Your car now/your car when you graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What I can answer about the sticker on the side is it is stock for cars that have a Dual Overhead Cam motor in it. That car stock normally does not have that motor in it, but since the person has had that motor swapped in it, he took off the original SOHC sticker and replaced it with the DOHC sticker. Because that would be stupid if he didn't.

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea. That's not my car.. Me saying how much a car cost and how much the mods are doesn't mean I own the thing. So :scared:

Maybe you just don't understand the point...

So that red car you posted is NOT your car?

Wait, seriously? You were posting about putting $4k of crap in a car worth 3k and it being less than a prius, then when questioned about whether you were a ricer, you responded with 3-4 posts with pictures of cars, and now it's not your car?

Why in the world would you get so defensive over it?

Why not before the 3 posts about cars that aren't 'riced', just say, "This isn't my car, I was just using at as an example)

You are either trolling me hard because I want you to answer whether that muffler is really loud or... I'm confused.:confused:

How do you know that the car has an engine swap? Do you know the person who owns this car?

If so, SAME questions as before.

Members don't see this ad :)
So that red car you posted is NOT your car?

Wait, seriously? You were posting about putting $4k of crap in a car worth 3k and it being less than a prius, then when questioned about whether you were a ricer, you responded with 3-4 posts with pictures of cars, and now it's not your car?

Why in the world would you get so defensive over it?

Why not before the 3 posts about cars that aren't 'riced', just say, "This isn't my car, I was just using at as an example)

You are either trolling me hard because I want you to answer whether that muffler is really loud or... I'm confused.:confused:

How do you know that the car has an engine swap? Do you know the person who owns this car?

If so, SAME questions as before.
This is not a stock 92-95 motor.
IMG_0374.jpg

Currently driving a 2003 camry...

My lavish upgrade will be to put alloy wheels on it or something, so I can stop having to buy hubcaps once or twice a year after somebody steals them. Baller.

In another 10 years though I'd like to get a Jaguar. Luxury vehicle that you rarely see on the road, at least in my area. Too many Benz/BMW drivers around for my liking.
Aye. Everyone and their mother is driving a BMW or Benz in Philadelphia. I wonder how the majority of people afford them. My indigent patients have so many more fancy things than me. I don't understand the finances behind all of it.

I was hoping to get an Infiniti a few years into attendingship, but those are now popping up all over the place as well.

Aye. Everyone and their mother is driving a BMW or Benz in Philadelphia. I wonder how the majority of people afford them. My indigent patients have so many more fancy things than me. I don't understand the finances behind all of it.

I was hoping to get an Infiniti a few years into attendingship, but those are now popping up all over the place as well.

I bet if you get a Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, it would be rare.

I will own a db9 some day even if I have to sell my house to do so

I love the DBS. All time favorite. Along with the R8.

They have always been popping up all over the place. They aren't rare cars?

They have always been popping up all over the place. They aren't rare cars?
I haven't seen too many in Philadelphia to be honest, at least the newer models. I see a good amount of the older models. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

I could probably get one of the Tesla sport models and not have to worry about many people having that, eh?

I haven't seen too many in Philadelphia to be honest, at least the newer models. I see a good amount of the older models. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

I could probably get one of the Tesla sport models and not have to worry about many people having that, eh?

There are two attendings at my hospital with teslas.

Members don't see this ad :)

People would rather pay to lease a 5 series than pay a $20 copy for their PCP or more than $10 a month for their prescription. I'll get used to it someday I'm sure.

Thanks for the info.

I'm asking how you know all this if this is not you car. And if you're googling stuff online, then why are you wasting your time doing so?

It's probably a member's car from a car forum he frequents. At least that is what I am assuming.

Me too. My point is the Civic I posted first with the normal red paint job is the one I like. I'm not saying the flaming Civic is cool in any shape or form.

I meant the red one you posted before too. Plus any of the other cars you've posted after that. Mechanical modifications are one thing but aftermarket body modifications are what teenagers put on their cars not doctors. I'd have more respect for the guy with the 93 accord in the physicians parking lot than any of those.

LOLWUT

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I meant the red one you posted before too. Plus any of the other cars you've posted after that. Mechanical modifications are one thing but aftermarket body modifications are what teenagers put on their cars not doctors. I'd have more respect for the guy with the 93 accord in the physicians parking lot than any of those.

You must be very boring.

Or not being artsy enough. That's what all the aesthetic mods are! Art. lolz

Previously, 2004 SL65, but I sold that when I moved away from CA. I had a '08 330xi and now have a '12 Acura TL SH. Will probably get another convertible when I move back to CA.

Now:
9926_596609577492_4107819_n.jpg

Will probably either get an Audi TT-RS or a BMW 335i next year, depending on whether it's realistic to have a car where I match.
ttrs_800.jpg

Cars are just instruments to get you from point A to B safely and comfortably. Most people are unlikely to drive over 80-90 mph, so the function of a sports car is the cool factor and to let other know you are successful. When you become a doctor, most people will already know that you are successful, so you dont need a car to tell people that. Also why would you want random strangers knowing that you have money? That puts you at risk of someone causing a fender bender and suing you. Also the first time I sat in a sports car it felt very crampy. Cabin space in sports car is usually smaller than a 4 door. Dont waste your money on a depreciating asset that can be so easily dented.

clothes are just instruments to hide your junk from those next to you. Most people are unlikely to do any runway modeling, so the function of a decent wardrobe is to let others know you are successful. When you become a doctor, most people will already know that you are successful, so you dont need clothing to tell people that. Also why would you want random strangers knowing that you have money? That puts you at risk of someone beating you pu and stripping your linens from your back. Also the first time i wore a nicely tailored shirt it felt too tight :'(. Leg space is usually smaller in nice pants than baggy painter's jeans. Dont waste your money on a depreciating asset that can be so easily stolen, wear cardboard and leaves instead.

fyp

Cars are just instruments to get you from point A to B safely and comfortably. Most people are unlikely to drive over 80-90 mph, so the function of a sports car is the cool factor and to let other know you are successful. When you become a doctor, most people will already know that you are successful, so you dont need a car to tell people that. Also why would you want random strangers knowing that you have money? That puts you at risk of someone causing a fender bender and suing you. Also the first time I sat in a sports car it felt very crampy. Cabin space in sports car is usually smaller than a 4 door. Dont waste your money on a depreciating asset that can be so easily dented.

I read your post like you had adenoids.

Have you ever driven a sports car? Honestly I would buy one even if I had assurance that nobody would ever see me in it

Yes, because not worrying if my car can outrace your car while looking like it belongs in Fast and Furious makes me boring...

There are usually economic factors which limit the description above :laugh:
If they look like that then chances are they wont be winning any races.

"Aw that slight bump in the road ripped off my body kit yo! because I replaced my shocks with steel rods and have my car sitting 4 microns above the surface of the road due to a fundamental misunderstanding of physics and "downforce""
:laugh:
seriously..... you look at the people who are truly successful in any of the racing subtypes and not a one of their cars looks like that.

Would like to match in a program in a big city so I can walk to work or take public transport. I hate driving in traffic and all the hassles that come with car ownership. :/

Would like to match in a program in a big city so I can walk to work or take public transport. I hate driving in traffic and all the hassles that come with car ownership. :/

But you prefer riding in crowded subways/buses to work? I rather be in a car in traffic with my own space, my own climate control, no fat people melting over me or sweating over me, my own music playing instead of taking public transportation. But that's just me.

Are those Volk GT-Vs? I used to have a 350Z, similar enough car, just a crappier ride and interior. I loved that car. It was a blast to drive.

Haha great eye, I'm impressed. They are indeed Volk GT-V's. Yeah it's been a fun ride esp w/ all the basic bolt-ons.

Haha great eye, I'm impressed. They are indeed Volk GT-V's. Yeah it's been a fun ride esp w/ all the basic bolt-ons.

Yeah, the Volk TE37 in Mercury Silver are my all time favorite wheels for those cars. Could never afford to spend $3000 on wheels, though. I had a Nismo exhaust, Motordyne 5/16 plenum spacer, and some Berk Tech HFC. Didn't feel any gains from anything though lol.

1b8c8943_350x700px-LL-4ad90b08_Not-sure-if-serious2.jpeg

1997 Volvo S90 with 230k miles. :(

I bought it when I turned 17... It will never die.

Right now: Mazda2
In future: one of Mazda speed3, focus ST hatch, or porsche cayman S

I'm from NJ so I share the sentiment, both in noticing a lot of Infiniti drivers popping up as well as seeing a lot of people cruising in luxury vehicles who likely don't have the corresponding income.

I guess if your house is foreclosed upon you should have a nice vehicle to call your home... if that isn't repossessed in the process anyways..

I'm from NJ so I share the sentiment, both in noticing a lot of Infiniti drivers popping up as well as seeing a lot of people cruising in luxury vehicles who likely don't have the corresponding income.

I guess if your house is foreclosed upon you should have a nice vehicle to call your home... if that isn't repossessed in the process anyways..

Ya most of 'em are financed. We bought our car straight cash. First we get money, then we spend it :) Unlike the majority of Americans who first spend money and then just keep paying off bills their whole lives.

I don't own a car, I don't even have a driver's license, unfortunately.
AND I am 23, it's pretty sad.

But you prefer riding in crowded subways/buses to work? I rather be in a car in traffic with my own space, my own climate control, no fat people melting over me or sweating over me, my own music playing instead of taking public transportation. But that's just me.

I took public transit during undergrad and MS1 and MS2 years (city bus) and neither were really ever crowded to the point people had fat rolls on me. I took the train to work everyday back when I had a job and had a nice size seat and either slept or did work...much more preferred to driving.

Either way, I'm a huge car guy and would prefer not to drive to work. I like cars that are for the enjoyment of driving on a twisty road for the weekends...not stop and go traffic. This year I have to use my car to get to clinical duties (6-speed sports car) and it gets pretty annoying fast with all the traffic lights.

Edit: To answer the OP's question, I don't plan on selling my car ever. I will probably add (well after 6 years of residency) a Land Rover Defender 110, Porsche 993 Turbo, and an E39 M5 (assuming I could find a nice one of those by then) and call it a day.

I don't own a car, I don't even have a driver's license, unfortunately.
AND I am 23, it's pretty sad.

It depends on where you practice. I would imagine as a doctor though you would eventually want to be able to transport yourself. I don't know about your situation. I know that when I was 14 I wanted to learn how to drive (had to wait till I was 16 unfortunately)

Of course!! The one with the seagull wings!! (Who has that???) (originally that was around 450k and now you can have one for about 190k) :laugh:

And agree, too many Mercedes and BMWs for my liking..
Mercedes folks feel they have "prestige"..// Its not like the Mercedes folk said "You are a nice guy and figured out a way for you to get 80 miles/gallon of gas in their vehicles....

And the BMW is basically becoming the "knucklehead mobile" (everyone and his mother has that)

They say BMW stands for:
1)Bring Me to Wall street
2)Break My Wallet
3)Break My Windows
4)There is one more but Im not going to say it..

Although Lexus is supposedly a smooth luzury car.. Its way too bland for me with little sports appeal.. Just my opinion

If anything Id go with a unique Infinity....:xf:

Last edited:
It depends on where you practice. I would imagine as a doctor though you would eventually want to be able to transport yourself. I don't know about your situation. I know that when I was 14 I wanted to learn how to drive (had to wait till I was 16 unfortunately)

I just never really got to it for some reason.
I've always lived within walking distance from highschool/University, and I had no special desire or need to drive. But yeah, it's currently on my to do ASAP list.

Clearly all of you knocking BMWs haven't ever driven them. As a high school/undergrad student, I worked at my uncle's used car lot. He had several very wealthy clients who got bored of cars very quickly, and that meant I got to drive quite a variety of cars. Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Bentley, Jaguar, Ferrari, Vipers, Corvettes, Range Rovers, classics, etc. I prefer BMW's styling, handling, performance and features better than anything else in its price range. That's not based on "only DBs drive BMWs", but actual experience and side by side comparison.

For a daily driver, the next car I'll get will likely be a 335xi. A 911 would be nice in 10 years. At some point, I'm going to own a 356 speedster. I think the wife wants a Rover.

Last edited:
Not so rare around Philly. Nor are Bentleys, Maseratis, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Rolls Royces. Porsche, Benz, BMW are a dime a dozen here. You get the picture. Astons are the ones I see the least. (Yay, living by the Main Line and seeing everyone else's sweet rides.)

What I did see that shocked the crap out of me was a Fisker. What a sweet looking but expensive grocery getter.

I've gradually fallen in love with the Panamera, nothing like a car with launch control that can take the future kiddies to school.

Clearly all of you knocking BMWs haven't ever driven them. As a high school/undergrad student, I worked at my uncle's used car lot. He had several very wealthy clients who got bored of cars very quickly, and that meant I got to drive quite a variety of cars. Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Bentley, Jaguar, Ferrari, Vipers, Corvettes, Range Rovers, classics, etc. I prefer BMW's styling, handling, performance and features better than anything else in its price range. That's not based on "only DBs drive BMWs", but actual experience and side by side comparison.

For a daily driver, the next car I'll get will likely be a 335xi. A 911 would be nice in 10 years. At some point, I'm going to own a 356 speedster. I think the wife wants a Rover.

Anyone else hate the styling in the new 3 series? Not a fan of the way the new headlights look at all.

Side by side comparison: http://wot.motortrend.com/refreshing-or-revolting-2012-bmw-3-series-126525.html

Not my favorite. I think the 3 series styling peaked with the e46.

images

I like this one. Guess what year its from. It has great counter-measures to laser speed enforcement. PM me if you want details on how speed lasers work, the optics behind them and how to counter them to a certain extent :p