• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Your Favorite Novel?

aaj117

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2007
NYC
  1. Medical Student
    It's quite surprising how many Objectivists are going to medical school.

Anyway here is my mixed up list.

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man: James Joyce
    The Big Sleep: Raymond Chandler
    The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay: Michael Chabon
    A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius: Dave Eggers
    On the Road: Jack Kerouac

good call on heartbreaking work of staggering genius, totally forgot to include eggers in my list. Oh and portrait of the artist. what do you mean by objectivists?

mike1618

10+ Year Member
    Jul 1, 2006
    Tampa
    1. Other Health Professions Student
      I think Atlas Shrugged should be required reading for all medical students. I don't understand your statement about having quite a few objectivists in this forum. If we had more objectivists in the medical profession, the state of our industry would be much more stable.

About the Ads

EpiPEN

Aegis of Immortality
      10+ Year Member
      Mar 13, 2008
      La Jolla
      1. Medical Student
        I will admit that there were points in some of the books that I was thinking, "man, don't I have to read something about the Shoen in Heian period Japan..."

Then it was a toss up. On both sides I had crap I didn't care about. However, I knew with the Wheel of Time... it was going to get better in about 100 pages.

You mean you just try your best to ignore the 100 pages about the girls in the story once every other chapter? ;)

mike1618

10+ Year Member
        Jul 1, 2006
        Tampa
        1. Other Health Professions Student
          A better phrasing would have been "If more pre-meds read Atlas Shrugged, our industry would be in a much better place right now". I'm not sure that having students read a certain book would constitute anti-objectivism. One is required to read many books during school for educational purposes. That does not mean that the read material must be believed. The book would be good for everyone to read even if they are completely against the philosophy; just like me reading books that are against my beliefs would be good to broaden my outlook.

Required reading does not force beliefs, it promotes open-mindedness and education. Whether one opposes or agrees with the book is his/her prerogative.

EpiPEN

Aegis of Immortality
          10+ Year Member
          Mar 13, 2008
          La Jolla
          1. Medical Student
            Don't knock the last few books of the Wheel of Time too much. Its true Jordan got bogged down in books 6-10 and they were slow paced, book 11 was amazing and was as good as the first few books in the series. Even the slow middle books aren't too bad if they're all read back to back. They were just disappointing after a two year wait... Book 10, arguably the worst in the series, managed to begin wrapping things up enough that there was substantial plot movement in book 11. Jordan got ahead of himself and started too many side plots, but the end is near. A Memory of Light is *guaranteed* to be the last one in the series, and the new author really seems to have it together. The Wheel of Time is still my favorite series, and may Robert Jordan rest in peace.

slow paced is an understatement. There are time after I finished Jordan's 800 paged monsters where I've wondered was it on page 300 or 500 that my senses have grown numb. Honestly I think the only reason I kept reading was for the sake of the earlier books. This series has gone on for so long that you know all the Jordan readers will have to re-read the whole series again once it's all published just so that they can still remember who's who. We'll see what the new author has to offer. Book 11 was refreshing, but Iono if it was on par with book 1-4. Though I still say Goodkind should have written the last book. If he copied Jordan's style/plot and wrote a whole series (which was actually fairly entertaining) off of it, then he would know how to end it. Oh I know, I'll just wait for the last book of the Sword of Truth series and read it after replacing all the names with names from Wheel of Time! :D

dienekes88

10+ Year Member
            Jan 21, 2008
            1. Fellow [Any Field]
              slow paced is an understatement. There are time after I finished Jordan's 800 paged monsters where I've wondered was it on page 300 or 500 that my senses have grown numb. Honestly I think the only reason I kept reading was for the sake of the earlier books. This series has gone on for so long that you know all the Jordan readers will have to re-read the whole series again once it's all published just so that they can still remember who's who. We'll see what the new author has to offer. Book 11 was refreshing, but Iono if it was on par with book 1-4. Though I still say Goodkind should have written the last book. If he copied Jordan's style/plot and wrote a whole series (which was actually fairly entertaining) off of it, then he would know how to end it. Oh I know, I'll just wait for the last book of the Sword of Truth series and read it after replacing all the names with names from Wheel of Time! :D

http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/

:thumbup:

We probably won't have time to reread the entire series in med school.

jult24er

10+ Year Member
              Jul 25, 2007
              1. Pre-Medical
                That's my favorite. Of the ones I've read, that one's the most cohesive.:thumbup:

Cohesive! yup, good word for it, kind of self-contained, nice symmetry. unlike wind-up ... uh oh, maybe liking murukami is a sign of waitlist potential. His characters do seem waitlisted - always applying, never hearing a definitive answer back ...

still no others for Gadsby?

About the Ads

AlbaMD

10+ Year Member
                Jun 25, 2008
                California
                1. Medical Student
                  i don't get why people love this book so much. I honestly hated it, but so many people i talk to describe it as one of their favorites. Actually, i have a few novels that are by far my LEAST favorite, that many people love. I hated Master and Margarita, The World According to Garp, Slaughterhouse Five (And Cat's Craddle also by Vonnegut), and Les Miserables. I plan to at some point in my life, hunt down these authors (or the few who are still alive) and demand my money and those hours of my life back.

I'm Russian, my mother teaches Russian literature and loves Bulgakov (so the first time (out of ~100) I read Master and Margarita was at the age of 10), and I am passionate about Soviet history. Unless you're Russian/ from a former Soviet Union, I think you cannot truly appreciate Bulgakov's greatness. Too many subtle references to 1920s-1930s in the USSR. Plus if you read it in any language other than Russian you miss out on the brilliant language of the masterpiece.

Raryn

Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
                  10+ Year Member
                  Verified Expert
                  Apr 25, 2008
                  1. Attending Physician
                    I'm Russian, my mother teaches Russian literature and loves Bulgakov (so the first time (out of ~100) I read Master and Margarita was at the age of 10), and I am passionate about Soviet history. Unless you're Russian/ from a former Soviet Union, I think you cannot truly appreciate Bulgakov's greatness. Too many subtle references to 1920s-1930s in the USSR. Plus if you read it in any language other than Russian you miss out on the brilliant language of the masterpiece.
                    Bulgakov's Heart of a Dog was a very good book as well. Though I didn't read it in Russian, since I read too damned slowly in that language... No practice at all.

aaj117

10+ Year Member
                    7+ Year Member
                    Jul 5, 2007
                    NYC
                    1. Medical Student
                      Yeah, John Irving...can't go wrong there...Cider House Rules

Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson ...

Vonnegut!

oh............ALL OF TOM ROBBINS .... :thumbup:
                      Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates

-stiz

Hahaha wowwww we have the exact opposite taste in novels!! I hate john irving, in my opinion he owes me $12 and 8 hours of my life after world according to garp. And i feel similarly about vonnegut, after cat's cradle. Not a Stephenson fan either, but i haven't read anything by tom robbins.

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
                      15+ Year Member
                      Feb 21, 2004
                      1. Medical Student
                      2. Resident [Any Field]
                        The house of spirits by isabella allende (same genre as Gabriel Marquez's 100 years of solitude)
                        Lord of the Rings series including The Hobbit
                        Harry Potter series
                        The death of ivan illych by Leo tolstoy
                        The portion of the narnia series I actually read but esp. the first book (The lion the witch and the wardrobe)

Those are my favs.

I have medical favs too like Another Day in the frontal Lobe.

About the Ads

WolverineDoc13

Good Times in the Midwest
                        10+ Year Member
                        Dec 27, 2008
                        1. Medical Student
                          The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
                          Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison

-- I'm basically obsessed with Toni Morrison

I also love "And the Band Played On" but that book pisses me off every time I read it.

I've also always loved "The Phantom Tollbooth," though I haven't read it since the seventh grade, ha.

Evergrey

10+ Year Member
                          Dec 27, 2008
                          1. Medical Student
                            "i hope they serve beer in hell" (tucker max) :laugh:

rofl, wasn't expecting to see that book in this thread, but yeah, hilarious. I let some of my female friends borrow the book -- they were repulsed. Secretly, I thought that they were afraid of admitting that someone so morally degenerate was ridiculously funny! Actually, it wasn't so secret, I brought it up with them and they grudgingly admitted that he was the scum of the earth, but managed to provide them with a few good laughs.

Artimacia

can do stuff real good
                            10+ Year Member
                            Apr 30, 2008
                            1. Pre-Medical
                              There are a few books I've read that I really like:

1) In the Belly of the Beast - Jack Henry Abbot, I'm working on it now, so far it's pretty good

2) A Child Called It - David Pelzer, Very sad story

3) Running With Scissors - Augusten Burroughs, funny but sometimes a little over done

4) Stiff - Mary Roach, Funny way to look at the history of the human body relating to medicine and science

5) My Lobotomy - Howard Dully, just a random book I bought, it's really good

6) The Year of Living Biblically - A.J. Jacobs, About an atheist guy trying to follow all of the rules of the bible for a year, really funny

lainey234

10+ Year Member
                              7+ Year Member
                              Jan 19, 2006
                              Out of the cold
                              1. Medical Student
                                Awesome thread guys, it's reminded me to go back and re-read some books I haven't thought of in too long. Adding my own:

100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

And also, because she is the only author I ever wrote to (at age 11)

Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'engle :)

Nomdeplume

(nom nom nom)
                                10+ Year Member
                                May 17, 2008
                                1. Pre-Medical
                                  I agree about 1984 and A Clockwork Orange. Two of my favorites.

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

This is near the top of my to-read list. Gotta love Cyberpunk.

And anything by Crichton

I think this is my answer, too.

Other great books I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
                                  Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
                                  The Stranger - Albert Camus
                                  Neuromancer - William Gibson, an early Cyberpunk book

I'd also like to say that this thread is awesome.

About the Ads
                                  This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                  7. This thread is locked.