Your 2-cents on Med School Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LowlyPremed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been perusing the threads trying to figure out how to select which med schools I will be applying to. So I know what to look for but I'm not sure about the differences in the curriculums being offered. From what I've read at most of the schools that I'm looking into, the curriculum seems pretty much the same. How to people generally feel about PBL? While I wouldn't call myself a loner, I'm not sure that I want to spend a lot of time in PBL compared to time in a lecture. Is there a real advantage to an organ based curriculum.

Members don't see this ad.

try to get p/f schools...and don't be fooled by those 5 interval "p/f" grading schemes, as they might as well be actual grades

Do PBL folks spend more time in class than lecture-based folks?

I personally detest small group discussion and "studying" with others.

Members don't see this ad :)
sunnyjohn said:
I personally detest small group discussion and "studying" with others.

Haha, you should go to OSU and do the Independent Study Program - you'll never have to study with others :)

it. said:
try to get p/f schools...and don't be fooled by those 5 interval "p/f" grading schemes, as they might as well be actual grades

Ditto. I asked a resident I knew about curricula at various med schools, and he said it really won't matter whether it's PBL or whatnot. What does matter is P/F.

I should add that there are a few unique curricula out there, like Duke's or UPenn's, where you actually shorten the length of time you spend in classes to less than 2 years. I think these are the exception to the "ignore curriculum" advice the resident gave me.

But even with P/F, doesn't the school rank you anyway, based on your test/class percentage scores? Or is that true only at some schools?

Which schools are simply P/F? OSU is P/F, but they also have high pass and/or honors (I know for sure that they have at least one of those).

If you don't like working in a small group, avoid schools that use PBL. People complain about Northwestern's 3 on 3 interviewing but part of the reason for that method is that the curriculum is heavy on small group discussion and they want students who can function effectively in that environment.

Organ based curriculum means that while you are studying the anatomy of an organ, you will be covering the anatomy, physiology and histology of the same organ at the same time. The same goes for teaching pathophysiology and pharmacology in the second year (e.g. learn about a disease and the drugs used to treat it at the same time) The other way is to have classes labeled, Anatomy, Physiology and Histology. The order in which organs is taught might make sense to the professors but seems entirely random when you cover anatomy of colon, physiology of the respiratory system and histology of the thyroid all in the same week.

Pass/Fail is definitely the way to go.

At UConn we have 3 hrs of PBL/week. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't have wanted any more than that.

I really enjoyed having organ-based curriculum. Everything was integrated together and we had one 4 1/2 hour exam per section (about every 7 weeks or so).

Other issues to consider:
How many hours of lecture/day the school offers?
How often are exams and approximately how much material they cover?
What classes are mandatory attendance?
What is the remediation process for exam failure?
How are you taught clinical skills and how is this practiced and evaluated?
What is the clinical exposure like in the first two years?
Are electives required and what types are offered?

Deirdre

After agonizing over this question myself last year, I came to a few realizations (with the help of ideas from various others).

The biggest difference med schools will try and push on you is PBL vs. Lecture based. Nowadays, every school is advertising some type of PBL. Its up to you to figure out EXACTLY what they mean. I would say a few of the only schools that are truly PBL schools are Cornell, Northwestern, Cleveland Clinic, and SIU. Everyone else will have PBL style small group discussions, or seminars, but its not as big a part of the curriculum (ie not everyday for 3 hours) as at the aformentioned places.

My take on PBL vs. Lecture is that ultimately it doesn't matter one way or another. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. If you don't like group work, stay away from PBL. If you do better by skipping class and studying by yourself, go to lecture based. People will say PBL is so great because you have only x hours of class, then the rest of the day. Well guess what, you have the rest of the day, but a decent amount of that time needs to be spent studying independently on stuff you didn't talk about in PBL group. You can effectively do something similar at lecture schools by not going to the boring/uninteresting classes and covering the material yourself, especially if they have transcription services, recorded lectures, slides, outlines, etc available.

Yes, PBL will probably train your critical thinking/problem solving skills. Not to say you can't have the same thing in lecture based schools. People will say PBL schools require more time studying for boards because they may have missed something because of the fact that their PBL group went a certain direction with a case. This is probably true, but everyone needs to study a lot for boards, regardless of curriculum style.

I guess what I am trying to say here, is that ultimately PBL vs lecture really doesn't matter (Unless you have some huge aversion to group work). There are many other factors in choosing a med school that are more important, and will have a bigger impact on you experience.

One of these is P/F vs. graded. I think this is a much more important element of curriculum. And don't schools fool you, there is no difference between F/LP/P/HP/H and F/D/C/B/A. Even F/P/H isn't as desireable. I think that anything beyond straight P/F is asking for competitive behavior. Yes, people are competitive everywhere, even in schools with P/F. But why give people who are by nature competitive to be even more competitive and cut throat? For me, having a P/F system was definitely something I was looking for in a school, and it did factor into my decision of where to go. I just think that its easier to learn when you can focus on getting through the material to understand and learning, rather than panicing over whether I need to do better than some other people so I can get honors.

True, some places may keep records of actual scores for AOA and class rankings for dean's letters, but at least its not thrown in your face every week. Now if you are not the self motivating type, and think you will just do enough to pass in a P/F, then it might not work out very well. But generally, I think P/F is a great thing, and something that will definitely affect your med school experience.

Ok, sorry for that diatribe. I am bored at work and needed something to do.

FaytlND: Ok, sorry for that diatribe. I am bored at work and needed something to do.

Not at all, this was definately helpful. Three hours of PBL per week sounds fine. I'm not sure that I could stand more than that. I will definately apply to schools with P/F. The schools with P/F seem to have a more friendly environment. I think that I will do well in such an environment.

beanbean: Other issues to consider

Some of those suggestions are things that I have not actually considered.

Thanks all for your respones.

after briefly looking through msar, i've found that the best p/f curriculums are often found in the more highly ranked, and thus more selective schools, whereas the lower tiered schools tend to fudge the p/f scheme with h/hp/p/f, etc. just somethin to think about