Your Disorder of Interest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anxiety d/o's (particularly ptsd) in children as a result of trauma. also depression and behavior d/o's such as adhd in children

Members don't see this ad.

-DID
-Dissociative Fugue
-Depersonalization Disorder

I have been reading about factitious disorder and all of the related disorders lately (one of the more disturbing disorders in my opinion) and i was wondering, would it be considered a psychosis, at least for those who actually injure themselves or others? If you purposefully break your arm or give yourself an infection so you can get sympathy, wouldn't that be considered a severe mental disorder? I have read about some pretty horrific examples and I would imainge you could say the person at least delusional or lack insight. It may not be in all cases but certainly there have to be some where you could call the person "psychotic".

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been reading about factitious disorder and all of the related disorders lately (one of the more disturbing disorders in my opinion) and i was wondering, would it be considered a psychosis, at least for those who actually injure themselves or others? If you purposefully break your arm or give yourself an infection so you can get sympathy, wouldn't that be considered a severe mental disorder? I have read about some pretty horrific examples and I would imainge you could say the person at least delusional or lack insight. It may not be in all cases but certainly there have to be some where you could call the person "psychotic".

Factitious disorder really isn't "purposeful". That would be malingering.

As for whether or not we can consider them psychotic, I suppose it would depend on their reality testing.

Yea, I'd say its pretty serious. Raynee is mistaken though, Factitious DOs are intentional, but just lack external incentives such as money, legal recourse, etc.), like malingering does. The goal is supposedly to gain the sick role for sympathy. I have never seen a case of Facticios D/O *(also referred to as Münchhausen Syndrome), but a person in in my program has. It rarely occurs in isolation, in that there are always other Axis I disorders (in my opinion the behavior is likely a function of the other Axis I disorder). Delusional in itself? Id say no. Patients with borderline PD often injury themselves, sometimes for attention, but it also can be in a borderline psychotic manner because they feel detached from themselves or "not real." Injuring themselves helps them to feel pain, and helps them to feel like they exist. Whether you could assign the Factitious DO in these cases, I'm really not sure. I think people with Factitious generally feign illnesses, instead of inducing superficial self harm though. Not really sure there though. The tricky apart about the diagnosis is that the presumed underlying motivation (assuming the sick role and gaining sympathy) lies at the heart of making the formal diagnosis. This can be difficult to pin down, and one might argue that this actually takes a pretty solid contact with reality, as it requires, planning, and understanding of the outcome of such behavior in order to obtain the objective.

Yea, I'd say its pretty serious. Raynee is mistaken though, Factitious DOs are intentional, but just lack external incentives such as money, legal recourse, etc.), like malingering does. The goal is supposedly to gain the sick role for sympathy.​

Yes I understand the external incentive distinction as well as the sick role being a key aspect of Factitious disorder , but I've also been told that most people suffering from Factitious disorder would NOT be able to articulate why they do what they do. To me, that means it isn't purposeful (at least not consciously so).

You might be correct there, but I was referring more to the fact that the symptoms themselves are intentionally produced by the individual, according to the DSM. The definition of the disorder assumes that they know the consequences of intentionally inducing symptoms (i.e., they will be attended to). However, they may lack insight into the reason they want to assume this sick role.

Disorder of interest: Substance Abuse among Severely Mentally Ill Populations
(I'm working with these dually diagnosed people right now at a Community Residence Home and love it).

psychotic disorders and in particular their similarities/differences between the more accepted/tolerated synesthesia effects

chronic ptsd especially due to childhood trauma/abuse and the physiological manifestations in adolescence/early adulthood

borderline personality disorder especially when other clinical disorders are markedly absent from current status/history

and not so much a disorder, but anything relating to neuro physio med stuff... what meds are for what receptors, what's similar to what, how patients might react differently to basically the same med (eg. ultram/effexor), etc, etc

Cluster B personality disorders

Awesome! I ran a study having to do with cluster Bs and gender.

Also, I just defended by honors thesis yesterday, which was about narcissism (or NPD) and anger expression.

I'm interested in adult psychopathology, particularly personality disorders and psychotic disorders. In particular, schizophrenia, schizotypal, and Cluster B types for personality disorders (Borderline, Antisocial, etc.).

I'm becoming more and more interested in the psychological effects of child sexual abuse

and

the psychoed/developmental effect of pediatric hiv/aids.

Members don't see this ad :)
My 'favourite' disorder is Autism, especially the neuropsychological aspects of it (althoug I don't know the true cause of this interest)...

Moreover recently I discover an interest in brain injury, and all the disorders related with it.

My 'favourite' disorder is Autism, especially the neuropsychological aspects of it (althoug I don't know the true cause of this interest)...

I love that you say that, people always ask "why are you interested in this?" and I'm like UHHHH... What am I supposed to say? "I'm interested in illicit drug use because it's cool"?? Someone should be interested in why people are interested in things, because I have no clue :p

Yeah, my room is full of books and articles about suicide and self-injury...I get asked a lot of questions and receive some really weird looks. I commonly have to explain that my studying it has nothing to do with any personal involvement.

I love that you say that, people always ask "why are you interested in this?" and I'm like UHHHH... What am I supposed to say? "I'm interested in illicit drug use because it's cool"?? Someone should be interested in why people are interested in things, because I have no clue :p

I get that a lot. I have worked with abused kids for years and that's my area of research interest as well as my clinical focus. People say: "how can you do that?!" and my response usually is something like "well, somebody has to!":rolleyes:

Yeah, my room is full of books and articles about suicide and self-injury...I get asked a lot of questions and receive some really weird looks. I commonly have to explain that my studying it has nothing to do with any personal involvement.

A lot of my most present work has been in the area of suicide prevention and related topics, and I've gotten a few, 'Wow...that must be morbid' comments.

Eating Disorders.

:)

I think that when the lay person thinks of psychology or a psychologist, they visualize someone sitting in an office, listening to a "sad" person talk. So, if they actually get into a discussion & ask specifics, it's probably pretty shocking to them to make the connection between the severely disturbed & the people who work with them.

I have a new favorite disorder.

Intermittent explosive disorder

Not because of what it is, just because the name is so ridiculous that it makes me laugh every time i hear it. I get about ten different mental images just from the name.

How hard would it be to come up with a better term for this disorder? How about Spontaneous Aggression Disorder? Not great but way better i think.

I have a new favorite disorder.

Intermittent explosive disorder

Not because of what it is, just because the name is so ridiculous that it makes me laugh every time i hear it. I get about ten different mental images just from the name.

How hard would it be to come up with a better term for this disorder? How about Spontaneous Aggression Disorder? Not great but way better i think.

Psychology is all about acronyms:

Spontaneous Aggression Disorder.......S.A.D......already have one of those.

Intermittent Explosive Disorder.......I.E.D.....talk about irony, as it also means "Improvised Explosive Device", which I think it quite accurate.

Of course Bipolar Disorder and Borderline Personality Disorder are often both referenced as BPD. doh!

Psychology is all about acronyms:

Spontaneous Aggression Disorder.......S.A.D......already have one of those.

Intermittent Explosive Disorder.......I.E.D.....talk about irony, as it also means "Improvised Explosive Device", which I think it quite accurate.

Of course Bipolar Disorder and Borderline Personality Disorder are often both referenced as BPD. doh!

And on that note be careful when going back and forth between conversations about engineering and sexual health at a party (yes, we're nerds).

I.E.D.'s are not the same as I.U.D.'s. Do not switch the two in conversation. I discovered that female engineers are confused and/or extremely concerned when you accidentally reference explosives being used as a method of birth control. (Hey, it WOULD work...might have a pretty lengthy side effect profile though...).

Oops.

Just thought I'd share my embarassing story with you folks.

That's too funny. My girlfriend just asked her gyno doc if there are any side effects from her I.E.D.......:laugh: I know thats probably TMI, but i think its funny, so tough....:)