Your Best Mentor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolfie77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who is/are your mentor(s)?

For me, I have good relationships with at least 3-4 faculty but have one who I would consider my mentor as well as friend. She is a faculty member in my major's department (biology, of course). She hasn't ever taught one of my courses but I'm in her lab and she has written all my recs that I have needed. I feel that this person really has my back and is going to be truly invaluable next yr when I apply.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
A physician that treated me for cystic acne at a young age. He has given me a friendly kick in the butt when i suspected things were not going to work out for me. Also wrote a great LOR

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

No one person. I've sort of just collected experience as I've moved along through college.

For those of you who mentioned physicians, how would you say that kind of mentor is different from a faculty mentor?

I've never thought to approach my (or any) doctor for advice. I kinda assumed they would either be uninterested or too busy.

My college bass instructor who passively pushed me to pursue medicine for 3 years. And unfortunately I don't think I can use him for a LOR.

my PI of 2 years who was a boss

Same, my research mentor is also my boss and she has been invaluable to me. Always gives the best advice with no sugar-coating. Just the way I like it.

For those of you who mentioned physicians, how would you say that kind of mentor is different from a faculty mentor?

I've never thought to approach my (or any) doctor for advice. I kinda assumed they would either be uninterested or too busy.

My research mentor is an academic physician, so she is extremely busy. Nevertheless if I need to talk to her about anything, even stuff unrelated to medical school or residency, she always has my back and takes the time to talk to me. You just have to get good at timing when is an appropriate time to approach them for advice.

My mentor was an Ophthalmologist that let me publish a research paper with him. He also wrote me a LOR and allowed me to shadow him whenever I wanted.

My physician and i were united via wrestling (folk style in high school); a gradual friendship was formed, I said something about my interest in medicine and he expressed how great he thought id be at the profession.

Talk to your physician as a friend, not an idol that is some supreme being and you'll do just fine (assuming the physician isnt a complete a-hole)...

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Same for me in undergrad. During my pre-clinicals and clinical year I was very close to a neurologist that taught me everything I know about histories and physicals. I now am pretty close to a resident and attending pair that I work closely with.

48740_o.gif

I knew a reference to either Scrubs or House was coming... :p

+1. Though she gave me some unsound advice (like applying for a PhD program and then apply for med school :wtf:) but she was VERY supportive of me throughout this whole process.

a post-doc I worked with for a year who continuously encouraged me to apply.

my brother's girlfriend who is in medical school right now :biglove:

my pre-med advisor who gave the best advice and feedback. wouldn't have been possible without her.

A physician allowed me to shadow him, gave me the LOR, pep talked me through the pre-reqs and application. I'd probably still be in undergrad without him.

My college bass instructor who passively pushed me to pursue medicine for 3 years. And unfortunately I don't think I can use him for a LOR.

I disagree. If you dedicated a lot of time to that particular activity, I think you should use him. Most admissions committees would much rather receive a letter from someone like him compared to a doctor that you only shadowed for a few weeks.