Your Disorder of Interest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackD

-
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure this has been asked before but hell if i can find the thread. What is the disorder you are most interested in? You can do a list of the top few if you like. Who am i to stop you?

For me it is paranoid schizophrenia.

Some runners up are somatization disorder, PTSD, and schizotypal personality disorder.

Members don't see this ad.

Depression/Tobacco addiction (I know the DSM specifies nicotine, but I take issue with that so I'm going with tobacco:) ). I put them on the same line because I'm primarily interested in their interplay and common factors that might contribute to the development of both.

Close seconds include other addictions and various health psych issues that aren't really psychological disorders in the typical sense (weight management, cancer diagnosis, etc.), they more often the cause or result of other psychological disorders.

Though my interest in the rest pretty much only extends as far as how they interact with the primary two.

Members don't see this ad :)
Autism.

And completely unrelated to that....meaning of life/ values issues. :D

Cluster B personality disorders

Sexual Dysfunctions, particularly in victims of sexual abuse.

Mark

Adolescent suicide and non-suicidal self-injury.

Anorexia Nervosa. Secondarily Axis-II and sexual trauma/PTSD.

In the last couple of years I've developed a real interest in first response crisis intervention (natural disasters, school shootings, etc), though that isn't something I'd could ever do full-time.

Yeah...I like the happy Dx's.

In the last couple of years I've developed a real interest in first response crisis intervention (natural disasters, school shootings, etc), though that isn't something I'd could ever do full-time.

Yeah...I like the happy Dx's.

That's funny, I recently got interested in critical incident stress.

Schizophrenia, mania, and personality disorders (especially Borderline).

Honestly, most disorders interest me! But I've decided that I think I'd like to work with Borderline patients.

neuropsychological aspects of schizophrenia and schizophrenia spectrum disorders. Also, schizophrenia in late life, and how cognitive problems in geriatric schizophrenics differer from those with AD and other dementing illnesses. Is schizophrenia neurodegnerative itself?

PTSD.

The posts related to critical incident stress reminded me of this in case anyone is interested:

McNally, R. J., Bryant, R. A., & Ehlers, A. (2003). Does early psychological intervention promote recovery from posttraumatic stress? Psychological Science in the Public Interest, 4(2), 45-79.
http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/p040471.html

"Despite repeated attempts to document that psychological debriefing can prevent posttraumatic psychopathology, there is no convincing evidence that it does so. Even if the procedure is not harmful, its continued implementation may delay the development of truly effective crisis interventions, while wasting time, money and resources on a method that is, at best, inert."

Members don't see this ad :)
Social anxiety and GAD, substance abuse, and schizotypal personality disorder.

More broadly, interventions to improve well-being.

Most of my research isn't on dysfunction, but optimal functioning in particular populations and subclinical barriers to that functioning (being the happy shiny Counseling Psychologist I am).

But, seperately, disorder-wise, 302.2 Pedophilia, particularly exclusive type. Hopefully spending two of the upcoming years specializing in treatment and forensic consultation on it.
...I don't have a lot of competition for this one....

Primary interests (in no particular order):
Attachment Disorder
Conduct Disorder
Antisocial Personality Disorder

Secondary interests:
Borderline Personality Disorder
Pedophilia (especially child & adolescent perpetrators)

Population interests:
Foster children
Victims of childhood maltreament
Juvenile Deliquents
Later childhood adoptees
Low SES
etc.

But I've decided that I think I'd like to work with Borderline patients.

Good for you, that's brave, a lot of people won't take them on as patients. That would be a tough job but so great if you're able to help!

My primary interest is Borderline Personality Disorder. I also have interests in Anorexia Nervosa, OCD, and depression. I would like to work with the college-age population, so these all fit pretty well with that.

Co-morbid psychological distress related to chronic illness (jeez that's a mouthful). Includes adjustment, medication adherence, the role of stigmatization in this.

Sleep disorders
Eating disorders
PTSD
OCD

Ideal population: late teens/young adults.

Depression, anxiety, eating disorders and substance abuse.

Child and adolescent depression and anxiety disorders

I'm mainly interested in working with an aging population with dementia. Some main issues of interest are mood disorders in this population and also dementia caregiver stress.

Anything having to do with kids who've suffered abuse. Depression, PTSD, attachment disorder, so many disorders to choose from.

It's interesting to read the thoughts on pedophilia. I am like most, completely turned off by the thought of working with an offender. Then I got to thinking about child offenders (that older sibling who perps on a younger one or a neighbor)...I'm still trying to make up my mind how I'd feel about working with that kid.

Anxiety Disorders, primarily PTSD, GAD and Social Phobia. Also Cluster C PD's. I'd also want a population of primarily adults.

But I'm also very interested in optimal well-being, prevention/screening, and cultural/systemic factors around SES, race, etc. I've been doing screening for various Anxiety and Mood disorders to assist a couple girls with their dissertations, and I've been loving it.

Favorite age group: Adolescents and young adults

In my private practice:
Borderline PD
Bipolar DO

At the hospitals where I work:
Eating disorders and their commonly-seen comorbid psychiatric diagnoses
The role of parent/family support in treating EDs, especially fathers/father figures
Child maltreatment (I do the forensic interviews with sexual and physical abuse and neglect victims in the emergency department)

The dementing disorders of older age, especially Alzheimer's and vascular dementia. My main interests lie in aging and frail elderly populations. I am particularly interested in factors which may underlie the transition from normal aging to mild cognitive impairment and dementia.

I'm enjoying this thread, its really interesting to see what a diversity of interests we all have!

Learning disabilities (specifically reading) and Autism

Mood disorders, OCD and addiction.

Borderline PD
Bipolar DO

You work with borderline and bipolar teenagers? That sounds difficult.

Schizophrenia and related psychotic disorders. I am interning now (for my Masters) in a psychiatric hospital and I work primarly with adults with psychotic disorders. I do most of my work in the intensitve care unit. I am partcularly interested in talk therapy for the higher functioning end of this population and various non-verbal centered therapies for those who may be not functioning well enough or who are not reality based enough to work with talk therapy.

My other primary interest (although it is not a disorder itself) is self-injury.

Neurological/biological basis of addiction.

Disorders: OCD and PTSD. Ok, basically anxiety disorders in general.
Areas: Adult Clinical, Military, and Neuro (in that order)

You work with borderline and bipolar teenagers? That sounds difficult.
:) Yep. It's a very interesting population, and sessions are NEVER boring.

Right now I have 3 people on my client load who are diagnosed bipolar DO, borderline PD, and 2 of them have ADHD as well. They are 19, 20, and 26, and when I close my practice in July (to start med school) I will have been seeing them for almost 3, 2, and almost 2 years respectively. Termination is going to be very very very interesting.

The same psychiatrist referred all of them to me, so he is forever in my debt. :smuggrin:

They are 19, 20, and 26, and when I close my practice in July (to start med school)

Med school? Do you currently have a PhD or PsyD? If so, i think you may be the definition of "highly educated".

I'm a MSW/LCSW. I'll be "Master Doctor", not "Doctor Doctor". ;)

(That same psychiatrist told me I should look into a MPH as well. I think he's trying to kill me, but he denies it and starts laughing.)

Mood disorders, OCD and addiction.

Neurological/biological basis of addiction.

Who are the two of you working with, if you don't mind my asking? (Or applying to work with if you are not yet in a program). Feel free to PM if you prefer. Or not respond at all if you aren't comfortable saying. I'm just curious since it sounds like we have heavily overlapping research interests.

PTSD

Other areas of interest are attachment, addiction, bisexuality/sexual orientation, human-animal relationships, assessment, and neuropsychology.

PTSD

Other areas of interest are attachment, addiction, bisexuality/sexual orientation, human-animal relationships, assessment, and neuropsychology.

Woah you must be busy! That covers quite a spectrum.

Cluster B personality disorders

Same here. Personality disorders are so philosophically provocative. I also enjoy drunks and junkies and the terminally ill (there's quite some overlap among the latter).

Interests

Risk and resiliency factors for the development of psych issues such as PTSD, addictions, OCD and behavioural issues such as running away, prostitution, early school leaving... after childhood/adolescent trauma or loss.

Specific Populations

Foster kids
Adolescents
Young adults

I think he's trying to kill me, but he denies it and starts laughing.

The laugh means he is. ;)

Actually, my research supervisor asked me this today, and I didn't have an answer. I find EDs among the overweight and "normal" weight extremely interesting, but the research is that area feels glutted (no pun intended).

I currently work with research on Native American/rural populations, which is interesting, though, especially as they are the populations I hope to one day work with.

I'm a MSW/LCSW. I'll be "Master Doctor", not "Doctor Doctor". ;)

(That same psychiatrist told me I should look into a MPH as well. I think he's trying to kill me, but he denies it and starts laughing.)

I actually think "Master Doctor" sounds better, nicer ring to it. :D Orrr, it could also conjure up s/m images for some . . .

The laugh means he is. ;)

Actually, my research supervisor asked me this today, and I didn't have an answer. I find EDs among the overweight and "normal" weight extremely interesting, but the research is that area feels glutted (no pun intended).

I currently work with research on Native American/rural populations, which is interesting, though, especially as they are the populations I hope to one day work with.

In a somewhat related area....I was just talking to someone about the Fiji study from the late 90's, where they had a huge increase in the development of EDs after mainstream TV was brought to the island.

http://www.hms.harvard.edu/news/releases/599bodyimage.html