YOUR #1 School and why

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UCLA is AWSOMEEEEEEE. besides the fact that it is in a great area, new facilities and low price, my close friend study medicine at UCLA:D my #2 is UOPPPPP . oh boy the location is beyond imagination (one of the best area in SF), and 3 years come onnnnnnn
#3 would be Maryland

i agree ucla would be quite nice, but im hesitant because they seem so geared towards research (the dean wants new buildings+faculty just for research), and i dont particularly like doing research as a personal activity. i am very much for research to advance our knowledge in oral health though! also heard the curriculum is insaneee and lots of smarties (it IS ucla, afterall) who want to specialize, makes me feel i will have no sleep if i go there lol!

yes UoP is 3 yrs, but i heard it costs the same as a 4 yr and have classes throughout summer, so it is very intense.

just some info i heard to pass along :)

oh, and im very glad this isnt a bashing thread that would go along the lines of "yo username, i know you really like talking about your #1 school and all, and imma let you finish, but ____ school has one of the best dental programs of ALL TIME!"

kanye anyone? lol

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UCLA is AWSOMEEEEEEE. besides the fact that it is in a great area, new facilities and low price, my close friend study medicine at UCLA:D my #2 is UOPPPPP . oh boy the location is beyond imagination (one of the best area in SF), and 3 years come onnnnnnn
#3 would be Maryland

LOL @ "low price"

Might want to check your facts on that one. UCLA is still cheaper than Pacific, but I bet you'd be surprised by how little.

Right now I think it's a toss up between University of Florida, University of Alabama at Birmingham, and Nova Southeastern University.

UAB- Excellent clinical and academics, students are often fulfilling double the procedural count state requirements, and excellent curriculum. You get to do simple fillings first year, and the main clinical starts second year. The downside is the simulation lab is relatively new (2005) but not state-of-the-art.

Nova- Excellent clinical, but probably not as good in the academic area. The simulation lab is as state-of-the-art as it gets. There are lots of mission trip opportunities.

UF- Low in-state tuition rate. Good on clinical, although with a smaller patient pool than Nova and UAB. 0% attrition rate with the most recent classes. The simulation lab is still new. There are lots of mission trip opportunities.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
LOL @ "low price"

Might want to check your facts on that one. UCLA is still cheaper than Pacific, but I bet you'd be surprised by how little.

You can't compare UoP and UCLA (or any other dental school) by price IMO. UoP students finish in 3 years so you can work the 4th (or eventually be a year ahead if you do residency)...sort of a big difference.

You can't compare UoP and UCLA (or any other dental school) by price IMO. UoP students finish in 3 years so you can work the 4th (or eventually be a year ahead if you do residency)...sort of a big difference.

I think you can compare the price pretty easily. You take the numbers, put them side by side, and look at them.

If you want to be fancy, you can even say (Out loud, to yourself) "I wonder how much finishing 1 year early is worth to me, in dollar monies!" Then you can subtract that amount from the Pacific cost.

just wondering why Nova is your last choice, i thought it was a really nice school
thanks

My thoughts exactly. NOVA has an insanely high-tech simulation lab (e.g. the computer will tell you if your burr angle is wrong), which should be taken into consideration. Also, NOVA has a very high chair to student number ratio and is in a great location for a large patient pool. The downside is cost; 150 grand is a bit steep for in-state tuition.

My thoughts exactly. NOVA has an insanely high-tech simulation lab (e.g. the computer will tell you if your burr angle is wrong), which should be taken into consideration. Also, NOVA has a very high chair to student number ratio and is in a great location for a large patient pool. The downside is cost; 150 grand is a bit steep for in-state tuition.

Are you sure about this? At my interview, Dr. Lippman (which is reason enough to go to Nova :)) mentioned that they are working on the chair problem. It is one of my top choices so I just want to be sure on this.

Are you sure about this? At my interview, Dr. Lippman (which is reason enough to go to Nova :)) mentioned that they are working on the chair problem. It is one of my top choices so I just want to be sure on this.
Ryltar?? anyone?

I think you can compare the price pretty easily. You take the numbers, put them side by side, and look at them.

If you want to be fancy, you can even say (Out loud, to yourself) "I wonder how much finishing 1 year early is worth to me, in dollar monies!" Then you can subtract that amount from the Pacific cost.

Technically the amount you should add is how much you make your last year of working, right?

I don't know, I think it is sort of complicated.

Ryltar?? anyone?

I have not interviewed there yet myself, and I'm scheduled for November. On paper they have a high chair to student-ratio, but I suppose they have a problem with multiple large classes sharing chairs. I shadowed a dentist who graduated from Nova in 2005, and he mentioned that at times they had slight chair problems due to some people cheating the computerized booking system.

I do know for sure that Nova's patient selection is a lot better than most dental schools. Nova Accepts 60-65% of patients, whereas UF accepts 88% of patients. Also, Nova has a comprehensive care system, where dental students get to perform all of the procedures within their ability that is part of their patients' treatment plans.

I do know for sure that Nova's patient selection is a lot better than most dental schools. Nova Accepts 60-65% of patients, whereas UF accepts 88% of patients. Also, Nova has a comprehensive care system, where dental students get to perform all of the procedures within their ability that is part of their patients' treatment plans.

Yeah, patients are definitely not a problem.... but how can you see those patients without the chairs. Either way it is still one of my top choices because it is a great clinical school, and Dr. Lippman is honest about the issue and how they are attacking it.

How did you like their simulation lab? I've heard from quite a few people that you won't find a simulation lab with better technology than the one at Nova.

How did you like their simulation lab? I've heard from quite a few people that you won't find a simulation lab with better technology than the one at Nova.

Oh yeah, it nice. But I wish there were more units.

what about ucla vs. ucsf? what is the difference b/w these two schools?:confused:

what about ucla vs. ucsf? what is the difference b/w these two schools?:confused:

No, don't do that. :)

Search UCLA or UCSF (or both) and search only in titles (not posts) in pre-dental forum.
You will get about 9 pages of threads. The UCSF vs UCLA ones will be obvious.

Technically the amount you should add is how much you make your last year of working, right?

I don't know, I think it is sort of complicated.

Think of how it would look plotted on a curve. You're going to be adding another "average" year, whatever your average ends up being.

Last edited:
Think of how it would look plotted on a curve. You're going to be adding another "average" year, whatever you average ends up being.

You: "... and this is why I want to go to this school."
Interviewer: :eek:
You: :banana: