Your accepted. Now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adamMD

MS-4
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently been accepted to the fall 08 entering class. Seeing that I had to take the MCAT three times, I forsee med school as an extremely difficult (but rewarding) journey. My question is, how many of you have started or plan to start going over some of the 1st year course material? What's the best approach here? I'm fully aware that med school we'll teach me what I need to know but why should I waste the next months when I could get a head start? I really don't want to take the USMLE step 1 three times...

Also, I know I should be relaxing right now and I am. There are only so many nights a week that I want to waste money getting drunk. I'd like to be somewhat productive. Anyone else feel me on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I've recently been accepted to the fall 08 entering class. Seeing that I had to take the MCAT three times, I forsee med school as an extremely difficult (but rewarding) journey. My question is, how many of you have started or plan to start going over some of the 1st year course material? What's the best approach here? I'm fully aware that med school we'll teach me what I need to know but why should I waste the next months when I could get a head start? I really don't want to take the USMLE step 1 three times...

Also, I know I should be relaxing right now and I am. There are only so many nights a week that I want to waste money getting drunk. I'd like to be somewhat productive. Anyone else feel me on this?

I'm with you...although I think extra time would be better spent working out/running and working as much as possible to make extra money before starting school....give yourself a break so you're ready to start strong...at least that's my theory!

I know what you mean but I believe in the common advice that it isn't too practical to spend a lot of time studying before med-school. I have the Netter flash cards and have been looking over them a little to boost my anatomy, but other than that I'm not planning on hitting the books too hard during my free semester.

I'm trying to be productive in the arts rather than sciences. I finally have time to use my degree (music) how I want to... so composing, playing music out with friends, practicing, learning new pieces, etc... are all possible now. Haven't started reading yet but I think I'll get into a book sometime soon.

I'm also thinking about the logistics of going to med school. Where to live, how to move my stuff out there, finances, etc. Along with working more of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your accepted. Now what?

Um, learn how to spell, "you're." Just kidding. :D

Congratulations. DO NOT try to go over MS-1 material during the time between now and matriculation; it will be an utter waste of your time. Don't buy your textbooks until you see which ones you actually need. Don't try to study for the USMLE right now; it's like trying to study for the MCAT without any experience with, or having taken, the premedical prerequisites.

Your best bet, I think, is to go over/preview First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 as you are studying your class material once school starts. See what is emphasized on the USMLE and how your class material fits in; make some notes. This will give you a bit of a jump on things.

Right now, you should be getting some R & R. Do something that is really fun, not just partying at your local bar. For example, do some travelling overseas, or something, or whatever floats your boat. This is your chance to take advantage of very valuable free time. Completely indulge in it. Once school starts, you'll be hard pressed to find much free time.

Get your finances in order, immunizations, look for an apartment, roommate, etc.

From what I've heard from current friends that are med students, it's not really the difficulty of the material as much as it is the volume. Develop excellent study habits in med school and you'll be fine, no matter how many times you took the mcat.

completely agree. Going out and partying with friends is fun and all but it isn't cheap. I graduated in Dec so I really have nothing to do. So I picked up a job with Kaplan teaching the MCAT course, I work out about 4-5 times a week, and I plan on getting a Medical spanish book and reading it. I don't know how much of a benefit it would be for me to start reading medical text books but I am def tempted to begin. I already live near the school I will be attending for medical school so i walk bye the bookstore and see the medical school textbooks and am so ready to buy them and begin logging some hours.

The other options that i have been considering is beginning some research or searching for some physicians to shadow extensively, hopefully good enough that they let me be a retractor b*&%$ or some other peon which should reap some benefits later on down the road.

All this extra time sucks! I am the kinda person that needs a routine to feel good. Waking up past 10:00 and playing call of duty all day provides monetary relief but after a couple days I feel guilty:confused: weird huh?

completely agree. Going out and partying with friends is fun and all but it isn't cheap. I graduated in Dec so I really have nothing to do. So I picked up a job with Kaplan teaching the MCAT course, I work out about 4-5 times a week, and I plan on getting a Medical spanish book reading it. I don't know how much of a benefit it would be for me to start reading medical text books but I am def tempted to begin. I already leave near the school I will be attending for medical school so i walk bye the bookstore and see the medical school textbooks and am so ready to buy them and begin logging some hours.

Don't buy any textbooks until school starts and you really figure out what you need/want. Otherwise you might find yourself out $600+ on books you don't ever use. If you really really want to see those books, go to the school's library and read them there (assuming you can get in without a school ID).

But you might want to work on your grammar, too. :rolleyes:

Now, you relax. I'm trying to do everything fun that I've always wanted to do, but have never had the time for due to a myriad of reasons (e.g. reading interesting books for enjoyment, traveling, learning new songs to play on the guitar and piano, etc.)

The way I see it, when the med school train starts it'll never stop. If I'm not studying for an upcoming exam, I'll be studying for step I, doing research, or gaining clinical experience to gain some insight before 3rd/4th years. So I want to enjoy my time off because I know I'm not going to have very much of it in the coming months. Also, I think by going over the material beforehand I could risk burning out--I want to enter medical school with a fresh mind and a fresh start.

And as for the MCAT-->Step I worries, from what I've heard, step I is an entirely different beast than the MCAT. So doing well or poorly on the one test doesn't necessarily imply a similar performance on the other.

Yeah, I'm really hammering down my guitar skills and lift weights everyday. I certainly have a life outside medicine but, hell, I wouldn't be going to med school if I wasn't interested in it.

Since med school will be such an enormous amount of material, I'm worried that I'll just memorize a bunch of stuff to pass an exam but then lose all the info later. I figure, if I start now, while I'm not stressed out, I'll create more permanent memories.

On a final note, I didn't make a spelling error. Obviously I wanted the thread to say "your accepted" like it's your acceptance.

don't worry about it adamMD everyone in this forum is a hard A about grammar and spelling...whatever they need to do to feel superior

Yeah, I'm really hammering down my guitar skills and lift weights everyday. I certainly have a life outside medicine but, hell, I wouldn't be going to med school if I wasn't interested in it.

Medical school is definitely tough and you'll be hard pressed to find significant free time, at least guilt-free free time. There will probably be some times during school that will test your interest in medicine. However, that said, you'll learn to adapt. I know it's tough to wait, especially when you are on the brink of such a perilous adventure. Seriously, though, looking back, I really wish I had used my interim period better. It's not your last chance to enjoy free time, but look at this period as the time before you ship out to war. Do what makes you happy.

Since med school will be such an enormous amount of material, I'm worried that I'll just memorize a bunch of stuff to pass an exam but then lose all the info later. I figure, if I start now, while I'm not stressed out, I'll create more permanent memories.

Nice thought, but, no, it won't help much at all. Your study will be completely unfocused and the material is about as dry as the Mojave desert. You won't retain much just by reading 2000 page textbooks over this period of time. Seriously, I don't use 2/3 of my textbooks. If you try to study now, you'll probably just be wasting your valuable time.

On a final note, I didn't make a spelling error. Obviously I wanted the thread to say "your accepted" like it's your acceptance.

:laugh: Sure. Don't worry about it. I was just busting your chops. I make mistakes like that, too.

If I could do it all over again, I would have taken a course in medical transcription. I don't know how expensive they are, or how long they take, but I believe that you can work at home, or do piecework, basically. Then, as a med student, I would have transcribed during my post-exam weekends, or something - just for a little extra pocket money.

Get a job if you like. Volunteer in the ER. But studying in advance is usually a waste of time.

P.S. I'm not even totally sure if you're allowed to take Step 1 three times. Some schools will kick you out if you don't pass it on the second try, I believe. And all you need to do is pass Step 1 the first time - unlike the MCAT, you can't take it repeatedly just because you "weren't happy with your score." Once you pass, the NBME prohibits you from registering for Step 1 again.

"Accepted" is not a noun. Your excuse doesn't make any grammatical sense.... So maybe you didn't make a spelling error, but you made a grammatical error in its place...;)

Whatever. It's not a big deal. At least you didn't say "Ur accepted" or something idiotic like that.

Anyone have any good ideas for a short-term job? I will be graduating in May and will have a few months of free time before starting medical school. I want to get some traveling done, but don't have the money at the moment. I can't think of anything short-term that will bring in a decent cash flow so that I can buy all the things I need to move and begin medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now you go learn that "your" and "you're" are two different words.

How can people even think about traveling? I have over 10K in debt :eek:

How can people even think about traveling? I have over 10K in debt :eek:

And you'll be in even greater debt when it's all over. I'm accumulating $40.5K worth of debt each year, until I finish school. I try not to let debt get the best of me; there are enough stressors around me right now. I put financial aid debt in the category called, "completely out of my control for now."

Believe it, or not, there are relatively inexpensive/frugal ways to travel and have a good time. Whatever. You don't have to travel. My recommendation is to do something that is going to make you happy, whatever that happens to be. Don't worry about preparing academically; the effort to result ratio is going to be so high as to make it virtually worthless for you.

I'm in the same situation. First off (sounds like you're already doing it) - get into shape. If you're going to have any chance whatsoever of staying in shape in med school, it needs to be automatic.

As stated, everyone has told me not to start studying - you'll waste time. Over the summer, I may start learning some gross - but mostly because I'll just be excited to get started.

For most of us (at least most people I know), work normally occupies the overwhelming majority of our lives. When we have a vacuum, it feels "off" and we feel lazy. Become great at something - even if it's not relevant or useful. I've been beating Xbox games, learning the guitar (I still suck, my fingers are KILLING me!), and doing research.

First off, congratulations on your acceptance!

After hearing about mine, I must say that life is certainly amazing. I've been going to the gym, picking the guitar again, playing piano and doing alot of reading! Mostly books on residencies, medicins san frontieres and experiences. a sibling of mine is already in medical school and said that it would be pointless to study now. I'm going to use the time i have now till august to recharge my batteries. To be honest, I am very excited and can't wait to start! I'm just gonna take it slow, enjoy my last semester and try to stay busy. Once again, congrats to all! and good luck to those still waiting!

Anyone have any good ideas for a short-term job? I will be graduating in May and will have a few months of free time before starting medical school.

I am in the same boat and figure I can make a couple hundred a week by waiting tables during the break. I am looking forward to doing something mindless for a few months.

I normally get flamed for saying this, but some medical schools offer a chance to take one of their first semester courses the summer before school starts, so as to lighten your courseload during that first semester. I personally think that the first semester is proably the time when you´d want the most free time (making friends involves way more time than maintaining them, and figuring out how to study for medical school might take some time as well), so if you have the opportunity I´d say go for it. Same goes for getting a head start knocking out your courses if you´re planning on pursuing a suplementary degree like an MPH.

If you´re not getting credit, though, definitely skip the studying. I can´t imagine that you´d retainin enough for it to matter.

How can people even think about traveling? I have over 10K in debt

I´m traveling right now. Drop in the ocean, you know?

I am in the same boat and figure I can make a couple hundred a week by waiting tables during the break. I am looking forward to doing something mindless for a few months.

Waiting tables is a good one. Another idea is to try to find something fun to do outside. I was thinking of working as a mate on a charter fishing boat if I can get my work done in time and get a real summer vacation.