Lisochka

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2003
428
1
44
Visit site
Status
I was wondering if you could share your favorite books or CD's that helped you to prepare for the MCAT.

For example, I wanted to buy this book:

http://www.studentdoctor.net/bookstore/index.php?mode=Books&item=1893858243

Did anyone like it? I have heared that Verbal covered pretty good in the EK, so am I on the right track with this book?

Not only verbal, just please let us know what was useful for you (If you provide links to the prodact, it will help a lot!)
Thanks guys!
 

SF83

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
25
0
Status
When I studied I found the examKrackers bio to be the best. Kaplan was pretty weak in bio and i didnt study the kaplan bio at all even though i took the course but there g-chem was good (so is examkrackers).
 
About the Ads

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
9,809
5
TX
Status
Attending Physician
Lisochka said:
Did anyone like it? I have heared that Verbal covered pretty good in the EK, so am I on the right track with this book?
"covered pretty well" - oh the irony.

The strategy in EK is great but if you're not a great reader and you have some time I suggest you start with the Economist, New York Times Op-Ed or my personal favorite Philosophy (try Kant or Hume or something)... analyize the argument, the data used to support it. Any argument not supported? What would ruin their case if it turned out to be true? That kind of stuff.
 

Lisochka

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2003
428
1
44
Visit site
Status
Anastasis said:
"covered pretty well" - oh the irony.

The strategy in EK is great but if you're not a great reader and you have some time I suggest you start with the Economist, New York Times Op-Ed or my personal favorite Philosophy (try Kant or Hume or something)... analyize the argument, the data used to support it. Any argument not supported? What would ruin their case if it turned out to be true? That kind of stuff.

Oh, ok. Thank you for sharing with me. What is Economist? (Sorry, it is probably q stupid question, it is probably a magazine?)
What is "New York Times Op-Ed?"
what is "Philosophy (Kant or Hume or something)" Should I read philosophers like Hegel?
 

byzintinesun

New Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2005
4
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes, the economist is a magazine; New York Times, as in the newspaper (I assume); and Philosophy authors like Immanuel Kant, Capote, David Hume, and Max Schaler should send you well on your way for the review
 

byzintinesun

New Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2005
4
0
Status
Pre-Medical
I really like the fun approach of EK books for subject review - I am reviewing Bio and Orgo with them right now. However, I also plan to supplement my MCAT practice with Kaplan's Comprehensive review and the AAMC practice tests. I figure, the more exposure I have to varied tests, the better I will develop my test taking technique. As for the essay writing, I got an S grade on it by following Kaplan's step-wise method to answering the MCAT essay. I didn't really read background material very much prior to taking the MCAT as far as essay writing except that I listened to a lot of NPR, CNN, and BBC to keep up on current world events.
 

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
9,809
5
TX
Status
Attending Physician
byzintinesun said:
Yes, the economist is a magazine; New York Times, as in the newspaper (I assume); and Philosophy authors like Immanuel Kant, Capote, David Hume, and Max Schaler should send you well on your way for the review
Yeah what they said... and yes I meant the Newspaper. The Economist can get expensive if you subscribe. Philosophy books are free from the library and sometimes they have the economist and ny times as well, that's a good starting place. Start with Plato's the Cave Analogy (for no other reason than it's one of my favorites)
 

RayhanS1282

perpetually percolated
15+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2004
2,028
1
Sucking long and hard in New York
Visit site
Status
Okay, first off there is nothing "favorite" about anything MCAT related. The MCAT experience is similar to attaching clothespins to your sensitive nether-regions. But there are materials that maked the pain tolerable. These are the ones I thought helped me:

VR - 101 EK and Kaplan verbal exams (very helpful, very good practice and easily obtainable for around $10 on Ebay).
Physics - TPR's Physical Sciences Review Book for the concepts and Berkeley's books for practice (can buy them at http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html )
G-Chem - TPR's Physical Sciences Book and TBR for practice.
Biology - EK Bio Review book (very brief but very easy to read and understand) but the chapter on genetics is too short and basic on the edition I used so, might want to get a supplement if not comfortable with the topic. And for practice, get the EK 1001 Bio Questions which have MCAT styled passages
Organic - EK Org. book (very, very brief and to the point).

Best of luck.
 

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
9,809
5
TX
Status
Attending Physician
sorry, post was off the point...
 

hmm...

I yam what I yam
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
252
0
Status
how about kaplan 45 and kaplan comprehensive review?
 

Lisochka

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2003
428
1
44
Visit site
Status
RayhanS1282 said:
Okay, first off there is nothing "favorite" about anything MCAT related. The MCAT experience is similar to attaching clothespins to your sensitive nether-regions. But there are materials that maked the pain tolerable. These are the ones I thought helped me:

VR - 101 EK and Kaplan verbal exams (very helpful, very good practice and easily obtainable for around $10 on Ebay).
Physics - TPR's Physical Sciences Review Book for the concepts and Berkeley's books for practice (can buy them at http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html )
G-Chem - TPR's Physical Sciences Book and TBR for practice.
Biology - EK Bio Review book (very brief but very easy to read and understand) but the chapter on genetics is too short and basic on the edition I used so, might want to get a supplement if not comfortable with the topic. And for practice, get the EK 1001 Bio Questions which have MCAT styled passages
Organic - EK Org. book (very, very brief and to the point).

Best of luck.
hey guys, when you talk about EK 101 for verbal, do you mean this book?
http://www.studentdoctor.net/bookst...item=1893858367

znd this, which is probably the same

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/18...103-6978484-0113416?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Biology, am I right? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/18...103-6978484-0113416?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Organic
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/18...103-6978484-0113416?s=books&v=glance&n=283155
and
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/18...103-6978484-0113416?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Did I find the right EK?
thank you :love:
 

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
9,809
5
TX
Status
Attending Physician
Well I couldn't get that first link to work but all the other ones looked right. Just make sure you get at least the 5th ed (I think one link was to the 4th) Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think earlier editions have alot of errata. Looks like you're all set! Good luck, you'll do great! :love: :luck:
 
About the Ads