Your Fav Instrument to use

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barryggg

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
we all practice in different areas but wanted to ask..what is your fav assesment instrument and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The ones I was actually trained to use in my doctoral education and fellowships.

Reactions: 8 users
I also prefer ones in which I feel personally competent and that other professionals identify as an area with which I have sufficient training to practice.

Unlike Wisneuro, that does not include the kazoo.

Reactions: 4 users
I really think administration of most tests is boring unless one has some kind of unique, usually neurological, presentation (neglect, perseveration, utilization behavior, etc.). Unlike most graduate students, I never found possible rotation or reversal of the block design all that fun or interesting.

The discussion could lead to a more robust discussion about the real power of any test in isolation. The MMPI has held up well over time and no doubt the structured nature of things like the ADOS are good too. I did alot of work (via my research lab) with the SCID and always wonder why this semi-structured interview is not more widely used for general psychological differential diagnosis?

It is also interesting how widely used and accepted the MCMI is given how much its trashed it is in various circles.

I really think administration of most tests is boring unless one has some kind of unique, usually neurological, presentation (neglect, perseveration, utilization behavior, etc.).

The discussion could lead to a more robust discussion about the real power of any test in isolation. The MMPI has held up well over time and no doubt the structured nature of things like the ADOS are good too. I did alot of work (via my research lab) with the SCID and always wonder why this semi-structured interview is not more widely used for general psychological differential diagnosis?

upload_2017-5-10_15-0-12.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
An hour or 2 of superficial checklists, scales, and an PAI...or a SCID?

It's more about getting an insurance company to pay for a 2+ hour diagnostic eval for psych issues. Easy to do in some VA settings, not easy at all in non-socialized medicine systems.

Reactions: 1 user
When I did my neuropsych practicum at a huge university hospital complex where I frequently had trouble finding my way around, I thought that the best measure was whether or not they found their way to our office.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's more about getting an insurance company to pay for a 2+ hour diagnostic eval for psych issues. Easy to do in some VA settings, not easy at all in non-socialized medicine systems.

I know 90791 only goes so far...but its has been set it up as an un-timed code, which sucks. My understanding is multiple units are not allowed for one visit?

When I did my neuropsych practicum at a huge university hospital complex where I frequently had trouble finding my way around, I thought that the best measure was whether or not they found their way to our office.

What floor are we on?

No...i know it looks like the basement, but its actually 1. Sorry. O points.

Reactions: 2 users
My colleague just got back from an intensive ADOS training workshop. He told me it was an electronic rabbit. Either he is losing it or he had too much fun in the evenings after the workshop.

I know 90791 only goes so far...but its has been set it up as an un-timed code, which sucks. My understanding is multiple units are not allowed for one visit?
Correct. In some instances, 90791 can be billed twice, but on different days and there needs to be a clear reason. It isn't something I do, but i've seen the process done successfully w the right documentation.

96116 is what I use to screen if more in-depth assessment is needed, and as a result I can do a more thorough intake and get it covered. I use it from the neuro side of things, though I doubt it'd fly for straight psych reasons. As you know, there are psych testing codes, but good luck getting more than a couple hours paid. I think insurances also require pre-cert...yet another reason why I don't mess w. anything I can't run through medical.

I do assessments and just assessments all day. (ok there is some report writing in there). But I love it.

The TOMM

First, hats off to Tom Tombaugh for naming his instrument TOMM.

Great face validity, only administered when you suspect ulterior motives to someone's presentation (so usually already have an intriguing case), easy to run, easy to score.

The TOMM

First, hats off to Tom Tombaugh for naming his instrument TOMM.

Great face validity, only administered when you suspect ulterior motives to someone's presentation (so usually already have an intriguing case), easy to run, easy to score.

Terrible sensitivity, though. Long instrument to give for that low of a sens., especially in certain populations.

My colleague just got back from an intensive ADOS training workshop. He told me it was an electronic rabbit. Either he is losing it or he had too much fun in the evenings after the workshop.

Haha, there's also the electronic elephant (my personal favorite). And the remote control car, although that tends to be more of a backup item.

Maybe we need @ClinicalABA to weigh in, I think he is the resident expert on the ADOS on this board.

I have a puppy, kitten, pig, rabbit, and sheep. My current go to is the puppy- it does backflips! It's on my desk next to the computer as I type this- kiddo left it there for me this morning. You can also use a remote controlled car and still be within protocol (I have a few of those too, but they tend to be HIGHLY preferred and often lead to tantrums when I try to move on to other items). And I have a bubble gun! And a squeeze rocket! I love the ADOS Toddler Module/Module One. Only drawback is that I have to sing "happy birthday" or "rubber ducky song" in front of strangers.

I also like the Bayley-III cognitive, as I get to flip a rubber ducky of a spoon! Gets 'em everytime. They actually pay me to do this. Makes the very occasional WPPSI tolerable (i hate freakin' zoo locations!).

Reactions: 1 users

Now that's an empirically validated, standardized testing protocol if I've ever seen one
menagerie_zpsfjiefzbm.jpg
!
I think we have the winner! Blows away timing someone making abstract designs out of red and white blocks. If I substitute an electronic flipping puppy for Block Design would that affect my standardized administration?
Now if we are talking play therapy...
These are my instruments of choice:
kidsandbats.jpg

Rorschach because of the looks I get.

If we're just speaking in terms of what are our "fav instruments to use," I so enjoy administering and scoring a ROR...:pompous:

(TO CORROBORATE WITH OTHER EMPIRICALLY-VALIDATED AND RELIABLE INSTRUMENTS).

Let the psychodiagnostic attacks begin...I'm fine with them.:nailbiting:

Reactions: 3 users
Clock drawing. Pound for pound champion of the neuropsych world.

Come now folks, the OP asked what people's favorite instrument to use was, not their favorite parlor game to play with patients. ;)

Hah! Everything's a game with a 20 month-old. There are really not many other options. What looks like cheap Chinese made crap is actually part of of series of presses to evaluate response to joint attention. I don't think I could ever go back to assessing adults- there just aren't impressed when I start to randomly juggle in the middle of an assessment.

Reactions: 1 users
Hah! Everything's a game with a 20 month-old. There are really not many other options. What looks like cheap Chinese made crap is actually part of of series of presses to evaluate response to joint attention. I don't think I could ever go back to assessing adults- there just aren't impressed when I start to randomly juggle in the middle of an assessment.

Oh no, the ADOS is a great instrument. I was talking about the real parlor game, the one that has been around for a while now.

. Over time they sometimes have to move to different (but as similar as possible) when the company they have been getting items from to make the kits quits making a particular item. Someone above mentioned a puppy that does flips- I want that one!

I worked in a clinic with the little ADOS bunny. Unfortunately, it's beady eyes had turned a awful shade of red, it's fur became matted from a hundred grubby hands, and the motor had started to go, leading to a grotesque "WUURRRR CLICK CLICK BURRRRGG" sound when you pressed the button.

The appropriate social behavior when the bunny came out to play? Running screaming from the room!

It's definitely a remote control rabbit. It's kind of annoying, actually. (I administer WAY too many ADOS batteries, clearly.) But the action figures are cool!