Your ASDA presence do anything useful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MONKEYBOY

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my dental school, I think I heard there is no ASDA chapter/representative-person/presence. If there is, it has been inconsequential thus far (no one I've asked has heard or knows).

Does having a person affiliated with ASDA actually do anything useful?

Before you type the laundry list of ASDA's vague mission statement, please just answer my question. No, I do not consider a bunch of schwag (i.e., stuipid foam stress-squeeze balls, cheap pens, plastic bags etc as useful).

Members don't see this ad.

I think one of the most useful things we have had is people come talk to us about disability insurance during a lunch 'n learn. In the past, we have also had a bunch of vendors set up booths for a trade show. We have loupes companies, dental supply companies, practice management companies, etc. come to our school and give out information, answer questions, etc. Some of it is very beneficial.

At my dental school, I think I heard there is no ASDA chapter/representative-person/presence. If there is, it has been inconsequential thus far (no one I've asked has heard or knows).

Does having a person affiliated with ASDA actually do anything useful?

Before you type the laundry list of ASDA's vague mission statement, please just answer my question. No, I do not consider a bunch of schwag (i.e., stuipid foam stress-squeeze balls, cheap pens, plastic bags etc as useful).

looks like you're going to UW. each class has an ASDA rep, as well as an ASDA committee for all classes. there's ample opportunity for all, and they offer L&L quite frequently
might be in your best interest to talk to people who are actually in the dental school, and not your incoming classmates or other neurotic, crazy UW predents.

don't worry about it. you're obviously an overachieving gunner. you'll fit right in at UW.
and the way you phrase questions/answers seems quite smug. once again, you'll fit right in at UW.

Members don't see this ad :)
A discount on dental decks I think. My wife and I did not join any of our 4 years of dental school. We turned out just fine and had a few more dollars in our pocket at the end of school.

I think the national ASDA gets a lot more done on the student level like lobbying for greater state acceptance of board exams. It wasn't that long ago that California still administered its own board exam instead of accepting the results of the WREB. Not that ASDA was directly responsible for California, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had a role. I know it was an ASDA member who go the ball rolling for NY to move to licensure after completion of a residency program.

But at the ADA level, I am disappointed.