Your #1 activity entry for AMCAS!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Gem of your ACMAS is...!

• Research - no publication, no presentation

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Research - w/ publication or presentation

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Hospital Related Experience

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Non-Hospital Related Volunteering

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • Leadership

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • Travel/Work/Study Abroad

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Athletics

Votes: 16 10.2%
  • Awards/Scholarships

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • GPA/MCAT

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Work Experience

Votes: 19 12.1%

• Total voters

UMICHPremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is your flagship activity...

What will get you off the waitlist...

What obligates Harvard, Yale, J-Hopkins, and UPenn to accept you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me, it is research. I've got 3 years of it. Also, I have 14 years of music/music composition, but that's not medically related :p

Could be being a theatre major and all my artistic endevours, my clinical work experience (which is what I chose for the poll), or my MCAT score.

That's kinda hard, but I went with work

I do have several presentations, publications, about 9 years of research, lots of teaching, 16+ leadership activities, lots of non-medical volunteering, and a ton of other things. If nothing else, my activities are solid. :)

However, I think that work would get me off the waitlist (I'm not applying this year, I'm applying next year). I've

1) run my own business, actually I've run a few of them

AND

2) spent 1.5 years with a company whose "alums" have an incredibly high medical school placement rate. There was a joke that if you didn't come in wanting to be a doctor, by the time you left, you would.

I've been told that it doesn't matter what order you put these in. The adcoms can resort them by whatever category they want.

Who knows if that's true though.

Paid clinical experience. 1 year full time EMT & 3 years part time in a hospital.

Also have 1.5 years of research

I was co-author on the synthesis of the first artificial life published in Science a few weeks ago.

Is this thread a trick to make us show our hand/give ideas to wee ones? Or to stroke one's own ego? :poke:

I'm suspicious. :shifty:

I've been told that it doesn't matter what order you put these in. The adcoms can resort them by whatever category they want.

Who knows if that's true though.

Sorry to mislead you. By #1, I am not saying what comes first, but what you think is your best.

Is this thread a trick to make us show our hand/give ideas to wee ones? Or to stroke one's own ego? :poke:

I'm suspicious. :shifty:

I am interested in these type of things. This is a poll; I am only interested in the statistics, not the details of the activity. My activities part of AMCAS has been done. Btw, I voted for research w/ publication in Journal of American Chem. Society.

Really hard to say, because I think I have a bunch of equally interesting things. I ended up voting for Work in this poll, because I have a significant decade-long career that I think is pretty interesting.

Other things in my app that may get varying levels of attention from varying kinds of AdCom personalities are my MCAT verbal score, personal interests/hobbies, non-clinical community service, and clinical volunteering.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was co-author on einstein's theory of relativity

also, i single handedly engineered the method that will finally stop the gulf oil leak - it just hasnt been implemented yet

i was co-author on einstein's theory of relativity

also, i single handedly engineered the method that will finally stop the gulf oil leak - it just hasnt been implemented yet
:laugh:

Don't forget about the orphans you pulled from the ruble in Haiti :thumbup:

:laugh:

Don't forget about the orphans you pulled from the ruble in Haiti :thumbup:

almost forgot. god, ive done so many awesome things that sometimes i forget some of them

so hard to decide which to put as number one... mostly because they are ALL number one

Well for me is that I am a UNCF Merck Undergraduate Fellow (35,000 scholarship) and I am a Jack H. Skirball Ethical Leader Scholar (5,000) and lastly I volunteered in Africa as well as research as a Minority Health International Research Training Scholar :D

Too bad getting robbed while I was in Africa was not one of the activities :D jk but I really did got robbed. hahhhahaha
Starting my own nonprofit! =)

Wow, what an important question. It is so important that I .....

...don't even remember

I think this is actually a pretty interesting poll and something worth considering. When sitting down and analyzing your application I think there needs to be a "centerpiece" if you wanted to get into a top <blank> school.

I don't really have anything like that so I'm not really applying to many top schools at all. On the other hand I think I have a pretty balanced application that might do well in the middle tier.

I think the top tier schools are really looking to make diverse/balanced student bodies, but they don't do this by accepting people who "have done some of everything" they seem to do it by accepting people who did a couple things really, really well. Then when all of these people come together, you have a balanced student body.

I think this is actually a pretty interesting poll and something worth considering. When sitting down and analyzing your application I think there needs to be a "centerpiece" if you wanted to get into a top <blank> school.

I don't really have anything like that so I'm not really applying to many top schools at all. On the other hand I think I have a pretty balanced application that might do well in the middle tier.

I think the top tier schools are really looking to make diverse/balanced student bodies, but they don't do this by accepting people who "have done some of everything" they seem to do it by accepting people who did a couple things really, really well. Then when all of these people come together, you have a balanced student body.

Well said! :)

I got asked about numerous things at my interviews when I applied but every interviewer asked about my study abroads and missions trips. I did a trip to Africa in high school (mentioned in PS) and then studied abroad in Europe and Central America (one humanities trip and one Marine Biology trip) I had a lot of good experiences going for me but these seemed to be most frequently discussed