Your Favorite Novel?

About the Ads
About the Ads

TamarMD

10+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2006
  1. Pre-Medical
    Are you serious? That was one of the most horrible books I've ever read...
    there were sentence in that book that must have gone on for 3 pages.

At least you read it. I was supposed to read it for AP English. My own teacher didn't like the book. She said the only reason she was making us read it was because SHE had to read it when she took AP English. After 3 days she realized no one was going to open the book and we moved on to Things Fall Apart.

Stick1360

10+ Year Member
    Jun 18, 2008
    1. Pre-Medical
      Anything by Tolstoy or Dostoevsky...Brothers Karamazov was really good, but all the Russian stuff is very deep and contemplative if you want to read something worthwhile...and YES Harry Potter is amazing, though Ron looks like a tool in the movies

geogil

Still training.
      10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      May 1, 2006
      1. Fellow [Any Field]
        Angels and Demons

That piece of excrement hardly merits the title "novel". Labelling it as one puts Dan Brown in the same company as Tolstoy, Balzac, deLafayette, and other, real writers. Dan Brown is a hack and his execrable prose would put a marginally literate 6th grade creative writing student to shame.

In other news, All quiet on the western front is a great book.

About the Ads

bcat85

10+ Year Member
        Nov 5, 2007
        Southeast
        1. Resident [Any Field]

foster033

10+ Year Member
          Nov 8, 2007
          Columbus, OH
          1. Medical Student
            House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski

I tried to read that book, but it was too much effort...I could never make it all the way through.

For those of you that have never seen it...it's written in a very 'creative' style. You have to turn the book upside down and sideways on some pages, some pages only have a few words, and there are about a million footnotes, which also have footnotes...and usually to sources that don't actually exist.

barto123

10+ Year Member
            Jun 18, 2007
              My favorite other than those listed: The God of Small Things

sorry, but IMO this is trash. supposedly creative prose comes off as awkward and jumpy. unoriginal and depressive characters that lack depth, not to mention the snail paced plot, and the unnecessary and gratuitous twist at the end which can easily be missed and perhaps for the better. the booker prize? at a loss...

but 1984, one hundred years, crime and punishment, those are the tops...

anyone read the road? i dont get it.... why was that considered great?

About the Ads

Livingapparatus

10+ Year Member
              7+ Year Member
              Sep 29, 2007
              PHX
              1. Pre-Medical
                What would you say are the implications of this book for the disabled or those with a mental illness?

Testing me are we?:D

I personally do not think the world should function the way ayn had invisioned it. I believe in helping people who need to be helped not people who will not even help themselves.

thats my short and sweet answer

and it fires me up!!

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
                10+ Year Member
                Jul 14, 2007
                  I agree I thought heart of darkness was horrid.

Livingapparatus said:
                  I personally do not think the world should function the way ayn had invisioned it. I believe in helping people who need to be helped not people who will not even help themselves.

To livingapparatus, don't you think that some of those who are unwilling to help themselves are simply the product of their environment? That being one which fosters negligence and a lack of initiative?

ManualEvac

10+ Year Member
                  5+ Year Member
                  May 16, 2008
                  1. Pre-Medical
                    Anything by Tolstoy or Dostoevsky...Brothers Karamazov was really good, but all the Russian stuff is very deep and contemplative if you want to read something worthwhile...and YES Harry Potter is amazing, though Ron looks like a tool in the movies

Wow...Brothers Karamazov and Harry Potter...your really run the gamut don't you?

I'm kind of the same way. I love the new Volokhonsky/Peaver translation of War and Peace AND the Bearenstain Bears and "Too Much Candy."

About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.