Youngin' in class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crmellon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I noticed that the average age (mostly through FB creeping the AZCOM 2016 FB page and comparing to last years matriculant class) is about 26 for AZCOM. I just turned 21 in January and will be in the class of 2016. I like to think I'm outgoing and personable, however, 5 years is a pretty solid gap. Basically, is there anyone who was well below the average age in their class that can shed light on their experience? Were you able to relate well with your class? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure why this is a concern for you because age is just a number. Five years really isn't that big of a gap. If the class avg was 55, then yeah I would feel a little out of place.
So just because there is a possible 5 year gap between you and a colleague you will be less personable and outgoing towards them? Not sure where you were heading with that.

Not sure why this is a concern for you because age is just a number. Five years really isn't that big of a gap. If the class avg was 55, then yeah I would feel a little out of place.
So just because there is a possible 5 year gap between you and a colleague you will be less personable and outgoing towards them? Not sure where you were heading with that.

No, not at all. It just struck me that the majority of my class is married or has significant life experience when compared to myself. I'm not expecting to be a pariah, I was just wondering what the dynamic is from the perspective of students who were on the younger end of their class. It not being a deal at all is an equally enlightening answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, not at all. It just struck me that the majority of my class is married or has significant life experience when compared to myself. I'm not expecting to be a pariah, I was just wondering what the dynamic is from the perspective of students who were on the younger end of their class. It not being a deal at all is an equally enlightening answer.

i'm in a similar situation as a "youngin". its not a big deal at all. its actually quite refreshing.

I'm 27 and unmarried and my significant life experience consists of waiting tables and a postbac. I don't expect to be an outcast, though.

I was/am in the same situation and can assure you that it's really not that big of a deal socially nor academically; the age makes a difference only if you want.

I have friends at school whose ages I just found out, and they are significantly older than I am. I'm 23 and some of my friends are 29, 33, 31, etc. You're all in the same place--med school, obviously--so no matter your background, you're going through the same thing.

It's to your advantage so take advantage of it. We have people in our class who are married with kids, just got engaged/married, have a ton of distractions. Do your thing and focus on school. Hopefully you have all the "partying" out of your system though being 21 :)

I had just turned 20 when I matriculated and that biggest problem was that I couldn't go to many gatherings because they were at places which served alcohol. Since you're 21, you won't have that problem. :p Everyone does have the "OMG" reaction when they find out, though, so I just kept it to myself unless someone asked. I am great friends with some of the oldest people in my class, as well as some people who are only 2-3 years older than me. It's really a non issue.

So, I noticed that the average age (mostly through FB creeping the AZCOM 2016 FB page and comparing to last years matriculant class) is about 26 for AZCOM. I just turned 21 in January and will be in the class of 2016. I like to think I'm outgoing and personable, however, 5 years is a pretty solid gap. Basically, is there anyone who was well below the average age in their class that can shed light on their experience? Were you able to relate well with your class? Any advice?

Since we will be going thru painful and awesome life experiences of medical school students together your age will be forgotten and yeah a ton of married people in azcom 2016.

It's all about the individual. My school has a BS/DO 7 year program so we have some pretty young people. It's easy to see one of them acting the fool and say it is because of their age, but some of the older folks in my class get pretty silly sometimes. Others have pleasantly surprised me when I learn they are only 20/21. Behave like a grownup and you will be seen as one, and if anyone gives you trouble just remember that when you are their age you will already have your DO.

PS for disclosure's sake, I am above average age for my class.

Great insights, I really appreciate it.

I'll weigh in. My experience has been a bit different from what's been posted above.

I'm one of the youngest people in my class, but I've always been mature for my age (I'm 25 as an MS-3, but I'm married with a kid too, etc). My experience has been that there is indeed a sort of "rift" between the older and younger members of the class. Superficially, the older students will mingle with the younger ones but they don't usually form any sort of substantial friendships with them. (There are exceptions.) Furthermore, I've seen a lot of older nontrads who seem to feel as though they're...just "better" than the 'youngins' because they have kids and stuff to juggle with school, etc. This attitude has reached a fervent, almost obnoxious pitch at times, and I'm personally somewhat sick of hearing it - I'm young, I have a kid too, I get how stressful it is, but I'm not constantly wearing it as some sort of red badge of courage. I'm more like the older students in terms of my outlook on life - I'm not into partying and drinking myself ******ed - but I'm one of the younger students in terms of age, so I don't really fit well into either group. Many of the older students with families are only interested in spending the minimum amount of time on campus, and they run off asap at the end of the day to be with their families - which I get, but it doesn't help the cause of class cohesion one iota.

What I'm trying to say is that while I'm indeed friends with some of the older people in the class, there's definitely discrete groups of "younger students" and "older students" around here, and they don't always mix all that well. This may or may not cause problems for you socially, but expect to see evidence of it.