applied for a DPM job for a well known DPM “supergroup” and impressed enough people with my CV and phone interview that I was invited to their main offices for a face to face interview. Then I got a phone call back from their recruiter stating the face to face interview was rescinded because they ended up talking to some DPMs in the state who said I was bad podiatrist. They said I was a bad surgeon and shouldn’t be hired. I got the specific names of the individuals involved and they are names everyone would recognize.

This is an example of defamation that is very common in our profession. Payback for fighting the process to get ankle privileges in my state. Nobody could know anything about my practice considering I’m the lone DPM in my 100+ physician MSG. They wanted me out. They wanted to hurt my career. They almost succeeded because nobody wanted to hire me...

Fortunately the laws were changed on the state level and I finally was able to utilize my ankle surgical skills. I made the hospital so much money doing solely foot surgery that they resigned me to another contract.

Soon after signing a new contract I won over the orthos in my MSG (after 2 years) and have their backing. I share ankle trauma call with them and get a few ankle ORIFs per month. But most importantly I’m able to do whatever complicated ankle reconstruction I want. And I have. I’m producing at 75-80% of MGMA production now after 2.5 years of being employed. I’m in a great place now. But this is because I had a little luck with the state laws changing. Otherwise podiatry would have done whatever it could to keep me down and ruin my career.

I haven’t attended an ACFAS meeting or local state meeting since then. I’m no longer a member of the APMA. I honestly do not care about podiatry. I just go to work and communicate with real doctors about patient care. The best part of my life is that I don’t have to deal with other podiatrists.

If I ever lost my hospital job I would start my own practice. I would never entertain working for another DPM again.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Then I got a phone call back from their recruiter stating the face to face interview was rescinded because they ended up talking to some DPMs in the state who said I was bad podiatrist. They said I was a bad surgeon and shouldn’t be hired.

So the "supergroup" talked to DPMs in your state that you never worked with them instead of getting reference from the MSG that you worked with? wow

Hello friends,
I have some time today and decided to write a true story that happened to a younger DPM that I have known for about 10 years or so.

My friend signed with a group which was bought up by a group of investors a few years ago. He worked for a few years and then they decided to let him go since they had too many podiatrists and not enough patients. The decision to let this poor guy go was determined by your very own podiatrist (chief of podiatry or supervisor that these guys hired to oversee their practices ). Later on, he applied for a job, a really good job (I know since he put me down as a reference) and received a an offer which was later withdrawn. The reason the offer was withdrawn was mainly caused by his previous supervisor spouting lies about his work ethics. Mind you, I have worked with this young DPM before, and he is the hardest working podiatrist I’ve met ( not including myself of course). I feel bad, really bad since this happened to a really good person.

So the moral of this story is, do not work with or for an older podiatrist especially if he or she used to be an APMA or acfas official. This is just my word of advice. I know 2 more podiatrists that recently got burned by our very own “seniors” who are supposed to help us.

For your sake, do nursing homes, join Ortho groups, open your own, or anything else besides working with or for these scumbags.

As of today, I will no longer support APMA or acfas .
Yes, can you believe it. I still can’t.

I haven’t been on here for 10 years...and it’s all the same discussions. However, I do agree with the post. Do whatever you can to get a real job. Talk to people and convince them to do a pro forma based on your skills.

I find SDN weird. I am super happy with podiatry and as far as I know so are my close friends from school. My coresidents that graduated before and after me got awesome jobs are are crushing it. The podiatrists who practice around me are not hurting. There is no bad blood between us. We're busy as we possibly can be. We refer to eachother all the time.

I also find it weird that most of the regular people who post claim to have great jobs but really have a grudge against this profession. You make great money, practice your chosen field to your full extent, maybe had some roadblocks, but in the end you're doing what you want to do (or if you're airbud you're riding a golden gravy train which I totally respect 1000%)

Is this just a few people who had a bad wrap and take to the internet or are me any my friends/coresidents/local podiatrists a magical circle of badasses? I'm skeptical.

I had one person cry today and two others thank me sincerely for curing their foot pain: A Kalish, a TN fusion, and a haglunds. All three were final visits for post op appointments. Not to get all sappy but those moments make it all worth it.

Pearls:

1) Avoid practicing in the northeast

2) Wound care/diabetic foot care sucks and I hate it from the bottom of my heart. Nothing glorifying about chopping parts off people. Not to generalize, but no one thanks you and they just want a pill to make it all better all while holding a pepsi in their right hand and telling you thier diabetes has been really well controlled. On top of that it pays pennies compared to what I could make in clinic or electice/trauma surgery. I really want to remove it from my practice considering I spend my morning before clinic, sometimes lunch, and commonly evening after clinic constantly trying to beat the never ending river of pus.

3) And yes. Don't work for a 100k a year private practice podiatry job. Open your own before you do that. Also study hard so you dont do a bottom of the barrel VA residency where your whole existance as a resident is trimming some old guys toenails 6hrs a day barely meeting your already extremely low "minimal competancy" surgical numbers then slaving for some other old guy with a DPM behind his name who wants to retire. I rotated at a horrible VA residency and I saw a 3rd year resident struggle immensly with a TMA. Same 3rd year needed bailed out on an Austin. Someone is going to get that residency but dont let it be you.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
DYK, I Am going to try to not say anything negative, but I heavily disagreed with your points.

1) some of the highest producing pods practice in the northeast.
2) wound care and diabetic foot care are what’s keeping podiatry alive
3) also, most pod grads are fighting for 100k/year. The lowest I have seen is 60k/year, and unfortunately that salary is considered the norm in that area.

Once you start reviewing more contracts and start talking to more people, you will understand how ****ty the profession really is.

Once you start reviewing more contracts and start talking to more people, you will understand how ****ty the profession really is.

why not to quit your job? You can always be a PA, it's only 2 years and should be easy for you.

why not to quit your job? You can always be a PA, it's only 2 years and should be easy for you.

That’s sounds like a reasonable alternative after you just spent 7 years getting through school and residency training.

If you can/want to practice full spectrum podiatry (nails/calluses/diabetic foot care/ wounds/ limb salvage/ foot and ankle surgery/ scopes/ TAR/ etc) you can generate of ton of money.

That’s not reflected in private practice podiatry contracts. The owner has his hand in the associates back pocket where their wallet is suppose to be.

It is reflected in hospital based practices where you need to see and treat all types of pathologies. You can get fair RVU credit for everything. Which ends up being big bucks when it comes to your work incentive bonuses on top of a base salary that’s almost 2-3x that of typical private practice podiatry contract salaries

I never said you couldnt make money in the northeast. I should have made what I wanted to say more clear. Everytime I talk to someone (generalizing) who practices from up there they tend to be unhappy with the profession. Its just harder up there. And its 100% true the relationship with ortho is not good in that region.

Wound care can make decent money in office or at a wound healing center.. But it leads to I&Ds and late night cases. Its never ending. I'm doing 5 a week plus or minus right now. Its getting really old. I&Ds/Foot amps do not pay well at all. Especially when we account globals and the time lost rounding and actually doing the case.

And yeah... dont work for another pod. No reason to review contracts. Open your own or join hospital/MSG/ortho before joining someone who is going to exploit you.

Podiatry really is not a bad field.

I never said you couldnt make money in the northeast. I should have made what I wanted to say more clear. Everytime I talk to someone (generalizing) who practices from up there they tend to be unhappy with the profession. Its just harder up there. And its 100% true the relationship with ortho is not good in that region.

Wound care can make decent money in office or at a wound healing center.. But it leads to I&Ds and late night cases. Its never ending. I'm doing 5 a week plus or minus right now. Its getting really old. I&Ds/Foot amps do not pay well at all. Especially when we account globals and the time lost rounding and actually doing the case.

And yeah... dont work for another pod. No reason to review contracts. Open your own or join hospital/MSG/ortho before joining someone who is going to exploit you.

Podiatry really is not a bad field.

I have to admit, all my close friends have great jobs. One is in PP, bought a guy out. Prob makes 500k plus a year. Has a pharmacy and other stuff in it. Another has a mostly non op job except inpatient making 300k with lots of vacay. Another is rural medical group making 275k. Another in rural medical group making 275k. The one making the least was a fellowship trained guy who worked for another pod, was getting screwed and decided to move and buy a practice and start on his own. Everybody likes their job and life. But I still know too many with crappy jobs.

None are in large metro centers except the guy who owns own practice.

No one said the field is .... its the BS that goes on it that everyone talks about ... if this field was really well known and was a MD/DO specialty it would be a ROAD specialty easy
There are several threads where several of the same upset posters have said do not go into this terrible field...... I'm just trying to give my perspective. I'm quite happy.

Reactions: 3 users
@DYK343 i help review contracts for my former residents, colleagues, and friends.
Like I said... Open your own practice before taking one of those contracts. If someone is unhappy or getting screwed its up to them to make changes. Accepting a 100k associate job isnt going to cut it but they chose to take those jobs.

@DYK343 if you read my original post, that’s what I am saying. I’m telling everyone to NOT sign with other podiatrists.

I am writing this on behalf of all students entering the Match for 2020. As a Current resident in Atlanta, Ga, if you are considering returning to the area and are thinking of Ranking DVA Atlanta, DO NOT RANK this program. All the current 1st Year residents at the program have either transferred or re-entered the match to start over as first years next year. one of the second years has already transferred and the other two are looking to for opportunities elsewhere. One of the current third years has been on administrative leave for over 2 months for absolutely no reason except that the program cannot accommodate his need for rearfoot numbers, furthermore the attending responsible for placing this resident on administrative leave resigned from the Atlanta VA last month. The other third years have just recently completed their numbers and are having tremendous difficulty securing jobs and fellowships. The training at the program is sub-par with 2 full time non surgicalattendings one of which is the chief of the department who’s prerogative is to keep the residents in clinic to reduce her own work load. The program is affiliated with 3 surgical centers however cases go uncovered on a weekly basis because the residents are forced to cover clinic. The one attending that was performing rearfoot surgery also resigned last month and the full time attending that has inherited the surgical attendings role is not rearfoot certified and there is question amongst the current residents regarding this particular attending’s surgical skill, knowledge and experience. The academics at the program have suffered tremendously over the past 2 years either being canceled each week or assigning the residents lectures on APMA instead of giving lectures on medical or surgical principles. Earlier this year the OR at the Atlanta VA hospital was shut down for almost 2 months. The OR has since re-opened, but PODIATRY is allowed only 2 CASES per WEEK. Finally, the Director of the program knows of all these issues and has been falsely reporting the programs stability to CPME and was seen at CRIP interviewing for one position. This in my opinion is completely unethical as this Director does not plan on training the resident and is comfortable risking the career of a new resident and all the current residents knowing that there is a strong possibility that the program will shut down in the near future.
I urge all who are considering ranking this program to reconsider and seek opportunities elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I am writing this on behalf of all students entering the Match for 2020. As a Current resident in Atlanta, Ga, if you are considering returning to the area and are thinking of Ranking DVA Atlanta, DO NOT RANK this program. All the current 1st Year residents at the program have either transferred or re-entered the match to start over as first years next year. one of the second years has already transferred and the other two are looking to for opportunities elsewhere. One of the current third years has been on administrative leave for over 2 months for absolutely no reason except that the program cannot accommodate his need for rearfoot numbers, furthermore the attending responsible for placing this resident on administrative leave resigned from the Atlanta VA last month. The other third years have just recently completed their numbers and are having tremendous difficulty securing jobs and residencies. The training at the program is sub-par with 2 full time non surgicalattendings one of which is the chief of the department who’s prerogative is to keep the residents in clinic to reduce her own work load. The program is affiliated with 3 surgical centers however cases go uncovered on a weekly basis because the residents are forced to cover clinic. The one attending that was performing rearfoot surgery also resigned last month and the full time attending that has inherited the surgical attendings role is not rearfoot certified and there is question amongst the current residents regarding this particular attending’s surgical skill, knowledge and experience. The academics at the program have suffered tremendously over the past 2 years either being canceled each week or assigning the residents lectures on APMA instead of giving lectures on medical or surgical principles. Earlier this year the OR at the Atlanta VA hospital was shut down for almost 2 months. The OR has since re-opened, but PODIATRY is allowed only 2 CASES per WEEK. Finally, the Director of the program knows of all these issues and has been falsely reporting the programs stability to CPME and was seen at CRIP interviewing for one position. This in my opinion is completely unethical as this Director does not plan on training the resident and is comfortable risking the career of a new resident and all the current residents knowing that there is a strong possibility that the program will shut down in the near future.
I urge all who are considering ranking this program to reconsider and seek opportunities elsewhere.

thanks for sharing

I am writing this on behalf of all students entering the Match for 2020. As a Current resident in Atlanta, Ga, if you are considering returning to the area and are thinking of Ranking DVA Atlanta, DO NOT RANK this program. All the current 1st Year residents at the program have either transferred or re-entered the match to start over as first years next year. one of the second years has already transferred and the other two are looking to for opportunities elsewhere. One of the current third years has been on administrative leave for over 2 months for absolutely no reason except that the program cannot accommodate his need for rearfoot numbers, furthermore the attending responsible for placing this resident on administrative leave resigned from the Atlanta VA last month. The other third years have just recently completed their numbers and are having tremendous difficulty securing jobs and residencies. The training at the program is sub-par with 2 full time non surgicalattendings one of which is the chief of the department who’s prerogative is to keep the residents in clinic to reduce her own work load. The program is affiliated with 3 surgical centers however cases go uncovered on a weekly basis because the residents are forced to cover clinic. The one attending that was performing rearfoot surgery also resigned last month and the full time attending that has inherited the surgical attendings role is not rearfoot certified and there is question amongst the current residents regarding this particular attending’s surgical skill, knowledge and experience. The academics at the program have suffered tremendously over the past 2 years either being canceled each week or assigning the residents lectures on APMA instead of giving lectures on medical or surgical principles. Earlier this year the OR at the Atlanta VA hospital was shut down for almost 2 months. The OR has since re-opened, but PODIATRY is allowed only 2 CASES per WEEK. Finally, the Director of the program knows of all these issues and has been falsely reporting the programs stability to CPME and was seen at CRIP interviewing for one position. This in my opinion is completely unethical as this Director does not plan on training the resident and is comfortable risking the career of a new resident and all the current residents knowing that there is a strong possibility that the program will shut down in the near future.

Any advice for students who currently have DVA Atlanta as an externship month?

I welcome any advice from other posters as well.

I am writing this on behalf of all students entering the Match for 2020. As a Current resident in Atlanta, Ga, if you are considering returning to the area and are thinking of Ranking DVA Atlanta, DO NOT RANK this program. All the current 1st Year residents at the program have either transferred or re-entered the match to start over as first years next year. one of the second years has already transferred and the other two are looking to for opportunities elsewhere. One of the current third years has been on administrative leave for over 2 months for absolutely no reason except that the program cannot accommodate his need for rearfoot numbers, furthermore the attending responsible for placing this resident on administrative leave resigned from the Atlanta VA last month. The other third years have just recently completed their numbers and are having tremendous difficulty securing jobs and fellowships. The training at the program is sub-par with 2 full time non surgicalattendings one of which is the chief of the department who’s prerogative is to keep the residents in clinic to reduce her own work load. The program is affiliated with 3 surgical centers however cases go uncovered on a weekly basis because the residents are forced to cover clinic. The one attending that was performing rearfoot surgery also resigned last month and the full time attending that has inherited the surgical attendings role is not rearfoot certified and there is question amongst the current residents regarding this particular attending’s surgical skill, knowledge and experience. The academics at the program have suffered tremendously over the past 2 years either being canceled each week or assigning the residents lectures on APMA instead of giving lectures on medical or surgical principles. Earlier this year the OR at the Atlanta VA hospital was shut down for almost 2 months. The OR has since re-opened, but PODIATRY is allowed only 2 CASES per WEEK. Finally, the Director of the program knows of all these issues and has been falsely reporting the programs stability to CPME and was seen at CRIP interviewing for one position. This in my opinion is completely unethical as this Director does not plan on training the resident and is comfortable risking the career of a new resident and all the current residents knowing that there is a strong possibility that the program will shut down in the near future.

Hello I am currently a 4th year podiatry scramble and unfortunately I did not match and have entered the scramble. I am considering the DVA Atlanta podiatry residency and was wondering if you can provide an update on the state of the program?

Hello I am currently a 4th year podiatry scramble and unfortunately I did not match and have entered the scramble. I am considering the DVA Atlanta podiatry residency and was wondering if you can provide an update on the state of the program?

Hello I am writing this post on behalf of all the 4th year podiatry students entering the scramble. If you are considering the podiatry residency at DVA Atlanta it is in your best interest to pursue opportunities elsewhere. The purpose of this post is to provide an update to my previous post. Since the original post there has been no improvement. There has been no improvement of the administrative faculty of the program. In fact, upon discovery of the post both the program director and the assistant program director resigned. As a result, the program was without a director for almost an entire week. The administration’s solution to this program was to offer the position of interim director to all existing faculty members. The individual who was chosen for the position is the main surgical attending at the program. As mentioned in the previous post this particular attending’s surgical knowledge, skill and experience has been in question and now this person is the director of the program. I have been told that the new director also does not have any decision making capacity regarding the residents and the residency, instead the section chief (the previous director) is making all the decisions regarding the program. 2 of the third year residents are still looking for jobs and do not have definite plans after graduating the program. The third year resident that was placed on administrative leave ( as mentioned in the previous post) has remained in the library on a daily basis and is still on administrative leave despite multiple appeals and changes in leadership. The 2 remaining 2nd years are currently looking for opportunities at other programs. The 2 remaining first years are awaiting match and are willing to repeat residency given the lack of progress and lack of real focus to turning the program around. The academics at the program have also not improved. Currently the residents are required to do case defense presentations each week on the 2 elective cases each week with little to no input from the attendings including the attending performing the cases. The Attendings still do not provide the educational training that is required of a podiatric residency. Finally, It has been to my attention that CPME recently cited the program with multiple violations. As the program has not improved, I do not recommend that any students choose this program for a potential residency. If the podiatric residency at the Atlanta VA is your only option I strongly urge you to either take a year off, do a preceptorship at a participating program, and re-enter the match next year.

Last edited: